2017 Models Released. Opinions?

markg

The build quality of the montesa is far far ahead of any bike the bikes are built like tanks. You sacraficing weight for quality. The honda engines are reliable and bullet proof the suspencion last so much longer and the matainance is basic. The standard things will still go like the wheel bearings and all. Dont get me wrong the bikes dont change much but why change for example the frame which is great. This is my opinion if your wanting build quality the montesa is the one to go for. But i have to addmitt the vertigo looks well made put we will have to see time will tell.

• Like 1

I think a 260 would be enough but for me coming from a sherco 290 to a 260 there is a power difference. But the torque of them montesa's is unbelieveable the bike could literally pull you up a wall. If the bike can do that you dont need anything bigger but i heard you have to rev the bike like crazy to get it to go up something extrmely steep to be honest i am not sure. But there is now one cota rr in Northern Ireland. But why is everyone asking for a 300cc engine is this for the expert riders but then look at toni boi he's riding a 260 and he is world champion but then his bike has been modified.

Unless what I have seen/heard is incorrect Toni, Jaime, and Takahisa's bikes ar all 311cc or there about. Not counting all the other custom modified bits, I am sure their bikes are about as factory as it gets.

Edited by jonnyc21
  • Like 1

Are you kidding?  Yes, Honda does the engineering and manufacturing of the 4RT, they have since the 314R days.  :thumbup:

I'd just never considered a 4 stroke before, so I know nothing about the Mont. That changed, if only a little, when I rode a dealer friends... although his was actually built by Bou's mechanic. He showed me the parts bag the guy took off the bike... it's basically every nut and bolt that comes standard on it plus a bunch of other stuff I didn't immediately recognize.

Anyway, that bike is unobtanium, but it was a great ride and it sounded fantastic. So I asked how it compares to another local guy's 300rr, and it basically boiled down to weight, and a lot of it. He said even pushing it around it's noticeable how much heavier it is.

In any case, the build quality interests me enough to consider it, but the TRS also looks pretty well put together with a lot of thought to maintenance, so it might be easier (and cheaper) to just stick with a 2 stroke.

I didn't know it was a 311cc montesa I thought they rode the standard bikes with a few modifications. What interests me is how they make it a 311cc . As the kit to make the montesa a 300 is £2000 and it only makes it a 300.

• 3 weeks later...

• 3 weeks later...

I didn't know it was a 311cc montesa I thought they rode the standard bikes with a few modifications. What interests me is how they make it a 311cc . As the kit to make the montesa a 300 is £2000 and it only makes it a 300.

Either bigger bore or longer rod.

I would guess that both are custom on the factory bikes, but the big changes are likely in the valve timing, fuel maps, clutch, and gears, not so much on size.

Valve timing and fuel mapping are a much bigger factor in performance over size on most engines...

I would guess that any similarity is barely even skin deep. Crankcase perhaps but probably not much beyond that and the basic frame. Cost is irrelevant to Honda in this context.

But its alright most people think they are riding the standard bike with a few mods. Looking at toni bike bigger radiator, bigger engine a lot of trick bits. Why is it required? For example i heard a rumour that the montesa some times over heat so is it required to have a bigger radiator.

In my experience a bigger radiator isn't necessary unless you have modified the bike or there is something out of sorts. I can see where if your riding in extreme heat I could be mistaken, but top notch fluid and bike care and it shouldn't be a problem. (That and I have been in some really hot riding conditions and never needed one)

Almost all of the people I have seen who want one are on modified bikes.

Before the minimum weight rule was introduced a foreign magazine tested ragas factory gas gas and Toni's 4rt , the montesa was lighter. Why necessary? Well Raga often isn't that far behind so the bike in standard form must not be competitive at that level. The test I'm talking about was around 2007 / 2008. Everything including the crankcases was different.

anyone know what the suspension is on the 300RR ? Any news on the 2017 300RR

Hi-end Tec fork (all aluminium) and the usual (improved) Showa shock at the rear.

But its alright most people think they are riding the standard bike with a few mods. Looking at toni bike bigger radiator, bigger engine a lot of trick bits. Why is it required? For example i heard a rumour that the montesa some times over heat so is it required to have a bigger radiator.

It's advised to mount a larger radiator if you use a big bore kit.

The fan of my 300RR runs much more often than on my previous 260 and 250 4RT.

It even seems to run continuously at temperatures above 25°C when riding at very slow speeds.

• Like 1