240/240pro Differences

mcerem

• 3 years later...

Did they change much over time, was there a forward kickstart and back kick type. I don't know a great deal about Fantics, I have been offered a 240 pro, not seen it yet, it needs work but is a runner. I do know they reckon they are the best out of the crate twinshock there is though ?? Having said that people are still tweeking footpegs, steering angles etc. Also top yokes I see. Thanks . :D

PS. I have just realised this thread is 3 years old.

Edited by bo drinker

gulp thethreads older than walking talking youngest kid!

240 is the best twinshock i've ridden. mods on mine are typical i think.

yokes are 200 ( handlebar is now mounted much closer to the centre of the yoke rather than overhanging the back of the yoke)

big 240 seat swapped inc. sidepanels for an alloy sheet tastefully painted red ( the seat is very high and by slinging the thing and plastic side panels seat hieght is 2 inches less and weight is down overall by nearly a kilo.)

clutch operating arm extended by approx 20mm ( improves leverage, stil aint no hydraulic clutch but is an improvement)

new forward kicker from billet of stainless ( the old pivot is cast iron and cracks ( had cracked) and the new is indestructable.)

oko carb replacing original. original was good enough to win the class first time out , however the new OKO has made the bike smooth and tractable it s a genuine quaility improvement

now i'm just riding the thing. had all day ( well most of the afternoon) on it today, and will do same agin tomorrow. it rides well pulls from low down 1st gear is virtually redundant everything begs to be ridden in 2nd or higher.. cant fault it.

Were they all forward kickstart ? Totalshell any chance of posting a pic of your bike with seat and panel mods etc> Thanks. :D

Yep - all 240's were forward kickstart.

Best bike I ever had - I want one again one day - hopefully their prices won't explode like the Bultaco's. Some of them I've seen in the past seemed quite reasonable, just didn't have the cash handy. If I could find one for around 600 quid that needed a bit of tidying I'd be tempted.

I have a 125 twinshock that has a back kick type starter must be the only model with back kick ? It also says on the plate "special" model but it i'm sure it's like a "pro" not really that special :D

Edited by EdHolland

Hi Ed, fantic used engines made by minarelli up until the 240. These engines were used in chopper, enduro bikes and trials bikes. They all kicked backwards. In 1982, fantic launched its own engines and from then on, except for 50s and 80s, all Fantics kicked forwards

All your parts will be posted to me next week

lee

ah photographs.. there in lies a problem..

photographic evidence of a bike that officially doesnt exist is difficult.

My wife would be happy to swear i only have two bikes and niether are red. she didnt raise an eyebrow though when the said alloy seat/panels were being painted in the utilities room.

on a similar vien how do i convince her that the shiny beta with 2006 plastics is really the old tatty 2003 beta that i've always had.

any way back to alloy panels. i 'd seen a lad at our local club with an alloy seat and sidepanels one piece with a rubber seat pad. this was let down i thought by the 'tail' of the tank been bolted down with a hole drilled through the tail and frame below. it is neat but not clean.

i've knocked up up proto type panel/seat one piece that ends in a hump over the tank tail and looks quite good, without a pad its hard and slippery ( its amazing how much you sit on a bike you think you stand up on) so a pad is essential. the first proto was really to get the size and shape of the piece sorted so that the next one doesnt take me the best part of a week to cut out snipping a bit here and filing a bit there. i've also got to experiment with drilling some holes for letting out the heat from the exhaust and getting air into the airfilter.

it'll have to take a back burner for a couple of weeks though as the joy of the fantic is that the brake and gears are the same as the beta so the cub loses out and goes to the back of the garage whilst the 2t get promoted.

had 3 hrs on fantic today on the moors in the snow, bike ran spot on for an hour or more then started to not return to idle especially after downhills (even with the clutch in!!) backing off the tickover worked for a while only for the problem to reappear and then it came and went at its will.. answers on a postcard...

ps kicker came via mr wright and its a luverly piece of work.

Edited by totalshell