Leonelli Lanyard/magnet Replacement?

doc_d

I just fit a lanyard style kill switch to my GasGas. It's the Leonelli version. I want a spare lanyard / magnet just in case I lose or misplace it during an event. The place I got it did not carry spare lanyard / magnets. I haven't had any luck finding a spare sold in the U.S. I ordered a Jistsie spare but the poles on the magnet are reversed so it doesn't work.

Anyone know somewhere in the U.S. that might sell the spares?

Thanks!

Doc

I had the same issue, I lost my Leonelli lanyard and ordered an Apico replacement only to find the magnet poles were opposite.

I ended up buying a new Apico switch and replacing it.

The switches look identical so I am sure they must all be made in the same factory.

Try getting the magnet out of the lanyard, turn it over and replace, this should reverse the poles.

The Apico switch works by the magnet attracting a metallic disc inside the switch (I'm not sure if the disc is a magnet) when the lanyard is removed a spring pushes the disc against two contacts which then shorts the circuit to earth.

• Like 1

OK that's odd.  Splatshop shows the same magnet working for both the Jitsie and Leonelli kill switches.   I have a Jitsie on order but when I was riding last weekend I swapped bikes with someone and I swear he had a Jitsie kill switch.  We both noted right away the lanyards we had on our wrists from our own bikes wouldn't work on each other's bikes because the magnet repelled.  But now I'm wondering if maybe he had another brand (Apico?) and he just replaced a frayed lanyard with a Jitsie lanyard.  Or maybe I just misread his lanyard and thought it was a Jitsie when it was something else (Apico?).

The guy I swapped bikes with is on these forums (Zippy).  So maybe he'll see this post and chime in on what kind of switch he has.

The Jitsie replacement I ordered should be here today or tomorrow.  So I'll hold off and try it for myself once it's here before ordering a Leonelli spare from the UK.

Thanks!

Doc

Edited by doc_d

OK I received the Jitsie brand magnet and it does indeed work on a Leonelli switch.  So either I misread Zippy's lanyard or he put Jitsie layard on another brand of magnet.

Thanks!

Doc

OK I received the Jitsie brand magnet and it does indeed work on a Leonelli switch.  So either I misread Zippy's lanyard or he put Jitsie layard on another brand of magnet.

Thanks!

Doc

I indeed have an Apico switch.  and you bet the poles are reversed.  

I may have said Jitsie, originally that is what I was going to order.  but being the cheap ******* I am, I went with Apico, slightly less $$$$

• Like 1

I indeed have an Apico switch. and you bet the poles are reversed.

I may have said Jitsie, originally that is what I was going to order. but being the cheap ******* I am, I went with Apico, slightly less $$$$

Thanks for confirming Zippy. I'm just glad I now have a spare that works and won't have to borrow "Nancy" the frilly lanyard/magnet from Biff if I misplace mine.

• Like 1