Fantic Engine Starting Backwards!

iconic558

Well I'd heard it was possible but saw it with my own eyes yesterday.....I wish I'd had a camera to take a snap of the guys face when he let the clutch out!

Always thought this was a Villiers party trick, is it common on Fantics....can't tell you which model it was?

As Above , timing got to be off ... Never seen a 240 or 300 do it , but the minarelli powered bikes may .... And points are not required ....

Reason I believe is more common to bikes with points is that normally the point gap starts to close up over time causing

ignition closer to TDC

Yeah, my 200 dragged me back down Cameron Hill after stalling, despite perfect timing. Bultacos were favourite for doing it; back in the days when we did things like riding to school on the Bulto I reversed in to my French teacher's car after the motor hesitated then changed direction while waiting at a give way line. No damage to the car fortunately.

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

I had a Fantic 125 that used to do this, once I pulled up with it ticking over, had a chat and then pulled off again, backwards! It changed while ticking over! We then used to bump it backwards and have loads of fun trying to master backwards riding, we never did. I had a 250 Bultaco that did this on a climb when I paused and then sat down gave it hand full let the clutch out and promptly shot backwards down the hill ending in a rather ugly mess at the bottom!