Jump to content

johnnyjazz

Further storage questions from the novice!

Recommended Posts

Hello friends, the mechanical ignoramus here again from Brooklyn NY.  please bear with me as im sure you are fed up with me asking for advice, but time spent on reconnaissance is seldom wasted and if there's no such thing as a silly question etc...

having followed all the sagacious insights from you all in my last post about winter storage, i was a bit saddened to find out the in-laws shed where i now keep the bike floods when it rains heavily leaving about 3-4" of standing water for a day or two until it drains.  i deliberately raised it up about 6" off the ground on plywood and put some thick plastic sheeting underneath so the bike isn't directly in contact with the water, but i'm aware that its a fairly damp wet environment esp' at the moment as its been raining a lot.  i wish i knew more about this stuff myself but am limited in my knowledge of trying to preserve vintage bikes nicely.  in my earlier post someone had said words to the effect of chuck em under the porch in the rain and 'she'll be 'right they're built for it' kinda thing, but i also read feetupfun saying these conditions will destroy bearings/seals in no time and a 2T is more susceptible to damage than a 4T (curious as to why that is?)...

i gave her a brief spray down with wd40 on exposed parts but wondering is a thick coating of Vaseline better to avoid corrosion? and which parts are most likely to rust first so i can keep an eye on them when i next go and check as i wasn't able to look over new years when i was there as it was raining really hard and the shed was wet.   its been there about a month now.  am i being super paranoid or should i be concerned? i've worked so hard (and learnt so much) coming here to help restore the bike and get it road legal etc and i really dont want to ruin it with 4 months storage in the wrong conditions.  i just want to preserve a time capsule for my son to have one day.  the shed is well ventilated so the conditions on the inside generally reflect the outside.

a heated storage unit here for bikes runs about $150pm which is a little steep for me right now so the only other option is to see if the mother in law would let me keep in inside. it would have to go upstairs in wife's old bedroom and even then not ideal as id have to get it upstairs (on my own) and then say yes to everything she asks of me and agree with her about anything...maybe that's a good trade off to keep the bike nice?

are there any issues or concerns about keeping a bike inside? obviously id drain the fuel but is there anything else i should do?  my fear though is once its inside its never coming out and i know we need to ride em not hide em.  what would you more knowledgeable folk recommend?

as always i'm humbled in the shadow of your expertise and i know so little id rather ask and be ridiculed than not ask at all.  the last TY i had was in 1986, cost 250quid and left it at my mates farm in the barn and at 12 years old i had slightly different concerns in life than now and obviously i've got a wee bit more into this one! 

pics enclosed of finished bike, shed, bike in shed and last one shows how much standing water collects in the back corner when it rains.

thank you all so much for any advice, comments or criticism and humbly yours from the land of over priced rent and $1 pizza :) johnny

 

a.jpg

20181209_082605.jpg

20181209_082840.jpg

20190101_093109.jpg

Edited by johnnyjazz

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

Corrosion-x  is a fav for prevention. not cheap, but a can goes a long way.

Better too much than too little, re treat and wipe surfaces if/when you can.

Bike looks great, keep it that way!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
8 hours ago, johnnyjazz said:

then say yes to everything she asks of me and agree with her about anything...maybe that's a good trade off to keep the bike nice?

I thought that was normal expectation of the mother-in-law and that was just to be allowed to keep her daughter for each of many years, let alone a good looking TY250, which was the exact bike i had during our courtship. 

Well done on the restoration.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

Looks like your shed is on a slope so why does it flood ? Is it just a leaking roof ,if so sort that out as you have the basis of a solid looking workshop.

Get rid of all the crxp, spend a few quid (bucks) on the roof and possibly lining the walls and you have a man cave, next get the outlaws to lay on some power and you are good to go, the added benefit of somewhere to tinker when you need your own space.

good luck

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
4 hours ago, collyolly said:

Looks like your shed is on a slope so why does it flood ? Is it just a leaking roof ,if so sort that out as you have the basis of a solid looking workshop.

Get rid of all the crxp, spend a few quid (bucks) on the roof and possibly lining the walls and you have a man cave, next get the outlaws to lay on some power and you are good to go, the added benefit of somewhere to tinker when you need your own space.

good luck

 

As above add rainwater gutters to the shed roof, put a perimeter land drain around the building and feed that and the roof water to a soak away a few yards away from the building on the lower side.

Edited by trialsrfun
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

You have certainly done an excellent restoration job on your TY....hope you are proud of it. You should loan it to a museum then it would be in a heated environment free of condensation. You could visit 😉

You could try a vacuum pack storage bag, these are advertised on the net. This would mean that you could use that awful shed to store your TY in. If it was mine I’d have the bike in the house like a family pet.👍

Edited by section swept
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
2 hours ago, section swept said:

You have certainly done an excellent restoration job on your TY....hope you are proud of it. You should loan it to a museum then it would be in a heated environment free of condensation. You could visit 😉

You could try a vacuum pack storage bag, these are advertised on the net. This would mean that you could use that awful shed to store your TY in. If it was mine I’d have the bike in the house like a family pet.👍

A friend of mine did have an arrangement with a bikers cafe where he would display his old trials bikes in rotation in suitably benign conditions.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

Thanks so much again friends, appreciate all guidance.  the shed is actually solid with a good roof that doesn't leak..  i dint know as i hadn't spent enough time up there, but turns out there is some kind of natural spring in the garden that combined with when it rains heavily causes the whole garden to turn to mush.  the shed only has a soil floor with paving slabs laid down so the water is coming up from under those.  it is on my project list this summer to sort it out properly and spend some money and time on it in exchange for....drum roll please.....being allowed to bring her inside and tuck the bike away upstairs! hallelujah :) very happy and very lucky to have such great in laws and wife's dad even helped me hump it up the stairs, bless him!  so turns out i now have my own motorcycle museum...hooray!  though interestingly even a month in those conditions had started to show wear on the bike in places.  super glad i didn't vacillate in my efforts to remedy things. i will crawl back under my rock now and re emerge here in the spring when it doesn't start or nothing works and i need more help..til then,  thanks again for being an awesome cyber family that a jazz musician from NY crazy enough to buy a trials bike can turn to for advice! johnny

20190106_151021.jpg

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
9 hours ago, johnnyjazz said:

Thanks so much again friends, appreciate all guidance.  the shed is actually solid with a good roof that doesn't leak..  i dint know as i hadn't spent enough time up there, but turns out there is some kind of natural spring in the garden that combined with when it rains heavily causes the whole garden to turn to mush.  the shed only has a soil floor with paving slabs laid down so the water is coming up from under those.  it is on my project list this summer to sort it out properly and spend some money and time on it in exchange for....drum roll please.....being allowed to bring her inside and tuck the bike away upstairs! hallelujah :) very happy and very lucky to have such great in laws and wife's dad even helped me hump it up the stairs, bless him!  so turns out i now have my own motorcycle museum...hooray!  though interestingly even a month in those conditions had started to show wear on the bike in places.  super glad i didn't vacillate in my efforts to remedy things. i will crawl back under my rock now and re emerge here in the spring when it doesn't start or nothing works and i need more help..til then,  thanks again for being an awesome cyber family that a jazz musician from NY crazy enough to buy a trials bike can turn to for advice! johnny

20190106_151021.jpg

Ahh thats better👍🙂

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×