Super Mini Sized Trials Bike Build

denisesewa

Looking very good, you should be pleased.

I've been experimenting with this stuff, http://www.diatex.com/-Reusable-membranes,456-.htmlthe Elastibag makes bagging parts a lot easier, especially for low temp cures.

Those bags look great , I have tried welding bags together to form complex shapes and have too many problems with leaks and end up with wrinkles anyway, these diatex bags seem to be the answer.

Crazybond 700 said " I would suggest a larger front fender, sand in your eyes sucks! "

This fender is the exact same shape and size as the one on my electric trials bike and has not been a problem , if it proves to be a nuisance I'll make a longer one.

I swapped flywheels yesterday evening to the heavier one and now the bike will idle along in first gear without stalling, throttle response is still good, The hydro clutch conversion feels good but I may want to extend the clutch arm to lighten the lever pull even more, either that or I need some strength training for my finger, I also may go to a slower turn throttle but need to relearn trials riding before I make that change, its been 15 years and I feel like a newbe, although my balance isnt too bad my timing and technique is not even close and can barley get the rear wheel off the ground for a nose wheelie , new front brakes pads also need to get run in.

Those bags look great , I have tried welding bags together to form complex shapes and have too many problems with leaks and end up with wrinkles anyway, these diatex bags seem to be the answer.[/size][/background]

We got this in as a sample at work. Only tried it for debulking as all the materials we use are high temp cures for which we use disposable bags.

I'm still trying to figure out the best way to use it with wet layup and my bike moulds.

Just returned from a 2 hour trail ride, really liking this bike, its so much more fun and easy to ride than the clunky TTR was. Nothing rattled,clunked,cracked or fell off ( including the rider) , Jetting is on the rich side, by the time I climbed to 9000 ft from 5000 it was a little blubbery so I'll have to find middle ground on jetting , the side stand spring is rubbing the heel of my boot and is a nuisance just cause I know its there and the fork seals are weeping ( kinda expected that) . 

Overall its going to be just what I was looking for, less tiring and more fun to ride on rocky trails, playful enough to keep me entertained and will look good enough when done that I wont be embarrassed at a trials event plus I can call it my own.

• Like 2

Those bags look great , I have tried welding bags together to form complex shapes and have too many problems with leaks and end up with wrinkles anyway, these diatex bags seem to be the answer.

Crazybond 700 said " I would suggest a larger front fender, sand in your eyes sucks! "

This fender is the exact same shape and size as the one on my electric trials bike and has not been a problem , if it proves to be a nuisance I'll make a longer one.

I swapped flywheels yesterday evening to the heavier one and now the bike will idle along in first gear without stalling, throttle response is still good, The hydro clutch conversion feels good but I may want to extend the clutch arm to lighten the lever pull even more, either that or I need some strength training for my finger, I also may go to a slower turn throttle but need to relearn trials riding before I make that change, its been 15 years and I feel like a newbe, although my balance isnt too bad my timing and technique is not even close and can barley get the rear wheel off the ground for a nose wheelie , new front brakes pads also need to get run in.

Probably different ground overthere. With sandy/mud conditions somethimes parts stick, and then release itself when riding an obstacle. Quite anoying!

Hey Smokey125 , if you're reading this, I really like the look of that deep subdued semigloss shine on carbon , to get it on surfboards and hydrofoils I usually finish wetsand the final epoxy gloss coat down to 800/1000 and then use a slow machine buff with miracle-cut 1000  then wax , how do you go about it? do you topcoat with an auto finish as some surfboard builders do or just leave the carbon as it comes out of the mold? , I am now considering leaving alot of the carbon exposed and just do graphics with vinyl wrap rather than paint, any other options? Your advise is always appreciated.

I really dislike this shine from the topcoat >>

post-21886-0-26453900-1450401183_thumb.jpg

And prefer this subdued semigloss like these two boards I built >>

post-21886-0-53336300-1450401333_thumb.jpg

• 6 months later...

So its been a while , winter kinda shut down the build then I went on a 3 month kiteboarding trip, then picked up a TL 125 and did a rebuild on the entire bike, so, last week I tore down the trials build, finished all welding , sandblasted/ grinded the chrome off and painted, went after all the little details on reassembly and couldnt be happier with the final result , just waiting on some paperwork to get it titled and my foot to heal so I can ride. Seat is installed so just one thumbscrew removes it in about 10 seconds , street electronics can be removed in about one minute.post-21886-0-63514500-1468513405_thumb.jpgpost-21886-0-79742200-1468513421_thumb.jpgpost-21886-0-02571300-1468513434_thumb.jpgpost-21886-0-88277900-1468513447_thumb.jpgpost-21886-0-70462400-1468513462_thumb.jpgpost-21886-0-50839400-1468513474_thumb.jpgpost-21886-0-44471000-1468513490_thumb.jpgpost-21886-0-66580200-1468513504_thumb.jpgpost-21886-0-40912300-1468513517_thumb.jpgpost-21886-0-14442200-1468513533_thumb.jpgpost-21886-0-75400500-1468513545_thumb.jpgpost-21886-0-98582500-1468513562_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

Denisesewa, that is one very nice special.

Sorry I completely missed you posts back in December. The parts we make at work are aircraft parts so finish is dictated by the customer. The stuff I make for my bikes depends on the bike. Most of what I make is for classic race bikes. Although we are allowed to use carbon we can’t use it in its raw state so it is always painted. Stuff for my modern bikes tends to be straight as it comes from the mould, function over form I don’t want to add any unnecessary weight!