Non Starter After Washing

fantic tom

Depends on how your ignition is setup. If the kill switch is a make contact to kill the engine just unplug it. This is how my 309 is setup. If it's a break contact to kill then you need to unplug the switch and fit a jumper wire between the terminals on the loom. 

Dry plug sounds more like a fuel problem to me. 

• 2 weeks later...

When you said the plug was dry I thought it sounded more like a fuel problem. 

Some more fuel might sort it. It could be that in the washing process you've accidentally got some dirt of water or both in the carb. I'd start with fuel and if that doesn't fix it take the carb off and give it a good clean out. 

When you said the plug was dry I thought it sounded more like a fuel problem.

Some more fuel might sort it. It could be that in the washing process you've accidentally got some dirt of water or both in the carb. I'd start with fuel and if that doesn't fix it take the carb off and give it a good clean out.

Cheers I'll have a look soon and update.

Thank you!

well I removed and stripped the carb and it was spotless, when I put it back together it fired perfect and run for 5 seconds and as I tried revving it it made borping noises and died - it was running on carb cleaner fumes! 

This shows its sparking ok so must be as sparky125 suggested it sounds as if it definitely is a fuelling issue?

im stumped now, any ideas what it could be?

I would start with the basics. Is fuel getting to the carb? Check the fuel tap, disconnect the fuel pipe form the carb hold the end over a bowl and turn the tap on. Does fuel come out? If not check the pipe and the fuel tap itself. There may well be a filter on the tap inside the tank this could be blocked. If fuel is coming out the pipe at a good rate then check the float bowl again. Is the float working properly, or is it sticking.

You need to start at the beginning, the tank and work from there until you find where the fuel is not getting to. 

• Like 1

After playing out the other day I washed my fantic and now it won't start! It's had a few days to dry any ideas?

Cheers! Tom.

Nobody has asked the obvious - was a power washer involved?????????

Useful devices for forcing grit into wheel bearings and water into places never intended to get wet...............