Jump to content

dirtrider6

Montesa Cota 247 Break In Period

Recommended Posts

31 minutes ago, 2stroke4stroke said:

Nice bike indeed, and all the more so for still having the original tail silencer as opposed to one of those horrible sounding alloy jobs that they usually have by now.

Thank You this will be the oldest Trials bike I have ever owned, it appears to be in great shape and the friend I am buying it from really took care of his bikes, this one was never even rode after the rebuild just stored away

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

9 hours ago, dirtrider6 said:

He said that he remembers getting epoxy to seal tanks but he had a huge collection at the time and doesn't recall if this bike was done, can you tell by looking inside, or should I just get it redone?

Normally you can't apply a new sealer over an old sealer and it can be a big job removing the old stuff.  Wait until you can see what is there as long as the original sealing job was done correctly it should be fine.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
On 01/03/2018 at 4:17 AM, 2stroke4stroke said:

Nice bike indeed, and all the more so for still having the original tail silencer as opposed to one of those horrible sounding alloy jobs that they usually have by now.

There are some high quality alloy mufflers out there, such as below.

 

GPRecambios_592_c80e9f65_gran.jpg

Edited by fourex
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
 
 
14 hours ago, keychange said:

Normally you can't apply a new sealer over an old sealer and it can be a big job removing the old stuff.  Wait until you can see what is there as long as the original sealing job was done correctly it should be fine.

Hopefully the shop can tell if it was done before

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
On ‎28‎/‎02‎/‎2018 at 11:33 PM, dirtrider6 said:

He said that he remembers getting epoxy to seal tanks but he had a huge collection at the time and doesn't recall if this bike was done, can you tell by looking inside, or should I just get it redone?

My epoxy linings went dark brown after a few months exposure to petrol while the original polyester resin stays clear/light brown. Also a 40 year old unlined Spanish fibreglass tank will usually have exposed glass here and there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

Finally picking up the bike tomorrow we had bad weather last week

Got the following upgrades to install

Sammy Miller Expert Trials Shocks

OKO Competition D Slide Carburetor

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

Judging by the frame number it is a 1974

Had to get new tires also, the ones that are on it were new never ridden but the rubber was hard from sitting all these years

Hope to have it back from the shop this week and take a couple pictures

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

Had a snafu with the throttle cable not fitting the new carb, just got that in today, and ordered the footpegs from the UK

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
Just got a call the bike is finally done! Started on the second kick, picking it up Monday or Tuesday
One thing he said with the new rear shocks it is transferring weight to the front end, do you think a heavier oil in the forks would help?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

Couple of my friends said to use spacers cut from PVC anyone know the size of the springs or what size PVC to get?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
13 hours ago, dirtrider6 said:

One thing he said with the new rear shocks it is transferring weight to the front end, do you think a heavier oil in the forks would help?

Interesting question, where someone expresses an opinion that may or may not be correct. Did you get the shocks set for your weight? Are they the correct length? What oil is in the forks? Have you ridden it yet?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

Just looking at the advice above re oils and capacities - can somebody confirm that they will work in my 1979 247 please? Or recommend alternatives?

Many thanks 

 

capacities I have are - clutch = 200 cc 10/20w or ATF, gearbox = 300cc 10/40w or 75w (should be a GL4 oil due to brass/bronze parts in there), forks = 190ml 10, 20, or ATF (use different weight oil to suit rider, but action should be "soft" compared to dirt bike), original mix is 25:1 with engine oil, but modern synthetics can run up to 50:1 - I use 40:1 with top grade oil and non additive unleaded gas in my older 2 strokes. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
15 hours ago, oldaz said:

Interesting question, where someone expresses an opinion that may or may not be correct. Did you get the shocks set for your weight? Are they the correct length? What oil is in the forks? Have you ridden it yet?

No shocks were straight out of the box and they were the correct length listed

No idea what oil is in the forks, and yea I have yet to ride it and see how it feels, and the mechanic is a endure rider, hope to pick up the bike this week and take it for a ride to form my own opinion

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...