Full Face Hemets For Trials. Or Are We Too English For Them?

iconic558

At the recent trials held at the USA AMA museum it was anounced that the Helmet laws for AMA members will be tightened. I have several dozen helmets here in the us and one on europe. The rules are similar for both regions but different in acessibility.

Here in the states the two authorities on helmets are the department of transportation aka DOT and Snell rating (probably no relation to the trs importer). Snell ratings are done by callendar by callendar year and are generally enforced by the auto racing officals. DOT is a bit of a farce here because you can buy a helmet and it might have a dot decal on it but tge governing body isnt really paying attention.

I have purchased $20 dot helmets. Yea im not cool like that. In my state and numerous others a helmet isnt even required so i consider "something" better than nothing.

Here in the states i can go to a store at midnight on a sunday or saturday and buy a trials legal helmet. Our big box stores here never close.... to be honest i can usually buy helmet, gear and hardware 24 hours 7 days a week here. Of course its not trials specific or branded but it wil allow me to ride on sunday because a bolt is a bolt and gear is just as protective as you make it.

Now the picture you posted is of Logan who i met as a todler and his dad louie is an awesome person. I cant speek as a rep of Logan but i have asked about the full face and it gives him confidence. I draw parellels to spine protectors in europe. Only a hand full of riders here use spine protectors. Virtually every EU rider i meet use spine protectors. I have one by optima.

In trials here we just ask that you try and protect your noggin. I know of your sean hes a good guy. If you show up in the usa and need a helmet or boots just ask around. We will point you toward a resource.

--Biff

Edited by biffsgasgas

I personally don`t care what helmet anyone wears. But a helmet should not give you more confidence to ride bigger obstacles. Your ability should be what gives you the desire and will to ride untried obstacles. Then again I started riding trials before helmets were required.

Me too , I had a couple of bell stroker caps like Mick ... But I am quite comfy in my airoh ...

Edited by axulsuv