Arthritic fingers ?

Good evening fellow riders, I am getting arthritic type pain in my index fingers and knuckles after riding.

I am also getting pointy bits on the side of my index knuckle joints from the obvious repetitive use of the clutch and brake.

Has anyone else experienced this, and have any wonder cures or suggestions, I have tried riding with two fingers on the levers, but find that quite awkward.

Cheers in advance.

Try Aloe Vera, slightly orange flavoured drink. I'v been taking it daily for about 15 years & it sorted my rheumatic knee. Not guaranteed but it's well worth a try.  About 18 quid a litre I think.

Takes a couple of months to get into ye system at 20 ml a day.

The agents often have a stall at craft fairs. 

If ye get stuck for it I'll see if my missus can come up with a Surrey connection from her agent.

2 hours ago, lineaway said:

Move the lever mounts as far inward as possible to get the most leverage. I find s3 digit levers the best as thy are thinner. What kind of bike do you rude?

Plus one on both! S3 digit levers work best for my old arthritic hands!

I was wondering if anyone makes a LEFT HAND throttle?  Then you could learn to use your right hand index finger to operate the clutch.

Or, how about a suicide clutch, like they used on early Harleys? It would make using the clutch in sections interesting.

Peter_Steer your current bike; if as your profile, should have smooth and lightish control operation. Just as with miles of road riding finger joints and other parts stiffen up and detract from the enjoyment of riding. Like others have suggested experiment with control positions, don’t forget that handlebar position and most especially height can have a marked effect on your body and posture. Have a good look at alternative levers offered as direct replacements for the standard controls.

Analysis of your riding position, stance helps to, you may be clenching the throttle and this will soon create soreness etc in the hand and wrist joint, look at how you hold the throttle. Your chosen lever position may be the route cause and a change is as good as a rest. When doing high road miles, no matter what bike; and I have had quite a few, changing feet and body position slightly keeps your body from becoming cramped, stiff and harder to react. This is a bad situation for road riding and even worse for quick responses off road. Enduro riding has equally the same issues. The pointy bits you mention on your knuckles sound to be similar to the repetitive strain injuries the likes of which builders tend to suffer. Others who use their hands a lot, mechanics, engineers etc also tend to have the same problems, other trades to.

I have a trapped nerve in my spine which left me with limited feeling in my right leg and pins and needle pain which is permanent. I also have neck issues brought about by years of wearing helmets and fighting the wind pressure trying to pull my head off when travelling at speed, no fairing to hide behind; likewise the constant bouncing about off road wearing a helmet did not help...what we do for fun eh! 

A consultation with your local GP would not go amiss if you have not already done so. Me personally, I now take 2 Paracetamol 500mg tablet/capsule each and 20 minutes later I take 1 ibuprofen 400mg capsule when in pain or stiffening up. Then repeat the dose after or at the recommended time lapse. This is not what I am saying anyone else should take without first consulting a medical professional.

Aloe Vera and any moisturiser cream is good for your finger and hand joints, the massage is the key factor. Aloe Vers based drinks work for some people, Cod Liver oil tablets can have a marked effect on joints all over the body. 

Riding with two fingers on the levers (or three) is good for quick responses, but try not to ride all the time like this as the tendons need to change position and tension regularly. The way most Trials bike are set up you tend to find that the levers are set for operation from the standing position and are often difficult to use while seated. Some will no doubt say they don’t have issues but then they may have bigger hands, longer fingers or just be more supple! 

Guard against the cold getting to your hands to. Hope this helps you to continue and enjoy your sport?

Edited by section swept

Thanks everyone for the suggestions, I might try some s3 levers, I have taken two springs out or the clutch which helps, but I do have a bad clutch habit I need to get out of.

I quite like the idea of some of the supplements in the hope of curing it, I will post up on here if I get any joy.

Cheers, keep riding while you can !