Toni Bou Dvd

sean65

My recommended purchase list is as follows:

1. -- Top Quality --
  2. Learning Trial - Jordi Pascuet
  3. Ryan Young Trials Training
  4. Ryan Young Advanced Trials Training (watch after you've ridden for a while)
  5. Basic Trials Technique - Dan Thorpe (this is a different perspective on training)
  6. Trials for Everybody (Good, but not great. Voice acting is very poor)
  7. -- Average quality --
  8. Toni Bou Trials

Reviews: 

Learning Trial - Jordi Pascuet (9/10) - One of the Gold standards in training DVDs. Starting off with the cons, the DVD is a bit fickle on some DVD players but if you select the very right option on the opening menu (Inicio), let the intro play then select "English" the DVD plays fine and you'll be served with some great training content. The DVD features clear instructions, multiple examples and is structured in a way that gives the new rider a clear and logical progression of skills. The DVD also covers other aspects of the sport which others brush over or completely ignore; including bike maintenance, setup, required equipment to ride and fitness in depth (about 10 minutes each). The DVD goes above and beyond what it needed and this is why it's my favourite and top of this list. Highly recommended

Ryan Young Trials Training (9/10) - Another Gold standard in training DVDs. The only con is the quality of footage is a little poor due to the DVDs age. The quality does not detract from the training though and as above the training has clear instructions, multiple examples and structured in a way that gives the new rider a clear and logical progression of skills. Ryan does have a different way of teaching some of the skills, but this gives riders the options to see multiple ways to achieve the same goal. Another Highly recommended DVD

Ryan Young Advanced Trials Training (9/10) - A more modern DVD so the footage and presentation has improved since the previous DVD. The techniques are more advanced and not applicable to most new riders, but instead focused on those who have mastered the first DVDs content. Still worth watching as a beginner if you wish to take a sneak peek at advanced techniques and possibly start thinking about these tricks. Definitely a must have for riders who are looking to add more dimensions and skills to their riding.

Basic Trials Technique - Dan Thorpe (7.5/10) - A different approach to training DVDs, the DVD follows a group of Youth riders as they're coached by Dan. He both commentates the DVD and also provides in-DVD instructions as he mentors the students. Being 2 hours in length it's a long DVD especially since it's not cut into discrete units, but it's entertaining none the less and does give some good instruction. The delivery is similar to what you would expect from a training day/camp and feels a little more personal. It does bring a new dimension to the training as it does show a lot of examples of common mistakes as demonstrated by the inexperienced riders in the group. 

Trials for Everybody (7/10) - I'm of two minds about this DVD, it seems to have all of the right ingredients to make great training DVD but the execution is somewhat average. The voice dubbing is confusing as sometimes two actors share the same voice, then have different accented voices. The techniques are shown well, with slow motion and recapping of techniques broken down into stages but the background soundtrack is annoying and takes the focus away from the activity at hand. The banter between the two hosts is also sometimes confusing and unnecessary. That aside it does present a range of techniques by different riders so it's worth watching just for diversity of techniques although sometimes the instructions of how to perform the technique are a little too simplistic.

Toni Bou Trials (4/10) - I'm being extra harsh here on Bou because not only is he the best rider of this lot, he also has large factory backing and ideally you would think his DVD would reflect the quality of his riding. The DVD has only recently (last 3 years) been produced and has a gamut of other training DVDs to learn from. It seems to have completely ignored the structure that good DVDs use and the topics presented have no logical order (wheelies are taught nearly last even though they're a core skill). The DVD feels rushed, misses a bunch of skills and is organised in a fashion that just doesn't teach any type of student well enough for them to go from a complete novice to a semi competent rider. With all the other DVDs it's good to own all for diversity of examples, but it's really hard to recommended such a half hearted attempt. 

Edited by jml
  • Like 4

That's very kind of you to take the trouble to list the reviews and thanks for the comments. I have seen some of the Ryan Young clips, but not the others. I shall investigate Amazon and see what I can find. I know there is no substitute for getting out there and practising, but much like the Twist Of the Wrist series for road bike, a little more info or focus point can't do any harm.

I know there is no substitute for getting out there and practising, but much like the Twist Of the Wrist series for road bike, a little more info or focus point can't do any harm.

I agree with this statement and believe to a degree there is a substitute to riding. If you can absorb and understand high quality training material (either DVD or watching another rider, or private tuition) in cooperation with training, as opposed to training in isolation this can shortcut your learning path dramatically as opposed to practicing incorrect technique over and over. Like learning anything it's best to incorporate a multi-pronged approach and not just trying to learn via a single method.  :hyper:

Edited by jml

One thing that can help when you do have to learn from a DVD and train without other better riders is to video yourself and then compare the video to the training DVD.  if it looks the same as the DVD when you watch it your doing good, if not keep trying and video yourself tell you get it right... 

I also have the wife watch the video and then record me and tell me what it did or didn't look like.  helps a lot... 

• Like 1

All good advice thanks. I cant just imagine my partner laighing her socks off at my lame attempt. Video is a good idea. Can check sll sorts no doibt. I am thinking of doing my first trial on boxing day so all help is a bonus.

Ryans site is US but thete are shops here. Not eBay or Amazon though oddly.

All good advice thanks. I cant just imagine my partner laighing her socks off at my lame attempt. Video is a good idea. Can check sll sorts no doibt. I am thinking of doing my first trial on boxing day so all help is a bonus.

Looks like you're in the UK, check out splatshop! http://www.splatshop.co.uk/dvd-s.html

• 3 years later...
On 12/19/2015 at 1:00 AM, jml said:

My recommended purchase list is as follows:

1. -- Top Quality --
  2. Learning Trial - Jordi Pascuet
  3. Ryan Young Trials Training
  4. Ryan Young Advanced Trials Training (watch after you've ridden for a while)
  5. Basic Trials Technique - Dan Thorpe (this is a different perspective on training)
  6. Trials for Everybody (Good, but not great. Voice acting is very poor)
  7. -- Average quality --
  8. Toni Bou Trials

Reviews: 

Learning Trial - Jordi Pascuet (9/10) - One of the Gold standards in training DVDs. Starting off with the cons, the DVD is a bit fickle on some DVD players but if you select the very right option on the opening menu (Inicio), let the intro play then select "English" the DVD plays fine and you'll be served with some great training content. The DVD features clear instructions, multiple examples and is structured in a way that gives the new rider a clear and logical progression of skills. The DVD also covers other aspects of the sport which others brush over or completely ignore; including bike maintenance, setup, required equipment to ride and fitness in depth (about 10 minutes each). The DVD goes above and beyond what it needed and this is why it's my favourite and top of this list. Highly recommended

Ryan Young Trials Training (9/10) - Another Gold standard in training DVDs. The only con is the quality of footage is a little poor due to the DVDs age. The quality does not detract from the training though and as above the training has clear instructions, multiple examples and structured in a way that gives the new rider a clear and logical progression of skills. Ryan does have a different way of teaching some of the skills, but this gives riders the options to see multiple ways to achieve the same goal. Another Highly recommended DVD

Ryan Young Advanced Trials Training (9/10) - A more modern DVD so the footage and presentation has improved since the previous DVD. The techniques are more advanced and not applicable to most new riders, but instead focused on those who have mastered the first DVDs content. Still worth watching as a beginner if you wish to take a sneak peek at advanced techniques and possibly start thinking about these tricks. Definitely a must have for riders who are looking to add more dimensions and skills to their riding.

Basic Trials Technique - Dan Thorpe (7.5/10) - A different approach to training DVDs, the DVD follows a group of Youth riders as they're coached by Dan. He both commentates the DVD and also provides in-DVD instructions as he mentors the students. Being 2 hours in length it's a long DVD especially since it's not cut into discrete units, but it's entertaining none the less and does give some good instruction. The delivery is similar to what you would expect from a training day/camp and feels a little more personal. It does bring a new dimension to the training as it does show a lot of examples of common mistakes as demonstrated by the inexperienced riders in the group. 

Trials for Everybody (7/10) - I'm of two minds about this DVD, it seems to have all of the right ingredients to make great training DVD but the execution is somewhat average. The voice dubbing is confusing as sometimes two actors share the same voice, then have different accented voices. The techniques are shown well, with slow motion and recapping of techniques broken down into stages but the background soundtrack is annoying and takes the focus away from the activity at hand. The banter between the two hosts is also sometimes confusing and unnecessary. That aside it does present a range of techniques by different riders so it's worth watching just for diversity of techniques although sometimes the instructions of how to perform the technique are a little too simplistic.

Toni Bou Trials (4/10) - I'm being extra harsh here on Bou because not only is he the best rider of this lot, he also has large factory backing and ideally you would think his DVD would reflect the quality of his riding. The DVD has only recently (last 3 years) been produced and has a gamut of other training DVDs to learn from. It seems to have completely ignored the structure that good DVDs use and the topics presented have no logical order (wheelies are taught nearly last even though they're a core skill). The DVD feels rushed, misses a bunch of skills and is organised in a fashion that just doesn't teach any type of student well enough for them to go from a complete novice to a semi competent rider. With all the other DVDs it's good to own all for diversity of examples, but it's really hard to recommended such a half hearted attempt. 

Wish id read this a week ago  i got  the toni bou vid   not so good  do you still rank these vids the same or is there anything better out now thanks