Rim Band Inspection W/pics

mbeers6

Is there a way to visually tell if a rim band needs to be replaced? See pics below.

About 3 months ago I had to replace a few spokes which required me to remove and reinstall the rim band. I cleaned it up well including wire brushing the rim and put small dabs of green Slime on each spoke nipple and then coated the rim band in Slim before carefully stretching it back over the time.

Tire held air fine until a few days ago when I noticed it was flat. Soapy water showed air leaking from several spokes. 

UPDATE

I bought new rim band but having trouble getting one section to sit correctly in the "channel".  I used just soapy water.

Do you think this will seal okay or should I start over and try to remove the "bubble"?  Maybe once I have the tire on and air it up it will flatten out?

When I try to remove the bubble, the sides won't fit back into the channel.

IMG_6145_zpsyxdy52ms.jpg

IMG_6143_zpsxckwbtgy.jpg

Thanks!

OLD RIM BAND BELOW

IMG_6135_zpsv3foltix.jpg

Edited by mbeers6

It has to seal really propperly in order to keep the low pressure air in. The mounting is really important but I quess you did that well since it worked for some time. Looks like the band is pretty worn, around the spokes, that does not make it easier to seal...

Personally I think the sealing action is actually at the edges of the rim band where it fits into the groove of the rim.

So if the edges are knackered, have something stuck between the rim and the rim band (small bit of dirt or such) it will not seal.

and then the air will leak through the bad seal at the groove.  The air will then find it's way out a spoke hole or many, much the same way water travels from a leak in a roof to eventually dripping off a low spot in the ceiling.

but just a theory I have.

on edit:  did you use soapy water as a lubricant when re-installing the rim band?   it really helps the sticky rubber band slide into place in the groove.

Edited by zippy

Thank you gents, I think I'm going to just order a new one. I don't want to be too cheap and have a flat in the middle of the next event.

I agree that it's probably the edges when it fits into the valley that keeps the seal. 

Zippy....I used slime to lube the rim band last time. Tried to not stretch it too much when I was pulling it over the rim.

Not a very good example as he glosses over the most important part of seating band in grooves and that air bubbles are ok, plus the newer type bands in valve area. I think the RYP had a much better one.

Is this the RYP one you are talking about? Only one I could find.

http://www.lewisportusa.com/manuals/sherc_11-21-09/rim_band_replacement_manual.pdf