Gearbox Breather Rising Oil?

jaydello87

My dad knows what he is doing he strips engines down for fun. He lives away and is home this weekend I'm trying to gather as much info as possible basiclly so I can help him out to eliminate things etc for him. Not that he will listen it's getting totally stripped and rebuilt I assume as that's what he's like! Most mechanics just guess work and mince with it eliminating by replacing in the hope it will fix the problem..

I know where your coming from tho timp.. I wouldn't touch anything myself because I myself don't have a clue and would probs cause more jobs than to fix one!

Altho I am keen to see igsactly how it all works etc and I am going to shadow everything he does and maybe one day I can strip one down! Cheers

• Like 1

Where do you live, not your entire address just the region. Your dad maybe a very competent mechanic in his field but if he thinks your issue is related to piston rings two stroke trials engines isnt his field. Im not trying to be cheeky here im just saying thats only going to be an issue on a four stroke engine in my view.

Edited by baldilocks
  • Like 1

Good on you for trying to get your head around the problem for yourself, we all started the same way!

You have been given very good info here and once you get your hands on your bike it will all become clear, try and get your dad to read this thread and then shadow YOU doing the work so he can stop you if you go off track.

This way you will get the bike sorted and also have a better understanding of how your bikes systems interact with each other so you can fix it next time.

Edited by jfc

My dad knows what he is doing he strips engines down for fun. He lives away and is home this weekend I'm trying to gather as much info as possible basiclly so I can help him out to eliminate things etc for him. Not that he will listen it's getting totally stripped and rebuilt I assume as that's what he's like! Most mechanics just guess work and mince with it eliminating by replacing in the hope it will fix the problem..

That`s funny, you sound like my son. He has several projects that he bought this summer for ME  to make him some money for a new bike. The Pro motor is like no other bike. If you have never been in one, he might pay attention to real suggestions. Good Luck. 

If the oil is not getting contaminated, I would start again with the oil change.

You have to assume that there is always some residue oil left in the system once you have drained the box, I would suggest as much as 50cc unless you have been very very thorough.

If the gasgas spec says 360 cc , then try to start with 300cc , allow to settle (couple of minutes) and check level through the site glass add tiny amounts until oil is half way up site glass.

The Pro has a tiny gearbox volume and any overloading will put the level above the breather outlet and the thrashing around of the internals will push oil out, this is far easier to try than stripping the engine looking for possibly a non existent problem.

Good luck

Thanks for replys...

Baldilocks, I am from liverpool, UK, 2 strokes is definitely his field he hates 4 strokes lol... It's probs me misinterpreting things. We doing it this weekend..

Cheers jfc it's igsactly what I would like to do lol... I will shadow him and learn.

Collyolly, I have re done the oil just other day spoke to a guy at gasgasuk and he said to put 400cc in it I put a bit less at about 380 it is just under half on the glass level.. There was about 350cc in it before I changed the oil and it was leaking then.

I've took on board all your kind suggestions and a certain few people have said the same things it's most likely to be including andy from gas gas which will be the main things I will check first.

Check the clutch basket bolt to ensure it isn't mucked up or been replaced with one without the whole in it.

Crank case bearing seal

Check the gasket is on the right way I've heard a lot of people get it wrong and put it on the wrong way....

All stripped down. Base gasket to be fitted tomorrow along with all other seals just anyways so they all new and maintained.

The clutch basket screw had been replaced with a standard everyday screw with no hole what so ever for it to breathe!!!! So new screw ordered and there has been no crank case gasket just blob of resin to seal it also someone had put washers on wrong places and total bodge job on previous job... Then put all back together and re oil gear box along with new coolant... Hopefully this will sort it all out!