Golden Age Of British Trials?

johnnyboxer

So, when was it ?

Now?...................or was it

1990's?

1980's?

1970's?

Just been looking at some of Rappers pics on FB, from the 1970's and 1980's which prompted me to start this thread and ask the question

I reckon it was the 1970's & 1980's for me - the halcyon days when you could enter a World Round, if you were a good Centre rider without a minder, to catch you

How about your opinion?

• Like 3

I would have to agree with your choice, no chance now of doing that.

I reckon it was the 1970's and 1980's for me - the halcyon days when you could enter a World Round, if you were a good Centre rider without a minder, to catch you

Edited by trialsrfun

1970s into early 80s for me. That was the period in the evolution of trials when we had a combination of bikes which had become reliable and sections that were still rideable. As a clubman I could enter a national or British championship round, queue up alongside the best works riders and have a good go at most of the sections, which were all single route. If things went wrong there was usually the hope of threeing my way to the ends cards. Moreover, the major trials of the day were usually one or two laps of a large course with groups of sections connected by tracks or road work - often a 6/7 hour adventure with great atmosphere and great memories which live on.

A rose tinted view? Possibly, but today's trials, which I am still riding, could never have quite that effect for me. The few events of the type I've described which remain on the calendar are seemingly always over subscribed.

Edited by cleanorbust
  • Like 4

Rose tinted glasses there, but yes the wtc wasnt so far from mortals as it is now.

A bit

But I was looking at some 1975 WTC pics from Congresbury Bristol & seeing all the pics from Rappers & recognising them as adult Centre rides when I was a schoolboy trialler, plus a pic of a quartet of riders, from a few years later from another SWest WTC round which included Mart & 3 other ordinary Centre riders all chatting, at a road section - no trucks & WTC circus

Somehow we've lost the essence of simplicity with Trials all round

For me only the Scott & SSDT capture that rawness of man, machine & terrain with a bit of luck thrown in - with no contrived sections made by diggers - where a Centre Expert can get a clean in a section, just the same as Doug or Dabill, if he's on form that day

Sadly we've lost something along the passage of time

Edited by johnnyboxer
  • Like 2

It's all very well thinking back to when we were in our prime but if you went back now aged nearly 53 how would you enjoy it?

I don't think I would have the energy to drag my Italjet to the first section let alone ride a decent trial.

I can't speak for other areas but as someone once said you've never had it so good as far as trials up here are concerned.

Local trials most weekends,cheap as chips to enter routes for all abilities.

Nationals get decent entries and nearly all the big trials are oversubscribed.

• Like 2

I started riding trials in the 50s Midland centre trials were choc a bloc with works riders but we all rode the same sections. I would ride my bantam (what ever happened to them?) 25 or so miles to the trial, compete and then ride home with the help of bobby dodger cycle lamps,riding through as many puddles as possible to clean the bike to go to work on Monday.I got summonsed for having muddy illegible number plates on the way home from one trial.I had to go to court and was fined 10 shillings (50p) I have been riding trials ever since and for me the golden age is the fact that I can still do it and get as much satisfaction from cleaning a section now as I did then.

• Like 8

I would say from the mid 1970s when bikes became good and reliable until the early / mid 1990s when hop and stop and dual routes started to creep in.

It is noticeable that trials that have most in common with that era still tend to attract the biggest entries.

• Like 2

This 'old fart' would have to vote for the early 70's as I'm still in them nowdays!

When you look back to the Spanish invasion of competitive bikes, the Trials (mainly road trials) one route for all and testing for novice and expert alike, and riding with the likes of DR Smith , SH Miller , M Lampkin & M Rathmell & M Andrews esq. You only have to look at the old footage and photo's too see the massive crowds spectating and large entries for trials. It seems that I am not alone in my liking of this era as Twinshock seems to be the growing market at the moment as the majority of entries for these trials are over subscribed.

'Viva Montesa'

• Like 3

I would say from the mid 1970s when bikes became good and reliable until the early / mid 1990s when hop and stop and dual routes started to creep in.

It is noticeable that trials that have most in common with that era still tend to attract the biggest entries.

I agree too

So, when was it ?

Now?...................or was it

1990's?

1980's?

1970's?

Just been looking at some of Rappers pics on FB, from the 1970's and 1980's which prompted me to start this thread and ask the question

I reckon it was the 1970's and 1980's for me - the halcyon days when you could enter a World Round, if you were a good Centre rider without a minder, to catch you

How about your opinion?

Hi johnnyboxer,

As a special treat, just for you, I will include an extensive Photoreport of the 1977 Colonial Trial, organised by Eboracum, in a snow covered landscape that started, we think for the only time in its history from north of Grimston, in our digital magazine, ORRe.

It will include some interesting shots, possibly including Rob Shepherd early on in his Honda days.

As a taster here's a shot of a younger version of the ever handsome Dave Willoughby, taken by Barry Robinson.

Also - please give me your thoughts on my suggestion to create TRADITIONAL TRIALS?

Enjoy

post-19290-0-96698000-1452262986_thumb.jpg

• Like 1