Rusty Spokes

boofont

Got some rust sneaking in on my spokes, god damn road salt!! Can any one offer some advice on the best way of dealing with it. I'm worried that if I start going at it with sandpaper it will remove any of the good chrome around the rust.

when I 1st got my bike ,the spokes were rusty

I cleaned the screws with a small wire brush and polished the spokes themselves with some chrome polish, which I had lying around (came in a tube).It took a lot of elbow grease to polish up every spoke but the end result was superb

they will stay fine as long as you dry them off after every wash...not like I did last time

regards

N

Got them clean with brasso wodding. Thanks for the tip Gav, I tried after Gaby's suggestion. All the rust has gone and I've added some car body rust treatment stuff to the spokes. There is small areas on each spoke that has the chrome treatment damage and these areas are rusting. Thinking about painting on some clear lacquer on them. What do you all think?

I use an automotive chrome wheel cleaner made by Mother's . It sprays on , let it sit a bit , I use a wire brush ( brass preferred ) and rinse off . I've taken some hopeless looking chrome pieces and was amazed how well they cleaned up . ( No , I don't sell the stuff ! )

They also have a similar aluminum cleaner that I have used on engine cases and hubs that also does a great job that should be included in another post as a better alternative to sand blasting .

But yeah to the other stuff . I also use this kind of wadding in a can . Never Dull is the brand I have , but have seen it go by different names . Non abrasive means is best IMHO

Boofont

Try this www.enginewise.co.uk/acatalog/metal-polishing.html

Metal polish impregnated tape - just the job for cleaning spokes (and my son's french horn!) - and palin tape to buff it up with afterwards.

Enginewise do mail order, though I can't remember what the tape cost me.

Mick