Did it scare you ...

So today I went out on the bike for the first real time.

And tbh it scared me senseless ... I was just doing figure 8s and I was fine riding circles, could balance no probse but I then used 2nd gear and a few more revs to move off  .. front lurched up and I felt totally out of control after nearly coming off the back.

Properly had the shakes after and couldn't get back on it.

Now I'm worried I've made a mistake trying it .. can anyone help / share their advice or experience? Did you all start the same ? 

Steve

I started out on an 06 pro and found it a bit like how you described above. To calm it down I was advised to try these points.

You can fit a slow throttle, to check which type you have just roll the grip back slightly to see what colour the tube is (White is quick.Black is slow) 

The 2006 has two ignition settings, If you do not have a switch fitted showing "Sun or Rain" then check under the tank for 2 wires Orange and Black are connected together (this would be the rain setting). 

You can fit a Flywheel weight.

Change the sprockets gearing. I use 10t front 42t rear.

If the rear shock is too firm try softening it. 

Practice clutch/throttle & brake control ?

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, richt said:

I started out on an 06 pro and found it a bit like how you described above. To calm it down I was advised to try these points.

You can fit a slow throttle, to check which type you have just roll the grip back slightly to see what colour the tube is (White is quick.Black is slow) 

The 2006 has two ignition settings, If you do not have a switch fitted showing "Sun or Rain" then check under the tank for 2 wires Orange and Black are connected together (this would be the rain setting). 

You can fit a Flywheel weight.

Change the sprockets gearing. I use 10t front 42t rear.

If the rear shock is too firm try softening it. 

Practice clutch/throttle & brake control ?

It had a quick response (white) when I bought it .. I replaced this with a black domino slow unit.

Can I ask what difference this makes to the ignition and how should I adapt it ?

Not sure what sprockets I'm running. 

HI Steve - how much experience have you got on a bike? - I think you have just the right bike for starting out but it is designed for doing all sorts of tricks so it will get way from you if you rev it and let the clutch out a bit fast. Don't give up - maybe try adjusting the tickover a little higher so it doesn't stall and just practice with the clutch alone. Once you have that mastered, find a bit of space and try riding a gentle course with the clutch lever out and just gently playing the throttle - very small/gentle movements. It's a case of practice in a steady way. Big revs are for leaping up walls! Good luck

1 minute ago, markparrish said:

HI Steve - how much experience have you got on a bike? - I think you have just the right bike for starting out but it is designed for doing all sorts of tricks so it will get way from you if you rev it and let the clutch out a bit fast. Don't give up - maybe try adjusting the tickover a little higher so it doesn't stall and just practice with the clutch alone. Once you have that mastered, find a bit of space and try riding a gentle course with the clutch lever out and just gently playing the throttle - very small/gentle movements. It's a case of practice in a steady way. Big revs are for leaping up walls! Good luck

Experience = none

But I've made secret of this. 

The bike seems very snappy and jerky when applying initial throttle ... It's much smoother higher up the revs ...

1 hour ago, Stevew250 said:

So today I went out on the bike for the first real time.

And tbh it scared me senseless ... I was just doing figure 8s and I was fine riding circles, could balance no probse but I then used 2nd gear and a few more revs to move off  .. front lurched up and I felt totally out of control after nearly coming off the back.

Properly had the shakes after and couldn't get back on it.

Now I'm worried I've made a mistake trying it .. can anyone help / share their advice or experience? Did you all start the same ? 

Steve

I think your incident is entirely normal for someone with little or no experience, we've all had the feeling of the bike running away with us at the very beginning. If the bike is running as it should, you just need to practice taking off from a standstill, pay attention to what you're doing with your throttle hand and you'll soon get the hang of doing it fairly smoothly and your confidence will really pick up then.

Keep at it, it will come, and you'll look back and laugh at today's experience.

• Like 2

Yes those are the wires on your photo so you are already on the rainy setting.

There is only a very subtle difference between the 2 ignition settings, One is intended for slippy conditions with a very slightly softer power band with slightly restricted top revs. The second one is just normal.  The switch if fitted is only an open/closed switch, the 2 wires I mentioned are connected together for the softer one and just disconnected from each other for normal one. ?

Il leave as is for now.

I think I felt like I was the only person to have ever experienced this. I was fine pulling away ... It was when moving and I wanted to increase the speed it took me by surprise! 

1 hour ago, Stevew250 said:

Il leave as is for now.

I think I felt like I was the only person to have ever experienced this. I was fine pulling away ... It was when moving and I wanted to increase the speed it took me by surprise! 

definitely not alone Steve! I can remember my first try on a friends FS1E 40 years ago - I went straight off the back! Give it a few more tries - you will soon be wondering what the problem was (and starting to try a few challenges).

• Like 1

Hi Steve, dont be put off , the learning curve on a rials bike is infinite. I'm into my 4th year now, started on gas gas 250 2007 , Great little bike . Slow throttle just means you need a bigger twist to make more happen. Plenty of people keep riding with the slow throttle as it makes for slow trickling through a section easier. It might benefit you riding with someone else who can help you set your bike up, bar position, levers etc it might stop you learning some bad habits. get yourself along to a few trials local to you watch and chat to other newbeeis, you really can learn a lot from watching and in my experience pretty much everybody riding will give you helpfull advice. 

Perfectly normal. I used to ride twin shocks back in the day at a very high level. So cock of the north and all that. The old metal lumps had to be bashed and bullied through sections, and it was more a case of staying on like a rodeo rider when they got knocked off line, and EVERYTHING knocked them off line. Tried a modern bike after a small 20 year gap, the damn thing ripped my arms off. They don't get knocked of course, you point, they stick, they pull, you do far less work than the bike, or compared to black and white days, and you hang on as it climbs a cliff. It shocked me. Their capability made me very, very wary after assuming I'd be like Toni Bou and certainly took me down a peg or 500. Long story short, stuck with it for the first day, and by the end of it, I was doing much harder stuff that I'd ever managed in the 15 years I rode, including Nationals. That was mainly the bike, not me. Stick at it and remember, the bike is only as vicious as your right hand. It's a big dumb thing until you twist the throttle, that's where you'll learn to tame the bugger no matter what type of throttle you have on it. It's never the bike.

• Like 1

Guys I really appreciate all these comments ... Now I've reflected I can't wait to get back on the bike and I'm going out with 2 friends who both have ridden for some time. 

I've read lots about bike set up and I did feel comfortable when I was doing figure 8s etc.

Il report back after my next outing.  ?

• Like 1