Montesa 4RT260 vrs Beta 4T

lotus54

Montesa 4RT260 vrs Beta 4T

I could only find pretty old discussions.

I'm considering picking up a 4 stroke for my trail riding.  I already have a great bike for that (OSSA Explorer) but it does have quite a lot of hours now and with  parts probably getting harder to get in the future I'm thinking of adding a bike.

The Beta 4T is lighter I know, great reports and look very well made.

The Montesa has FI, reported to be very reliable and well made.

Anyone have a fair amount of time on both and offer comparisons?

(I won't be riding trials with either of these I doubt, but super tight 'pseudo' track I like to ride so much. I'm an intermediate trials rider, quite a lot of experience in riding in general, no longer want to go fast)

mark

edit:

Does the Montesa still come with the removeable seat?  I actually have the Beta 'long range kit' so know about those.

Edited by lotus54

Mark,

I haven't been on a Beta 4T, however the Beta 2T I have been on rides more like a Gas Gas than the Montesa 4T dose and from what I understand the OSSA is also more Gas Gas like in its ride.  

On that note for trail rides I would expect the ability to connect the long range kit directly into the fuel system will give you a much more enjoyable fuel experience if your riding is often more than about 23 miles as that is about the best I have ever had on my 07 4RT (250cc).  

The current 2017 Montesa's don't come with a seat, and with the cost of an after market one I would think being able to get one with a new Beta or if you have one already it might be the better option.

Not having to jet on the Montesa dose have its advantages and I myself like the ride of the Montesa over the Beta as it's feels a bit more stable in tight corners as it's tendency to tuck is less.  However this would likely be more apparent in trials than on the trail.

the part I cannot speak to is  characteristics of the Beta 4T's engine as only the handling is similar on the Beta 2T over the 4T 

It is probably a fairer comparison between the 300rr Montesa and the Beta 4t as the displacement is comparable.I have spent a fair amount of time on the Beta 4t and now own a 300rr. Both are good bikes and I wouldn't want to come off as bad mouthing one over the other. You can direct message me if you would like some input.

You really need to ride both. My son has a 300 Beta with all the bells and whistles. But the family I work for has a 2017 4rt, 4 2016`s and about 5 2006`s. For the most part I prefer the Beta. If you want full power get the Factory model. I really like the 300rr over the std 4rt which I have ridden both the 2016 and 2017. The Beta is a better fit if you are taller, my son is pushing 6 `5`. Either four stroke is a blast on the trail vs my lowly 250 Beta 2 stroke that I still prefer. 

• Like 1

Hope I didn't sound like I was knocking ether...  I favor the Montesa myself as noted by my ownership of both an 07 Montesa 4RT and a 2017 300RR but not having been on a 300 Beat 4T I attempted to add some thought on what I know of both close as possible with regard to the difference between it and the 2T I have experienced...

Edited by jonnyc21

The 4Ride sounded really intersting- pretty heavy compared to my OSSA, but has other very good points. Doesn’t reall matter since they are not available in the States- maybe never?

My Explorer weighs about the same as the 4RT260- and is street legal (well, has all the street legal stuff and easy to plate in WA)

But no longer made and with getting close to 400 hours, seems a good time to look for another bike to add.  Like any of us need an excuse? Haha

• Like 1

• 3 years later...
On 9/20/2017 at 8:24 PM, steve fracy said:

It is probably a fairer comparison between the 300rr Montesa and the Beta 4t as the displacement is comparable.I have spent a fair amount of time on the Beta 4t and now own a 300rr. Both are good bikes and I wouldn't want to come off as bad mouthing one over the other. You can direct message me if you would like some input.

Hi, I know this is an old post but I am returning to the sport after decades and looking at both of these bikes. On a scale of 1-10 my skill level is 0.0001 so I want easy ride and fairly easy maint (zero would be great!) in Canada so the montesa/Honda is an easier purchase. Many people have said the Beta is easier to ride for an inept. Appreciate any input. There will be no test ride before I have to order. As I haven’t ridden any sort of bikes in 20 years I doubt I’d have the nerve to test ride any new bike in public

5 hours ago, FrankHugh said:

Hi, I know this is an old post but I am returning to the sport after decades and looking at both of these bikes. On a scale of 1-10 my skill level is 0.0001 so I want easy ride and fairly easy maint (zero would be great!) in Canada so the montesa/Honda is an easier purchase. Many people have said the Beta is easier to ride for an inept. Appreciate any input. There will be no test ride before I have to order. As I haven’t ridden any sort of bikes in 20 years I doubt I’d have the nerve to test ride any new bike in public

I have sense spent some decent time on a Beta 300 4T so can now provide a better comparison between the two of them and have also been able to get some good input from my friend who had the Beta 4T on other things.  

Beta 300 4T: Softer off the bottom than the Montesa smooth but not lacking power, solid and smooth mid range where the power starts to come on stronger, rev's out really nice on the top with lots of linier power.  Clutch is very predictable, firm, a little quicker than the diaphragm clutch common on most 2T's (adjustments and tweaks well known to make it better if you do get one), suspension is good a little less compliant than the Montesa but over all not lacking.  Single oil for gear box and engine.

Montesa 300 RR Stronger power off the bottom but predictable still smooth just, strong mid range again still predictable but noticeable, plenty of power at the top end as it will rev up quick to provide lots of go when you want it.  Clutch is a bit harder pull on the Montesa 300 RR but not a lot but the clutch on the 260's are the same as the Beta.  You can remove/change the spacers on the 300 RR to the same as the 260 if you want it to be softer.  Suspension on the Montesa 300 is more plush than the Beta and feels better in rock/log piles and on the bigger drops and hits.  Different oil for engine and gearbox.

Other considerations: the Montesa's will not need to have any jetting work done on them, the Beta will do better if you jet it for your altitude.  

Hope this helps.

Food for thought: The seat tank on the Beat 4T is much larger and a lot easier to get than the after market version you can get for the Montesa so if you are planning on using it for a mix of trials and trails that could be a consideration if you like long trail rides.  

Edited by jonnyc21