125cc

Robert n

Iv been thinking lately iv always bought the most poweful trails on offer which i can ride quite happily  but  if i dropped to a 125cc would my skills for flicking it about and tricks  improve or is there no difference really for that stuff i am 15 and a half stone anyone tried it 

I would have thought no matter what engine you have in the bike the hopping and flicking etc would depend on the rider and chassis more than the engine.

Perhaps something lighter than a 4RT, for example weighs around 7KG more than a Beta Evo 300

Edited by rcgods
  • Like 1

They definitely "feel" lighter despite not being that much lighter on the scales.As a result they are easier flicked around. However i for one would not be prepared to sacrifice my bigger engine for increase hop ability. Slow speed tricks i guess, but there are still some tricks (anything involving back wheel hops) that can be harder work with the lack of low end torque in a 125. At 15st this would only be more problematic

Edited by faussy
  • Like 2

I am around 14.5 stone and have played around a lot on my daughters Gas Gas 125 and would say that for me I wouldn't prefer anything under a 250 for my personal bike.  Thought it can be fun to ride her 125 and I can sure rev it out and do most of what I am able to do on my Montesa it sure isn't as fun to ride on bigger hills and its a bit of an adjustment every time I ride it. 

• Like 1

Agree with all the posts.

Interesting i think it is more to do with technique and basic strength than power at basic level although clearly power helps for more advanced tricks.

My son could flick his mountain bike about for many years at will, but could not flick his Beta 80 or Gas Gas 125 or my Sherco 250 as he lacked strength.

After not practising trials for about 18 months, he could on trying a 4RT a few weeks ago, flick it about surprisingly easy as he is stronger. 

A modern 250 may suit you better. Take your pick Beta, Gas Gas, Sherco, Vertigo etc they are all good and light,  nothing wrong with the bike you have albeit a bit heavier and harder.

Edited by Electric Motion Rider
typo
  • Like 2

21 minutes ago, 2stroke4stroke said:

It's all to do with the rider - I know someone who can do all the tricks on a 1960's framed Triumph twin.

When you have the technique it transfers, learning the tricks on a triumph twin might be challenging ...

• Like 1