UK road registration

Hello All - New to the forum. Getting back into trials after a long break. Just about to start a full rebuild of a 1976 Montesa Cota 246 with my 11 year daughter in the hope of dragging her off social media for at least an hour a night! Ideally I would like to road register the bike in the UK. The frame and engine numbers match. I am familiar with how to obtain a v5. Its the Montesa bit that concerns me. I am guessing obtaining paperwork for a 1970s bike will be a challenge. Any guidance would be appreciated.

Best wishes

Moray

Edited by Moray Kidd
corrections

Do a trade HPI check from the vin plate. Not a cheap or free internet check, Use a local dealer.  If it was registered it will show registration then it's just £25 for a new V5C.   If not then you need to use someone like the VMCC to get a dating letter and HMRC at Dover for a NOVA number.   Rest is the same as registering any used vehicle..  https://www.vmcc.net/Library-and-DVLA-Forms

52 minutes ago, gasserguy said:

Do a trade HPI check from the vin plate. Not a cheap or free internet check, Use a local dealer.  If it was registered it will show registration then it's just £25 for a new V5C.   If not then you need to use someone like the VMCC to get a dating letter and HMRC at Dover for a NOVA number.   Rest is the same as registering any used vehicle..  https://www.vmcc.net/Library-and-DVLA-Forms

I think the main challenge is finding the chassis number. The frame and engine number is only 8 digits. I’m guessing when imported if it has been registered it will have been allocated a unique VIN. I don’t have this ?

3 hours ago, gasserguy said:

Do a trade HPI check from the vin plate.

Not a cheap or free internet check, Use a local dealer. 

If it was registered it will show registration then it's just £25 for a new V5C.   

If not then you need to use someone like the VMCC to get a dating letter and HMRC at Dover for a NOVA number.   

Rest is the same as registering any used vehicle..  https://www.vmcc.net/Library-and-DVLA-Forms

I did that and came back with nothing, so had to go through the whole rigmarole

Paid a chap, approved by DVLA and VMCC £90 to do all the paperwork, NOVA etc (that was the easy bit !!!!!)

MOT and insure on VIN number

Then all I had to do, was to sign the form, include a copy of my Address and ID Proofs, include a cheque for £99

First Reg came back wrong year and no model type

So sent it all back and issued correct reg number, but no model type

In the end I had 2 reg numbers for same bike, with 3 V5c's...............DVLA grrrr

9 hours ago, Moray Kidd said:

I think the main challenge is finding the chassis number. The frame and engine number is only 8 digits. I’m guessing when imported if it has been registered it will have been allocated a unique VIN. I don’t have this ?

VIN numbers, as we now know them, did not come in until 1981. Yours would have been registered on the frame number, but I don't think the computerised records go back to 1976.

Edited by 2stroke4stroke