Bike Cleaning/maintenance

caddy4u

Muc-Off bike cleaner and Ammo.243 degreaser (watered down by 50%), gets all the muck and oil off, after that spray with Muc-Off maintenance spray (basically WD40) to leave a nice shine on everything and makes the dirt come off easier next time :)

Best routine I've come up with over the years is:

- get the bike unloaded for washing asap after riding, even if you feel jiggered after a day's trialling. You don't want to let all the grot dry and set overnight (the mud from my usual venue sets like concrete)

- get the bike onto a box or stand so both wheels are off the ground

- plug the end of the exhaust

- do an initial blast off of the mud with pressure washer. I do my boots at the same time.

- wash all over bike with a washing up liquid mix and a medium brush, rinse off

- use a spray degreaser (from the pound shop) working into nooks and crannies with a selection of washing up brushes from the same shop.

- rinse all over again with pressure washer working top to bottom, remembering to clear mud from the tyres

- apply maintenance spray to all points vulnerable to corrosion (esp chain, spokes, bolt heads)

- bike into garage to dry and make a note of maintenance/repair jobs spotted while washing.

I allow 20/25 minutes for this process.

Having said all this, I've always known riders whose bikes only appear to get washed when ridden through a river, and beat me at most trials. No doubt there's a message there somewhere.

I have found the best way for me is:

Right after the trial I spray the whole bike with a good quality "Truck Wash" product, mud and all at 50/50 mix approx.

Leave this to soak while I put my gear way.

Spray with the garden hose [no high pressure]and no scrubbing or brushing.

Leather off the plastics

Oil chain.

No need for WD 40 as bike comes up like new.

Note....I also use the truck wash to get grime off, and keep it off, the glass shower screens best product yet for that job.

Cheers Taff