'breakthrough' Techniques

This is what helped me with timing for double blips and zaps. Practice the technique where you loft the front wheel into an obstacle and stop with the front tire resting in place on the face. Once you learn how to loft and plop the front wheel down and keep your balance, then try this:

Loft the front wheel to double blip/ zap but go to land it the gently the same way you do when you are trying to stuff and balance. When it lands softly and  a micro-second before it bottoms out, THEN you pop the clutch to get the lift. I was stuffing it in way too hard (oh missus!). Tried to pop the clutch as the suspension was still compressing at speed to use the momentum. It's like the bike comes to a stop for a fraction of a second and then launches. 

• Like 3

• 7 months later...

Be Brave / Bold / Confident.

The number of times I've failed obstacles due to being half-hearted far outweighs the number of times due to going too hard! Usually after I've given myself a stern talking-to and had a real attempt it's actually quite easy.

Don't be stupid, but if you think you can do something, give it a red-hot go or don't bother at all. If you're not ready to really give it a crack, you're not ready.

A half a***d attempt is a recipe for failure, which is a recipe for injury.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• 6 months later...

• 7 months later...
On 5/22/2020 at 5:31 AM, bikerpet said:

Be Brave / Bold / Confident.

The number of times I've failed obstacles due to being half-hearted far outweighs the number of times due to going too hard! Usually after I've given myself a stern talking-to and had a real attempt it's actually quite easy.

Don't be stupid, but if you think you can do something, give it a red-hot go or don't bother at all. If you're not ready to really give it a crack, you're not ready.

A half a***d attempt is a recipe for failure, which is a recipe for injury.

A half a***d attempt most likely rewards a half a***d result

• 1 month later...
On 11/6/2015 at 8:37 PM, totty79 said:

I might get better results if I closed my eyes.

Not so much a breakthrough, but don't overlook the value of being taught a technique. Learning from videos has it's limitations, it is far easier for someone to observe and instruct you.

I made far more progress in 3 hours at Bumpy than I did in maybe 10 sessions by myself.

This. Absolutely for sure!

I've been getting coaching online (there's no-one coaching within many hours & hundreds of kilometres of me) and my progress & understanding has leapt ahead.

Face to face coaching would be even better in so many ways, but good online coaching can be amazingly effective.

As someone else said, just videoing yourself regularly can be such an eye opener too.

• Like 1