2017 Models Released. Opinions?

markg

Agree with s.e. lucus & dwb5151 old Montesa fans i think prefer Montesa red.  The kick starter new (off the 300RR) and the fuel pump, is that referring to the  new one in the 2016 model or is this a new one again. Would suit Honda fans, looks like their just trying to do one model for the world instead of rebadging for Japan. Was going to buy new 2017 model Cota now might look for 2nd hand 2016 model. A major disappointment. After 2014 then 15 & 16 changes i was hoping Honda had let Montesa a bit of freedom but if that's all they could come up with.

To be honest the cota looked great and not out dated. As the repsol looks still exactly the same to be honest it is a bit dated i rather have had them change the colour of the repsol instead of the cota this is my opinion.

New mudguards look nice, ptb on repsol and RR models would have been cool, don't see the need for a 300cc standard model, 260cc plenty I think. Still, not much different from my old modded bird really, everything is replaceable, ridden a 14 not much different really

Well I test rode the 2014 cota and to be honest to much engine breaking but lately i got a ride on a 2015 repsol no engine breaking and the showa suspencion was great. Before that i test rode a 2008 montesa which i didnt like as the bike stopped on me when i cut the throttle off.

I think a 260 would be enough but for me coming from a sherco 290 to a 260 there is a power difference. But the torque of them montesa's is unbelieveable the bike could literally pull you up a wall. If the bike can do that you dont need anything bigger but i heard you have to rev the bike like crazy to get it to go up something extrmely steep to be honest i am not sure. But there is now one cota rr in Northern Ireland. But why is everyone asking for a 300cc engine is this for the expert riders but then look at toni boi he's riding a 260 and he is world champion but then his bike has been modified.  

Out of curiosity (and the fact that I've broken more bolts on the GasGas) is the Montesa built from the same parts bin the rest of the manufacturers use? Or are they actually sourcing higher quality parts from different vendors? I'm not clear on how much manufacturing, if any, Honda does directly for this bike.

Out of curiosity (and the fact that I've broken more bolts on the GasGas) is the Montesa built from the same parts bin the rest of the manufacturers use? Or are they actually sourcing higher quality parts from different vendors? I'm not clear on how much manufacturing, if any, Honda does directly for this bike.

The forks and brakes on the Standard model are "shared" components with other manufacturers, along with some wheel/hub components.  The rest is Honda/HRC.  Honda owns Montesa, has for decades.  

Yeah, I know Honda own the company, but that doesn't necessarily mean they do any engineering or manufacturing related to the bike. But it sounds like they do... I might be into one just to get something to bolts don't constantly strip out on.

Yeah, I know Honda own the company, but that doesn't necessarily mean they do any engineering or manufacturing related to the bike. But it sounds like they do... I might be into one just to get something to bolts don't constantly strip out on.

Are you kidding?  Yes, Honda does the engineering and manufacturing of the 4RT, they have since the 314R days.  :thumbup:

• Like 1

Brakes ajp I think on the older bikes, braktec on more recent versions? Showa suspension only on the 4rt and 315r as far as I know, tech forks on the modern standard a shared component. Handle bar controls, throttle tubes etc shared parts bin. Injection system, engine, frame, rad, plastics, did rims on older bikes, nuts and bolts all Honda I believe, assembled in Spain. Please correct me if I'm wrong on any points, I can tell you the bolts and general fit/ quality of the 4rt is far far above the rev3 I had before.