Floater Turns

Hi guys and gals,

Do any of you have any tips on floater turns?

I was practising them tonight for a change.

I have watched, and do watch the Ryan vids, as good as they are, he makes everything look so easy.

I am practising up hill, with a steady pace in first or second gear and when ready I am initiating a wheelie, trying to throw the bike over in the direction I want to go, lifting my outside elbow high and trying to look behind me.

I know the looking well behind helps tremendously.

I keep telling myself "elbow up" and on the approach I keep telling myself to load the inside peg.

But I can still not get past about 90 degrees with out a dab to finish off the 180. I reckon about 100 degrees is my all time best, but it is not exactly turning on the spot, more like a large gentle radius.

Sometimes the flamin' bike just goes straight on up the hill even though I'm looking behind me.

Any tips would be greatly received.

I agree with above, sounds like you use your body but forget the feet.

How long have you driven/experience?

Somethimes people are too stiff because they are ''scared'' or cramped on the bike. You need to feel comfortable, try smaller steps, dont try to make it all the way in once.

If you dare (and have the ability) make a video for us.

Edited by crazybond700
  • Like 1

I've ridden bikes all my life, just about.

Trials as a kid, recently returned to a trials bike after 30 odd years.

Love it.

I am competent on two wheels and can ride up, down, across and perform full lock turns on steep hills.

I can ride along a 6m telegraph pole.

I can get up rock steps to about two feet, and drop off them from a little higher. (although I am not brilliant at lifting the rear wheel for vertical steps yet)

My static balance could be better and I cannot hop either end yet. (except for two or three small ones on the front end)

I am also confident moving about the bike and hanging off or over all 4 sides.

I am not confident on the back wheel, never have been, and need to practise maneouvers with the front wheel air borne.

Hence my question.

Thanks for the input all.

Lineaway, the edited comment makes more sense, I will try that.

Crazybond, not sure about the video, maybe if "her indoors" is about next time.

I know I start the turn with inside peg pressure, but I am not sure I maintain inside peg pressure. I will try to concentrate on that and think about my hips too.

Last night I felt really comfortable and relaxed on the bike and my rock riding went really well, as did a steep ascent with a step halfway up, so I thought i'd try the "front wheel up" stuff.

Now you mention it, I can see the hips being used in that vid, which I have watched numerous times.

That's just what I needed, somebody to point out the not so obvious. Or the obvious to someone not looking!

Thanks chaps.

Will try it again over the weekend.

I know I can float it but not a tight one, I think I too may have been less aggressive on the hips as I need to be.

Though I thought I had my hips correct I likely was not as close to what should be done as it seemed.

Sounds like get the wife to take some video and review in comparison to the above... :)

Thanks!

Edited by jonnyc21

You turn the hips to where you want to go. I got home early tonight and my son had started to work on a hard floater from one log to another. As soon as I got him to rotate his hips, they became tighter and tighter. Of course you still have the shoulders, elbows and peg weight, but hips MATTER!

• Like 1

Hi lineaway

Floater turn from log to log! Wow. Think I'm too old for that malarkey. Certainly beyond my skills.

I was out trying again last night. I wasn't having a good ride, lots of silly dabs. I'd had a long day though so probably tired.

I concentrated on my hips and peg pressure, it definitely helps, but I promptly forgot about elbows!

There is a lot to think about on this one.

I did get better though. I produced a lot of 90 degree turns without dabbing.

I think I need more, or to maintain, front wheel height to get nearer the 180 though.

Need more time...

Hi lineaway

Floater turn from log to log! Wow. Think I'm too old for that malarkey. Certainly beyond my skills.

I was out trying again last night. I wasn't having a good ride, lots of silly dabs. I'd had a long day though so probably tired.

I concentrated on my hips and peg pressure, it definitely helps, but I promptly forgot about elbows!

There is a lot to think about on this one.

I did get better though. I produced a lot of 90 degree turns without dabbing.

I think I need more, or to maintain, front wheel height to get nearer the 180 though.

Need more time...

Step by step :) Better to have the techniques right, than have ''lucky'' attempts. You might create a way in which it works for you (not bad per se) but you might have the overal techniques wrong. If you want to progress with all your riding you better have those basics good.

At the last Ryan Young class I attended , he had us doing the "tree floater " , I found for me at least , it helped greatly with learning to control my turn . You have to be in the correct form to bounce off the tree correctly , and it will almost force you to steer with your feet as you should while rotating your body towards where you want to end up ... But start real slow , with a large dia. tree , just glancing off it . a large target to hit makes it alot easier when you start out . Refine hitting the tree exactly where you aim , before moving to a smaller tree ... I have seen the tree completely missed and that can get ugly fast ...

My big brother used to p*** me off when we were kids , He could effortlessly ride our trusty TL125 around in circles and figure 8's all day long ...@ walking speed ...

Glenn 

I am also peas poor at this technique, I used to be better (didn't we all)...there was a Ryan Young video on Youtube, which has been removed, which showed him teaching a group to floater turn. The video was amateur footage, nothing to do with his dvds.

To initiate the turn he showed how to suddenly 'stab' the footrest with a loaded boot to force the bike to turn,then keep one arm straight and the other very bent. I can't remember the procedure in correct chronological order though? :dunce:

Edited by ham2