Another Blow To Super Cub Trials Projects.

charlie prescott

Hi,

It is almost exactly forty-four years ago, as I type this post, that three trials riders had a thinking session whilst 'playing' on their trials bikes on waste ground behind Nellie Street in Heywood, Lancashire (as was in those far-off days).

They were John Smith, with his Norton 500T (that had belonged to his uncle, Ted Ogden), Derek Lord - who was without a bike at the time so was 'borrowing' the Norton from time to time and myself with my Ariel HT5. We were in a slight quandary, because the current trials of the day were seeing increasing use of Spanish machines and organisers were including increasingly tight turns and climbs in order to take marks from them.

But they were all relatively new, there were no 'used' ones in the market at prices that we as young working men with mortgages and young families to support could ever dream of affording..........

Our quandary was very simple - stop riding in trials and find some other form of recreation before we got hurt, because many sections were so tight you couldn't even wheel an old bike through them - or organise a totally separate trial just for those with older bikes who couldn't afford one of the new lightweights.

We organised an 'old style' trial on land behind the Red Lion pub at Shawforth and called it the 'Bigger Banger' trial, and we had just over fifty entries - plus a clamour from the appreciative riders for more trials on the same basis - and the sport of 'classic' trials was born.

BUT REMEMBER THIS, WE CREATED THE SPORT OF CLASSIC TRIALS BECAUSE WE COULDN'T AFFORD THE NEW BIKES.

What a pity the 'sport' has developed such that the fiddle so-called classic machines sell for more money than a new modern trialler and all the old eligibility rules have been quietly ignored because they were inconvenient...........

But I no longer ride - anno domini has taken its toll - so let those that still can enjoy themselves however they will.

It doesn't stop me from insisting on getting ACCURATE historical facts recorded just in case, in years to come, somebody wants to understand how the sport developed.............

And because a good picture can say more than a thousand words, I back my facts with an archive of genuine photographs TAKEN AT THE TIME..........

Wouldn't it be better to stop all the pointless bickering and get on with enjoying the sport??????????????

• Like 4

Deryk, would that be what was called the Shawforth Shake later on? I remember following my dad around on his 500T with me on my push bike in the late 70's.

I'm not a fan of the bikes mentioned earlier, whether they exist or are used is by the by but to me they've no place in any trial that comes under the name of classic.

• Like 1

Deryk, would that be what was called the Shawforth Shake later on? I remember following my dad around on his 500T with me on my push bike in the late 70's.

I'm not a fan of the bikes mentioned earlier, whether they exist or are used is by the by but to me they've no place in any trial that comes under the name of classic.

Hi japes,

The first 'Bigger Banger' was enthusiastically received at the finish, when we discussed the day's activities over libations in the local hostelry, the Red Lion, and people offered to enter there and then for the next one........

So that was arranged the following year, and way up on the tops, on a section of 'bobbies helmets', Stan Pitts of my home West Leeds club said ; "This isn't a Bigger Banger trial - it ought to be called 'The Shawforth Shake'." Which is precisely what we did for the third in the annual series........

So yes - and did you enjoy it?

Cheers

Deryk

Edited by laird387

I did but it was hard work on my old 3 speed treader! It was better when I got my TY to play around on but I seem to remember having to stick to the area around the car park.

I remember it being quite bleak up there and I remember the pub well!

When I started riding my C15 I stuck to the Y&L events so I don't think I ever actually rode in the Shawforth. It must be over 30 years since I last went.

sad to say that the shake is taking something of an enforced break at the moment. run for many years under the wings of rochdale and district club as a round of yorkshire classics excellent premier championship. last held on 29 September 2013 the route much shorter for the last dozen years or so since the land closest to the village was 'developed' the site and access roads are now part of ongoing dash for green energy as windfarms are developed on/ adjacent to the site and the quarry is been excavated for 45000 cubic meteres of stone for the turbines access roads..

Hi Guy's.

Hi Deryk.

Back to the subject!!!

So what you are really telling me is that If there is not a trials series for the "Super Cub" engined machines to ride in, we or I should try to organise trials for this type of machine?

Well if I did it would be named the Classic "Specials" trial, this should just about cover 88 percent of the current machines competing in the Classic Trials Scene.

There would be a class for the "Otter's" as number one.

"Super Cubs" number two.

Ground up imitation "Britshocks" and "Trickshocks" number three.

And "Tweaked Twinshocks" Number four, this would be any with the head angle altered, lenghened swinging arms, and footrest position changed all would have two drum brakes.

Who would do the scrutineering?? I would.

Interested anyone? Run to Express Trial Format.

Regards Charlie.

Its cost £1000 + many hours of work to build a bike that’s not really suitable for modern or classic trials with a Chinese engine!

Yet it’s possible to purchase a good usable twinshock for around £800 - £1000 that can be used at twinshock & modern trials

So what’s the point of the project, because it’s not really a cheap way into classic trials?

Edited by suzuki250
  • Like 2

I agree totally with Suzuki250.

I've just rebuilt my C15 over the last year or so (I'll put up some photos sometime) and I've put about £1200 into it. It's probably worth about £3k (well I wouldn't sell it for much less!) and I don't class that as a lot of money for a reasonably competitive real classic trials bike. Yes I could have chucked thousands at it and made it more competitive but it would have spoilt it. If I'd have wanted a bike I could have ridden harder sections on I would have just bought a decent twinshock.

• Like 1

As an engineer you should be well familiar with tolerances and the reason we have them, unfortunately for yourself the 'super cub' has been manufactured outside of 'acceptable' tolerances and does not 'fit' the current specification for classic trials.

Personally I don't see a problem with the Otter as it's silhouette is that of a 'classic' trials bike, your problem here is that it's frame and engine were never produced during the 'classic' trials era. The frame is a new design based on tweaks made to conforming 'classic' frames and the engine is a tweaked 'replica' of an engine from the 'classic' period.

So yes if you want to use either in a trials series you are going to have to organise trials for this type of machine.

• Like 2

To build a bike from the ground up and then to ride it in a trial must be the most enjoyable and satisfying way to enjoy the sport.

A class is needed for bikes like this along with the modified ones where they can compete properly with others.

It's not fair for them to compete with the big old heavy bikes.

It can't be much fun riding unclassified and not being in the results either.

The bikes are more suited to classic trials as the types of sections are ideal for them.

Get campaigning and ear bending for some new classes next season, Untill then go out and enjoy the bikes, Have fun and keep a low profile so as not to upset the organisers you need to ass kiss to get your class. :icon_salut:

• Like 2

i cant see the difference between the bikes john builds and a 2015 bantam of trick majesty or a fantic with monoshock engine

its the rider that will win the trial not the bike

I'll ride my gasgas in the pre65 then and leave the bantam at home :thumbup:

• Like 2