Self-Minding

sammyd173

Thought I would share this 'top tip' with my Trials brethren which has been helping me recently.

If I find my concentration going towards the end of a practice session, I'll start 'self-minding', ie talking out loud to myself about what I should be doing as I'm doing it.

Curiously I find it most effective when I adopt a thick Yorkshire accent, specifically that of Martin Lampkin. "Come on Dougie! PerFECT! You've got about two inch. ForWARD!" Etc. it also helps that I practice alone so no one can hear me. Give it a try!

I`ve talked to myself for years, just in my mind. Now that I`m older I find myself talking out loud, usually at inopportune times. On the other hand, I`ve always talked to myself out loud while walking the section and holding my AIR bars complete with sounds.

• Like 1

I usually do that as I lay on the ground after a crash

"Hey dumb ass, MORE throttle next time"

"Quit being a pansy"

"Why does my bike hate me?"

Good thing I have not ridden the Nationals lately. Nowadays with the no vulgar language rule, I would five half the sections from my mouth!
  • Like 3

When I walk a section with my vintage AIR bars , I find myself always looking down at my AIR LiTE back tire to make sure it's where I need it to keep traction when I make my engine noises ... , got to keep moving forward ! :)

Glenn

• Like 2

90% of the time we are on the trials bikes we the comms on so I have to be careful what I say! Especially when i'm following her! Hehehehe

I'm good on the post mortem self-talking.... why did you that dickhead, too much throttle wally, not enough throttle you idiot, why did I lean that far over it was not necessary!

We get some funny looks when walking sections and people dont see comms... it looks like a massive self talk session!! Yeah, come along dear, around this rock, watch the ledge just after it, down to the right over the small log, then up the hill as normal, you'll be right, take it easy, take a dab before dropping bike, good luck sweetheart!

Imagine hearing a bloke say that, to seemingly no-one, while standing looking at a section! Sometimes she is at the other end of the section as we discuss it! Ahahahahahaha

Stay away from mental, self-talking guy on the Montesa that calls himself sweetheart!!!! Hehehehehehehe

Mags

• Like 1

haha I use air bars too, must look like a right loon. Don't really talk to myself during the section/ maneuver though as too busy concentrating. It's funny how you forget about all the people watching and the observer when you're actually in the section and focused. Problem is panic inducing situations tend to disconnect your brain from any motor functions, haha

Self minding is hard cuz you have to hold one hand up in the air and count the dabs

I always end in a 5 for some reason

Twice I can remember going up a 3 foot (ish) step from dead stop very little run up, and for some reason my clutch hand released from the bars and was waving to the crowd...................yep ended up with a 5. :wall:<_<