Sister Sport

micm

Couple of photos of the trick style sporting trials cars at an event near Petersfield in Hampshire over the weekend. Like the two and three wheel variety there is a thriving 'Retro' car scene but the rules on altering original parts (think Ford 1172 side valves and BMC A series motors) are pretty strict.

The latest cars (photos) have transaxle gearboxes and elaborate suspension setups, but all the cars cannot shift their engines back beyond a certain point. Also they are not allowed to fit limited slip diffs. All sporting sections are what we would call graded hills, often with many turns.

TC 1.jpg

TC 2.jpg

TC 3.jpg

TC 4.jpg

Interesting. A couple of points spring to mind:

1. Why have a rule controlling engine position (presumably to indirectly control F/R weight distribution) and then allow what looks like a humungous lump of ballast in the spare wheel (pic 3)?

2. Why is there a conventional mid-mounted gearbox (pic 4) if the car has a transaxle?

8 hours ago, trapezeartist said:

Interesting. A couple of points spring to mind:

1. Why have a rule controlling engine position (presumably to indirectly control F/R weight distribution) and then allow what looks like a humungous lump of ballast in the spare wheel (pic 3)?

2. Why is there a conventional mid-mounted gearbox (pic 4) if the car has a transaxle?

I am guessing, but 1. they have found a way around the rule on weight distribution? and 2, to lower the gearing? I think there is a rule about what tyres they can use, basically a standard road tyre

The front spark plug front axle rule was clearly intended to control weight distribution. I believe it can only be a 1/5th of the wheel base behind the front axle. The cars can suddenly rear up when climbing also when reversing from a climb on a steep hill when the back brakes are on.

Yes the transaxle is for the same reason as is the lead in the spare tyre centre. Ballast is OK but must not be changed during the event. All cars must use the same named tyre and at each event a tyre pressure is announced. This event it was 5psi. No supercharging, so carbs or FI, the engine size being around 1500cc as in Honda or Suzuki. 

This trial car design is a 'Sherpa'  

TC 5.jpg

• Like 1

The basic configuration regarding wheelbase minimum track width and engine position originally comes from the old Austin 7 they are the same size believe it or not.1650cc max must be from a road going car although just about anything goes regarding mods.Greychapel is on the money with the gear box ,to get the reduction, bottom about 25:1 through to around 14:1. Ballast? we will pass on that one! Regarding the "odd" lines its sometimes preferred to go at a slight angle to get the weight on the low wheel so the high wheel can be prevented from spinning with the fiddle brake, one for each of the rear wheels, the foot brake generally only operates the fronts. Trials "riders" generally cross over pretty well. If you fancy a go put the date in your diary 20/10/18  in Oxfordshire. But be warned you may just get hooked!  http://btrda.com/championship/sporting-trials/

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, collyolly said:

Gordon Jackson, the rider famous for his one dab ride of the Scottish transferred over to car trials quite successfully, he was British champion for a number of years I believe.

I was the 'bouncer/passenger at Gordon's first car trial at Longmoor Hampshire in about 1964 ish. I didn't know who he was, I read about trials every week in Motorcycle News but I didn't go to events so I didn't recognise him. He was just introduced as Gordon, needing a passenger. To say he was a natural is understating it!  I thought  'My god this guy's so good.' At the lunch break (in the pub) I asked him his second name and it all fell into place. We came 4th overall I think.