2005 300Txt Pro

podracer

HI EVERYBODY !!! MY 1S POST :)

I Need help... really

Im getting a new trials bike.. ( my first one )... Just sold my Enduro bike and decided to get 100% into trail riding !!! asap

So, Today I went to look at this GAS GAS 300TXT PTO 05 and... :)) it looked really clean and started at first kick ...no oil dripping...no rust...no visible signs of abuse... It was really clean... played with it at the guys garage doing figure 8ts ... the clutch felt really progressive, all the gears engaged really nice... etcc etcc...

Now,,,...in the other hand , there is a BETA 2006 rev 3 270 also i saw last week... this one started a little harder (took a little more to start ) than the GAS GAS .. went into all the gears fine.. idle was fine.. clutch feel was good too...but honestly,,this one, BUT DIDNT LOOKED AS CLEAN as the GAS GAS ..the rubber from the carb intake manifold both..front and rear were dry and a little craked...the pipe looked a little rusty...the handlebar was bent...the kick start lever was a little loose ...

I was told that a 2006 BETA 80% of ((( all from 2002 to 2008 ))) will had a mandatory replacement of the clutch cover to replace it because a inminent corrosion problem at the water pump... they are supose to rot just behind the impeller...and eventually will leak coolant into the engine oil...

Im 6'2" and weight 225 lbs. I come from riding Enduro an Mx bikes all my life...so in terms of adaptability i guess ill do just fine in the begining :)

Im really anxious to hear all opinios from you guys..please feel free to share with me... Im about to get any of these 2 bikes for this weekend.... cant wait !

BTW, for the last 4 days (ill better say nights ) endless hours reading in boths forums BETA & GAS GAS ... everyone seem to have tons of info... knowledge and lots of passion for Trail bikes !!! I leaned a lot of tech stuff just by reading !!

Now, advise between on which bike ( PROS & CONS ) is more reliable and solid ... or which bike takes more punishment For a begginer like me... and which bike will make me spend more time riding instead of more time fixing or replacing parts or wrenching at my garage :(( were i live there is no BETA dealer.. but we have a GAS GAS dealr whom has lots of parts at hand,,service and advise ill guess. Im in Venezuela , South America.

Thanks in advice..

Bless

Edited by podracer

Everyone loves these posts, stick it in the Gasgas section and you'll get one answer, stick it in the Beta section, another.

You could start a war putting it in the Sherco or Montesa sections!

Having owned both makes over the years of that vintage, I would lean to a Beta, but only just, I didn't think the mid 00's Gasgas's were as good as they should have been, they had better components overall, but didn't quite feel like they had, sorry everyone!

But I probably wouldn't choose that particular Beta described, unless it was cheap and I was planning to overall it anyway.

Saying that, I've a better spares backup here in the UK, but there are some quality components on the Gassers of those years when compared to other makes.

Neither models were "flash in the pan", they stayed in production a number of years and both got developed over that time, so spares won't be an issue even though there may not be a local dealer.

I would say buy on condition and knowlegde.

(both yours and the previous owner, you'd be amazed at how owners have owned a bike for X years, yet don't know how to clean an air filter!).

At this sort of age they'll all have had quite a fair bit of use and abuse and will no doubt require some fettling, if not some more indepth work.

I've found that generally, someone that's competed a machine for a while in organised events tend to have had a better understanding of maintenance than those that "play every now and then".

Also, check them out well, it's easy to make a tired machine look better with a few new plastic bits and some new grips!

Start off with the price asked "if it was usable", then start knocking off for things that need replacing, Tyres, Chains and Sprockets etc

Hopefully you'll get the right bike at the right price with enough in your pocket to sort it out for Sunday!

• Like 1

Everyone loves these posts, stick it in the Gasgas section and you'll get one answer, stick it in the Beta section, another.

You could start a war putting it in the Sherco or Montesa sections!

Having owned both makes over the years of that vintage, I would lean to a Beta, but only just, I didn't think the mid 00's Gasgas's were as good as they should have been, they had better components overall, but didn't quite feel like they had, sorry everyone!

But I probably wouldn't choose that particular Beta described, unless it was cheap and I was planning to overall it anyway.

Saying that, I've a better spares backup here in the UK, but there are some quality components on the Gassers of those years when compared to other makes.

Neither models were "flash in the pan", they stayed in production a number of years and both got developed over that time, so spares won't be an issue even though there may not be a local dealer.

I would say buy on condition and knowlegde.

(both yours and the previous owner, you'd be amazed at how owners have owned a bike for X years, yet don't know how to clean an air filter!).

At this sort of age they'll all have had quite a fair bit of use and abuse and will no doubt require some fettling, if not some more indepth work.

I've found that generally, someone that's competed a machine for a while in organised events tend to have had a better understanding of maintenance than those that "play every now and then".

Also, check them out well, it's easy to make a tired machine look better with a few new plastic bits and some new grips!

Start off with the price asked "if it was usable", then start knocking off for things that need replacing, Tyres, Chains and Sprockets etc

Hopefully you'll get the right bike at the right price with enough in your pocket to sort it out for Sunday!

Hi Goudrons..

Thanks a lot for your advice...

Other people here also advive me to get the Beta instead... I know ill have to replace the waterpump case cover...and both carbs rubber inlets... but i believe from what i saw here in the gas gas forums.. the 05 gas gas they have problem with transmission failures...engine cases breaking at the engine supports due to force from the base plate... and other details which kinda scare me a little.

On top of that, all the really experiened old fellows whom im planning to ride with , they all told me to get the Beta... I believe its because all of them... like 20 guys all have Betas.. ( they have been riding for 30 years + and almost had every bike thre is )....from old ones to the new evos..and they love them and told me they were solid machines !

So I believe today im going to buy the Beta 2006 Rev3 , and strip her down..clean her , buy the parts needed.. ( ruber air intakes for the carb...front and rear ) and pray not to see any coolant on the oil... if that happens then just change that magnesium clutch cover ... which are the 2 known things I know ill need, and begin this journey of Trail riding after being on enduro bikes of my life...winning a handfull of national titles on A and then A vet...hopefully ill learn how to ride this trail bike quickly.. :)))

Cant wait !!! Ill keep you all posted on my experience of my riding Trails bikes !!

And again You all will hear from me really soon... cause Im 42.. but when it comes to dirtbikes... I become like a 15 year old grommet... Tons of passion and heaps of competivity spirit !

Really thankfull of being a part of Trials Central !!

Thanks Again !

Bless

You'd probaby be better off over in the Beta forum if you're going to discuss Betas!

But neither are bad bikes and to be honest all bikes have there faults, no matter who makes them.

Both have big followings, help and advice is usually freely given and common issues have usually been discussed to death.

It's worth remembering, although common issues get reported often enough, not everyone suffers from them, there are plenty of happy Gasgas and Beta owners that have never suffered from leaky cases, buggered gearboxes and the likes.

• Like 1

By the description it sounded like the Gasser is the better fit (hard to argue with clean). But like others say any bike is great to start on. Beta, GG, Sherco, Jota, Scorpa- they all work fine and have their drawbacks. Hope you love trials as much as I do.

The Beta is a good workhorse, For a first bike it will be great.

The Gas Gas is superior in terms of weight, Suspension and riding.

The Beta will take less maintenance but the parts prices are high and mudguards are daylight robbery.

Good luck and have FUN!!

Dont mess too much time with choosing a brand, all are comparable. Choose what you think is best (offcoarse reading a bit is good and helpfull)

AND GO RIDE! :popcorn:

Maybe later you will get other wisses and want an other bike or so, but main thing is to have fun which should be possible with both!