Fun On Ty80S!

brewtus

Been posted elsewhere on the web (ADV Rider), but we had so much fun this weekend I had to share here!

Pics from the Mountain West Vintage Trials Association's season opener last weekend -

IMG_6611_zpskfruaj4s.jpg

IMG_6607_zpss2cnjtny.jpg

IMG_6644_zpsuko1ncrg.jpg

IMG_6596_zps5nbctziy.jpg

IMG_6626_zpsze8affsy.jpg

IMG_6609_zpsxxjcvzoc.jpg

IMG_6608_zpsq9gcxhoj.jpg

Awesome weekend. The League will be back!! icon10.gif

IMG_6649_zps8yvwxsvu.jpg

What fun did you have on your TY80?  B)

Edited by brewtus
  • Like 1

Many years ago..... (1974) I was riding in a trial at Dronfield on the North Derbyshire/South Yorkshire border.

A van rolled up bearing Yamaha signage and a Japanese chap pulled one of these toys out of the back.

A crowd soon gathered to marvel at this small version of a real trials bike, they marvelled even more when the Yamaha employee took it to second place in the trial against the 'real' bikes.

I have one in my collection, battered up ol' thing, but starts every time and runs lovely.

• Like 4

Been many years since I rode a TY80.  Dang thing was pert near bullet proof.  I was around 10ish yrs old when the following occurred.

Out riding with my dad (TY250) and brother (TY175).  I was playing in a nice wide gentle sloping gully when the front end washed out and I hit the ground face first.  It was not a direct hit on the ground because I still had forward momentum.  So my face basically slid across the dirt.  I must have been going to say something as I fell, because I ended up playing steam shovel with my face as it scraped across the dirt.  My lower jar played the part of the scoop.  Once I was done crashing my face is covered in dirt, my eyes are caked shut with dirt (rapidly becoming mud due to tears of fear/pain) AND there are teeth marks in the dirt!

Luckily we were riding at a dairy farm with the milking shed close by that had water available to wash my face off.

Got all washed off, had quite a laugh about it and went back to riding.

(Dad and I still chuckle about it to this day)  :D

• Like 4

Many years ago..... (1974) I was riding in a trial at Dronfield on the North Derbyshire/South Yorkshire border.

A van rolled up bearing Yamaha signage and a Japanese chap pulled one of these toys out of the back.

A crowd soon gathered to marvel at this small version of a real trials bike, they marvelled even more when the Yamaha employee took it to second place in the trial against the 'real' bikes.

I have one in my collection, battered up ol' thing, but starts every time and runs lovely.event

I love that story!!  I don't suppose there are any pics from that event?  Prolly not.

Anytime you want to dig that jewel out and come ride with us, you are cordially invited. Bring some friends (or all of 'em!!), we'll have a good time!   :guinness: 

• Like 1

Most of these guys ride modern bikes, but like to harass our vintage club. The kid on the `80 going vertical on the concrete wall actually won the event overall against the big boys bikes. But then again he has a little background.

Quote`A little about yourself: I started riding mototrials and bike trials in 2008. I competed in the 2014 UCI Trials World Championships in Norway. In 2015 I was North American 20” Champion and 2015 Western High School Mototrials National Champion`.

These guys always kidnap my kid for the weekend. (The tall one). But they always have a good time!

• Like 2

Been many years since I rode a TY80.  Dang thing was pert near bullet proof.  I was around 10ish yrs old when the following occurred.

Out riding with my dad (TY250) and brother (TY175).  I was playing in a nice wide gentle sloping gully when the front end washed out and I hit the ground face first.  It was not a direct hit on the ground because I still had forward momentum.  So my face basically slid across the dirt.  I must have been going to say something as I fell, because I ended up playing steam shovel with my face as it scraped across the dirt.  My lower jar played the part of the scoop.  Once I was done crashing my face is covered in dirt, my eyes are caked shut with dirt (rapidly becoming mud due to tears of fear/pain) AND there are teeth marks in the dirt!

Luckily we were riding at a dairy farm with the milking shed close by that had water available to wash my face off.

Got all washed off, had quite a laugh about it and went back to riding.

(Dad and I still chuckle about it to this day)  :D

Reminds me of one of my finishes in a netra jr. enduro when I was 10 or 11 . The event was in Rhode Island somewhere , Lots of beach type sand . Anyways I come around the last corner with my trusty Yamaha mini enduro 60? going full tilt in 4th . I can see the finish line straight in front of me in the sand , and for some reason I've never figured out , while going in a straight line maybe 10 feet from the end , my front end washes out and I cross the line face first in the sand . Every one had a great laugh and my dad got it on some super 8 movie film . I wish I knew where that film was now ....

Glenn 

Well I should head out to the shop and fit the new wes exhaust system on my son's reflex ...  

Edited by axulsuv
  • Like 1

I love that story!!  I don't suppose there are any pics from that event?  Prolly not.

Anytime you want to dig that jewel out and come ride with us, you are cordially invited. Bring some friends (or all of 'em!!), we'll have a good time!   :guinness: 

I have no photographs at all. In those days cameras were a bit big to cart around on a bike. I had a memory then too........ My mobile 'phone camera is better than the last proper camera I had and about a tenth the size.

Reminds me of one of my finishes in a netra jr. enduro when I was 10 or 11 . The event was in Rhode Island somewhere , Lots of beach type sand . Anyways I come around the last corner with my trusty Yamaha mini enduro 60? going full tilt in 4th . I can see the finish line straight in front of me in the sand , and for some reason I've never figured out , while going in a straight line maybe 10 feet from the end , my front end washes out and I cross the line face first in the sand . Every one had a great laugh and my dad got it on some super 8 movie film . I wish I knew where that film was now ....

Glenn 

Well I should head out to the shop and fit the new wes exhaust system on my son's reflex ...  

:rotfl: Glad to hear I am not the only one that slides his face across the dirt/sand.

Was it a JT1? (Yellow, Mini Enduro, it was 60cc)

I had one of those just a few years ago.  Fun little bike, throttle was like an on/off switch though.  But it hauled my fat  :moon: around really good.  Probably really moved with a proper sized rider on it.

AAAAAAH memories, Either from many years ago or recently made, all these little bikes are fun.

I seem to remember it being red . But the memory's not what it used to be ... I do remember a neighbor kid got a brand new XR 75 , 'cause he was spoiled brat . I could still smoke him thru the woods though on the little yamer . Then I moved up to a Suzuki TS 90 ,Thought I was a B.A.. , till my brothers buddy got a Ossa pioneer ! And cleaned all of our clocks ...

• Like 1