Small Van For One Bike, New-Ish! What One?

hugh_b

Hi everyone, 

Looking at getting a bike again after a couple of years off but I'd quite like a small van to keep it from prying eyes and for ease of loading so no faffing with a trailer etc. It will also be handy for the mountain bikes. 

I'm looking at some of the newer models, i used to have a face lift vw t5 which was lovely but now not necessary and too expensive. 

I quite like the caddy's but they are quite expensive for a basic spec but still an option. 

The Citroen berlingo looks like a good option as the enterprise model has air con, electric windows etc and looks smart inside. 

Has anyone got either of the above and how do you find it for one bike and kit?

Any others i should be looking at?

Thanks

I've recently bought a new (pre reg) Peugeot Partner Professional, which is a Berlingo Enterprise with a Peugeot badge on, cracking van for trials, one bike plus kit fits in nicely with room to spare. I haven't tried two bikes but I reckon they'd go in at a push, the roof height is slightly lower than the VW Caddy so fits in the garage

The drive is great, all the gismos you need, air con, electric windows, remote central locking, bluetooth etc. - it's comfy and quiet with plenty of go in it (mines the 92ps version), I love it that much I sold my car.

The reason I opted for the Partner against the Berlingo was - price, it was cheaper than any Berlingos I could find at the time and also the Partner comes with a decent bulkhead which seems to be optional on the Berlingo.

If you're buying new, shop around, there are plenty of deals on pre reg'd vans, (some new pre reg'd vans are as cheap as second hand) if buying second hand make sure that it has full service history, even when buying from an official dealer (any outstanding warranty is void if not serviced correctly).

Hi

Having just "retired/become self employed" I bought a 2011 Berlingo Enterprise to do exactly the same as you. I "wanted" a Caddy or a T5 but as it was my first van (well since 1980 anyway) and I didn't know if I'd actually like the idea of driving a van after years of decent company cars I decided to spend a little rather than a lot. The 4RT goes in easy, the gear goes in easy, it drives great. The fact that nobody can see me with a bike is another strong positive. I actually feel smug about not buying a VW with all the nonsense that's popped up just lately which must affect resale values.

I like it so much that (money permitting) I may upgrade next year to a newer one.

I doubt re sale values of vw's  in the long term will be affected , in time when they have been sorted then all is well. I think mine is too early but it wouldn't bother me. May have been a panic for a short while when it was all over the news as there was a panic on when we were all eating horse meat last year. Last weeks news is this week fish and chip paper as they say. Joe public have a short memory, I hear Vauxhalls are self combusting nowadays. 

Have you thought of a Fiat Doblo? (it's what Vauxhall now call their Combo after altering the badges with a crayon)

With Fiat's Affinity or Privilage Schemes you can get up to 36% off a new one. (but it changes quarterly)

http://www.westmidspolfed.com/member-services/services/?/Fiat-Group/

To qualify I believe you need to be an employee or family of the Police, BT, NHS or one or two other such organisations, but I think member of IAM and British Cycling qualify too. (£20 to register)

https://www.britishcycling.org.uk/search/article/bc-20100421-Fiat-offer-For-Members-0

I've got three motors through these schemes and saved over £12000!

Thanks guy's, some very helpful info! I'm having a search around for a pre-registered Peugeot/Citroen unless a bargain VW comes up?

Be aware that when buying a pre reg'd you don't get a full warranty, as the warranty runs from the date of first registration.

Some deals might look good but you could lose six months or so of the warranty period.

Edited by ourian

Fiat re sale is appalling so you dont get it  both ends.

I would have agreed 15 years ago, but Fiat now come out above both Pug and Citroen in regards to resale percentages.

Citroen actually hold the record for the biggest hit in resale values in the UK with their old Xsara Picasso, so they haven't got the greatest track record either.

A VW TDi? I can only presume it would be a viable choice in the summer when burning your hard earned isn't really needed due to the weather.

You've also got to consider selling a privately owned small van in a sea of crappy old builders wagons and high mileage fleet owned dross is going to be almost a pleasure, no matter who made it.