WTC observations from an old fart

4 hours ago, faussy said:

Same principle. When things are at a lower level the difference in abilities is minimised

yes thats why i said" tell me"  so same bike same course why are the scores not all the same ? no bike advantage but your still going to get good rider and bad riders

16 hours ago, faussy said:

They would put less pressure on finding venues capable of hosting a WTC. Theres becoming less and less. You did hear the news that britain isn't hosting a WTC? Its a factor. Modern bikes certainly don't inspire this generation to get involved. If anything, they put people off

It is the bikes fault, when the bikes were less capable, experts and clubmen used to ride the same line. Now theres 3 lines, sometimes 4 lines at a trial and it still isn't enough. Put Lewis hamilton in a ford fiesta and you and i wouldnt be that far behind him. Put us in an F1 car, we wouldnt see him past the first corner. Same principle. When things are at a lower level the difference in abilities is minimised. Do you follow the Scottish or the pre65 scottish even?

Accessible? Accessible means lowering the level closer to Joe Bloggs, you're contradicting yourself here.

PS Your comment sounds like you were on the pish when you wrote it

From wikipedia Motorcycle trials, also known as observed trials, is a non-speed event on specialized motorcycles. The sport is most popular in the United Kingdom and Spain, though there are participants around the globe.

Modern trials motorcycles are distinctive in that they have evolved to become extremely lightweight, lack seating (they are designed to be ridden standing up) and have suspension travel that is short, relative to a motocross or enduro motorcycle.

Motorcycle trials is often utilized by competitors in other motorcycle sports (such as motocross or road racers) as a way to cross-train, as trials requires fine throttle, balance, and machine control

Edited by on it
add

It's a funny old sport for sure, I think most riders only judge themselves against a few others, just the few they feel they should keep up with the rest of the entry are of no concern. Anyway, if you don't enter the A/Championship class your admitting defeat before you start so what's the big deal.

Frankly the bikes are a bit ott and most would ride just as well on an old Yamaha mono with decent tyres ,for the average rider it's just been progress for it's own sake for years .

I certainly wouldn't want go back to a ty as I'm as lazy as the rest of you on the forum that should have packed in 20 years ago,be happy to go with a reduction in tyre width though.

• Like 1

A previous post mentioned youngsters pursuing a 'career in competitive trials' now let's get this all in perspective, I have ridden on and off for 40 years and every event is still 99% enthusiastic sportsman rather than potential career riders in fact we are talking probably one rider a decade per centre who is good enough to get to the pinnacle of this sport ( honestly it's even fewer )

That 99% of the entry do not care who wins the WTC it is totally irrelevant to normal riders, we ride to enjoy ourselves not emulate WTC stars otherwise everyone would ride Hondas and Ossa would never have sold a bike.

Loose the WTC and all of its expense, pass the saving down to the riders get bikes back down to sensible prices, it's not long ago that a new GasGas was £3K, has your income doubled in the same period ? 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, b40rt said:

It would be interesting if manufacturers started fielding teams in "real" trials, then it might have some relevance to 99.9% of riders. 

It would not prove anything .Even at club level the sport is at 2 levels riders that are 100% committed to trials and the other level are the play riders.

27 minutes ago, on it said:

It would not prove anything .Even at club level the sport is at 2 levels riders that are 100% committed to trials and the other level are the play riders

Maybe, don't think either of us will be proven right soon ?

That photo of Steve Saunders at the Butser world round also tells a valuable story, it was in the days before massive factory trucks and FIM meddling, everyone parked in a muddy carpark.

His Fantic was not a lot different to what we could buy from the dealer, some local riders rode that same event on stock bikes (World round !).

Massive crowds cheering Steve all the way, what fabulous memories

• Like 2

Steves engine was rather more than standard that day,those hills were killing a lot of the other bikes.Steve gave the rest a riding lesson in awful conditions in a classic venue which has sadly been lost to the sport.The local boys struggled all day at a BTC then,much as they do now

I think the difference now is the fact that 5ing a muddy climb is unlikely to damage rider or bike,failing a big rock step is a bit different 

• Like 1