Is Newer Better

dwb5151

I know Bou is a class above & his bike is special but so are the 2T bikes at world champ level, so even if we take Bou out of the equation there's 3 or 4 other 4t riders in the worlds top ten getting incredible grip in the process the sections are steeper & more slippery so in theory shouldn't the 4t's possible shortcomings be even more apparent?

All the 4t riders I've spoken to plus what I've read on here say low gears virtually first gear everywhere which in theory doesn't make sence to me because the back wheel is already rotating less than a 2t at the same revs if that makes sence, does anyone think like me that the 300cc works bikes are able to pull the bigger gears and in doing so take away the 2t advantage at world level? Or am I missing something?

(Ive just bought a Mont & rode it for an hr) Thanks

I know Bou is a class above and his bike is special but so are the 2T bikes at world champ level, so even if we take Bou out of the equation there's 3 or 4 other 4t riders in the worlds top ten getting incredible grip in the process the sections are steeper and more slippery so in theory shouldn't the 4t's possible shortcomings be even more apparent?

All the 4t riders I've spoken to plus what I've read on here say low gears virtually first gear everywhere which in theory doesn't make sence to me because the back wheel is already rotating less than a 2t at the same revs if that makes sence, does anyone think like me that the 300cc works bikes are able to pull the bigger gears and in doing so take away the 2t advantage at world level? Or am I missing something?

(Ive just bought a Mont and rode it for an hr) Thanks

I don't believe its so much about advantage or disadvantage of a 4T, I think it really is more about the rider.  I love my 4RT and don't feel I am working that much harder than any of my fellow riders on 2T's... maybe I am and I don't see it?  With plenty of time on my wife's Gas Gas, it dose not seem to feel any different as for amount of work...

Depending on what I am riding I will often use lower revs and 2nd gear to get up things with much less throttle.  All of the 1st gear 4T riders I know are riding club-man/armature level sections...  On that same note most of the 2T riders I see at that level are doing about the same between 1st or 2nd gear depending on gearing as well...  not sure if that is the same out there?  

In short I don't believe there is extreme shortcomings between a Montesa and a 2T, I think it really is about the rider and the way they ride...

It's 99.9% about the rider I would say. A better rider will always ride the section better, regardless of bike. I had a 4rt, then 300 pro, now 4rt again.

For me, they are so much nicer to own, the smile they put on your face, and the build quality is unmatched.

Yes, you do go through a transitional period learning to find grip, but once you work it out your hooked!

They are physically bigger and a little heavier, but it never feels heavy and tbh if I eased off the mince pies for a bit I could soon make the difference up!

• Like 1

I have to admit montesa 300rr looks awsome but no one has one over here to test ride. The dealer for montesa doesn't even have one. I heard its great. It is the same problem with the vertigo because their is no dealer in Northern Ireland . I have booked a test ride on the new trs in mid January and i contacted vertigo but i have had no reply. I am trying to get a test ride on all the bikes i am considering.

Edited by dwb5151

I was just wanting to thank everyone for taking an interest. Im very interested in the montesa but im considering the new vertigo but their is no dealer in Northern Ireland. So getting a test ride isnt really possible. I am getting a test ride on the trs in mid January. I am looking forward to it. I am going to try as many bikes as possible to help me decide its the only way. I have already tested some of the 2016 bikes.

• Like 2

Yea just found out their may be a vertigo dealer in Nortern Ireland actualy it might be my local dealer. But im looking forwrd to testing the vertigo and trs  they would need to good to stop me from going for the new sherco or montesa especialy the sherco dam it looks good and rides awsome.