So Most Of You Are Snowed In, Right?

mags

I had no idea trials motorcycles were that good in snow! Cant say I want to try it as I love my warm, all year round ride climate, here in my area of Australia.

Would make for the softest landing though I suppose.

BillyT .... I showed the kids your 2ft of snow pic and it cracked them up!!! Hehehehehehe

And Guys... I showed my wife your snow drenched pic of your bike and she gave a very decided reply.... "No thanks! Not for this girl!"

Kids are back at school/university today and the temps are easing..... so back into some trials away from the house.

Most clubs are releasing the 2015 season "calendar of events" now as well.

Mags

• Like 1

What's interesting is when spring comes but it isn't mud season yet so the snow is mostly gone but the underlying ground is frozen from the day time melt/night time freeze cycle. There's moderate traction until you spin and find the dirt is partially ice so the transfer function is, good traction, good traction, NOTHING. Makes for some good throttle practice on off cambers as there is no recovery. Instant stop and wheel slide and you better hope there is traction where you put a foot down.

Heh, my state shuts down at midnight. Travel ban on non-essential travel and a state of emergency. We're supposed to get 2-3ft snow and have 50-70MPH gusts. Your basic nor'easter. Ayuh!

Edited by dan williams

Good luck with the snow storm Dan. We're supposed to be getting snow and cold weather by thursday over here, probably no where near as bad as what the US is getting, but we like to make mountains out of molehills haha

It's actually very pretty. All sparkly in the light but it's light and fluffy because of the cold so the wind is blowing it all around. Supposed to get really cold for the next week so it'll be here for a while. A gift from our Canadian friends.

Thanks Steve.

Section setter's face warmer???? Hehehehehehehe

Had a great ride on the road bike yesterday... about 32 deg C here, wind 15 kph. Ran a few places to pick up parts and then to tavern for a coffee and bite to eat.

Raining today so some static on the Monty... keep ya snow above the equator please!

Mags

Here in Northen England I would think only about 1 trial per year is cancelled because of snow, and that is likely to be because of snow on the access roads rather than the sections. 78/79 winter was a lot of snow and I think I had about 10 weeks without a trial but still took the bike out on the snow quite a bit.

It's actually very pretty. All sparkly in the light but it's light and fluffy because of the cold so the wind is blowing it all around. Supposed to get really cold for the next week so it'll be here for a while. A gift from our Canadian friends.

Thanks Steve.

I should note that it blows north up the east coast hitting NY, Boston, before dumping on us up here in Nova Scotia - Canada. Canada is actually a pretty large place. Some people don't realize that NS is only about 60 miles North of Boston (it is 360 miles as the crow flies but more West to East than South to North) I have sailed it a couple times in the Marblehead to Halifax race.

I get too busy teaching Biathlon in the winter to put on trials events. I'm teaching 50 people this year ranging in age from 8 to 77. I seem to be doing better at promoting Biathlon than I am promoting trials riding (I do both just for the fun of it). My dream is to have a mixed trials/Biathlon event where you have to carry a rifle and shoot targets between sections :). I think there was a scene like that in one of the bond films.

There are some that stud their tires the way that Dougie did for his ice hotel video but given we really only have 8 weeks or so of winter it doesn't hurt to take a little break.

Edited by michael_t