“Introduction” Program To Trial, In The Very Early Years

tjums

Hi guys

I really do not know witch forum is the right one for this request, so the moderators/administrators should feel free to move the subject.  :)

So here goes.
I have been Trial riding for the last 7 years, and love it dearly. I´m am (and has been for some time), active in the development of Danish Trial, both on the national and club scene.
2 year back I was blessed with a baby boy, and he is now beginning to find his daddy’s motorcycle madness interesting.   :D

So it only natural that I am looking for ways to introducing him to the sport of Trial.
But – searching the web high and low hasn’t produced any ideas on how to make that introducing to the sport. I have heard of Spanish clubs that make the introduction to the sport via Cycle Trial, and of the OSET program (although that might be kids somewhat older).
I’m interested in getting him “hooked” now (2-3 years of age). The normal “offers” for this age group would be Dance, Gymnastics, Swimming or likewise.  

Has any of you knowledge of an “introduction” program for Trial in the very early years, tried it yourself, or any ideas on “howto” – it will be greatly appreciated…. !  :D

/Thomas

Edited by tjums
  • Like 1

I started my youngster off on a balance bike( bike without pedals)at the age of 2, he learned to scoot along and subsequently balance. So when he was too big and moved onto a regular bike he never needed stabilisers.

At 7 he got an Oset and loves it, he has done a few organised conducted trials aimed at kids, with sections that are changed to suit riders of all abilities, the emphasis being on having fun with other kids.

Most clubs here are happy to allow supervised youngsters to ride round/practice while a trial is on and for parents to mark out some sections. This is important as they can have no pressure fun until they're ready to advance. It's a bit of a supply and demand situation, if there were more youngsters in an area then more would be put on for them.

I have seen kids as young as 3 on an Oset, a great start as the bikes are so adjustable as they gain confidence. The main thing at that age is simply to have fun without pressure.

Ok, my son started on a Yamaha PW50 at 2 and 6 months and rode his first trials before three. He has had many bikes and many bicycles. He turned 18 this week and is a very solid Expert. All his years were good, and as a Dad that is great. The two best bikes ever, were a TY80 and the full size wheeled Gas Gas 80. Everything else was crap for a kid. The Oset is cute for the back yard, but we actually camp for days and ride. Electrics do not cut it. From a Dad to a Dad this year has been the greatest. In the last three weekends we rode, camped and had a blast, 4 days of trials and eight days of camping!   I hope you have as much fun with your son.

• Like 2

Get him an oset - small enough in size for him to pick up and no starting problems. Having fun is the main thing. I doubt if he will need side wheels, probably just trail his legs for a short while then ride on two wheels no problems.

Hi all.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts on the subject. Relating to pushbikes (Striders) or OSET’s, I am already covered, as I have invested in a Monty Kamel 202 Push Trial bike, and a OSET 12.5” (I’m not as such desperate, but I seems like there a whole new Trial related budget I can dig into when it relates to my son (accordingly to  the taxminister at home) :)

I can relate to the whole “let the kids have fun – no pressure” philosophy, as that was I was thinking in the first place. I was hoping though, that there was someone “out there”, using some kind of age-related learning program for Trial.

Example. In football (Soccer for you Americans) :) kids can be introduced in the early years. For 3-5 years old, they do something called “Toddlers ball” (freely translated from Danish). Mainly it 3 things.
1. Brining the kids on the field with the ball.
2. Getting them “hoked” on the football feeling.
3. (IMPORTANT) getting the parents used to the idea of “going to Football training”, and helping out.

No.. its not real football, because football cannot be played at the age of 3 – is to complicated. The same fact apply to motorsport.

It no problem for me to take my son with me to practise – whether it be on Pushbike or on OSET. But if I don’t have a plan, and some fun activates to do with him and his pushbike/OSET, I fear is doomed to fail.
So the question is how to make (and keep) it fun to be out racing with dad, what games (with the bikes) do we do?, do I need some mates for him to play with?, how long should a “session” be for a 3 year old? And so on, and so on….

This might be (are) questions that a “to big” to be answered in a forum, but I was looking for ideas on how this issue has been tackled in some of the countries, where Trial is a bigger sport that here in the DK  :)

Based on my daughter and trials, it was about getting her on the bike(s) and getting the habit of going out often so yes mates is a good idea, if you can find some.

As for length of time I found for my daughter it was two factors, interest level and energy level. If the interest level was up I would let her play tell she was tired, if interest wasn't up I would just do a short session to keep up the habit of doing it.

On a side note I have heard that the jump to the larger bikes from the Osset's can take the fun out of it for some and being willing to switch to bicycle trials might help. Don't know this from personal experience but it might make a difference.

Best of luck!

• Like 1

Hi jonnyc21.

Thank you for your input – very insightful indeed.
Make sense to have to 2 factors in mind on training day – Interest level and Energy level.

Regarding the “move” to larger machines, it good to know. I have some time to “foresee” this, and work it into my training plan.  :)