2x2 SWM TL320

dozerash

This all wheel drive SWM was built in 1981! It was a Prototype, they competed with it once and the FIM banned all wheel drive bikes. If anyone else knows anymore about this Prototype or have more pictures, please post them! 

DC3E0DC5-6034-462B-B115-09A488B22E9E.jpeg

4BA708D0-56DD-4BC3-A87F-615EEBFDE371.jpeg

F3FB3F8E-514F-42D6-BFEB-F6C31212250F.jpeg

• Like 2

5 hours ago, dozerash said:

Here are a couple more pictures I found:

E2AF431B-D9E3-4D23-8FFB-AB5B5B1C8566.jpeg

C3878434-F579-494D-997C-E335353DE351.jpeg

75B74B20-DFB1-45BB-BE3C-C8F30DFCA6BC.jpeg

I can clearly see You captured my picture stack on Google Photos! 

Next time please ask in forehand.

That is one of two bikes fitted with the front wheel drive. They are made in Germany and where used in our nationals in 1981/82 until the front wheel drive was forbidden! 

The drive has a slip clutch so if you loose traction at the rear wheel the front wheel drive will engage to keep wear low.

Thus the big clutch like mechanism at the first chain and sprocket. The second was made for a guy in France.

The momentum of the drive will give some momentum to the steering too when it engaged and transmitting force which you have to be adjusted and aware too.

The drive was expensive around 3/4 of a complete bike. Helmut Tomaschel was the engineer behind the drive the other Helmut Körber was the driver.

The long guy riding the bike is Krahnstöver testing the two wheel drive, Krahnstöver was an 11 times German trials champion and started our German Trialsport Magazin too. 

3 hours ago, pschrauber said:

I can clearly see You captured my picture stack on Google Photos! 

Next time please ask in forehand.

That is one of two bikes fitted with the front wheel drive. They are made in Germany and where used in our nationals in 1981/82 until the front wheel drive was forbidden! 

The drive has a slip clutch so if you loose traction at the rear wheel the front wheel drive will engage to keep wear low.

Thus the big clutch like mechanism at the first chain and sprocket. The second was made for a guy in France.

The momentum of the drive will give some momentum to the steering too when it engaged and transmitting force which you have to be adjusted and aware too.

The drive was expensive around 3/4 of a complete bike. Helmut Tomaschel was the engineer behind the drive the other Helmut Körber was the driver.

The long guy riding the bike is Krahnstöver testing the two wheel drive, Krahnstöver was an 11 times German trials champion and started our German Trialsport Magazin too. 

Pschrauber, sorry for not asking permission on posting the AWD SWM photos. If I knew they were yours I would have asked. 
Thanks for all the info on the bike, I find it very interesting that they built something like that back then. Would like to know how well it worked. 

It worked very well, but as mentioned the front wheel drive did only engage when you got slip at the rear end.

All in all it was an advantage especially on slippery ground in wet and muddy or grounds with deep sand.

The 2 wheel drive was later (in the next season already) forbidden in trials competition. 

I remember the Yamaha hydraulic drive AWD, I think KTM had a version too, didn’t Ohlins build that system? The Rokon moto tractor has a driveshaft through the frame with a slip clutch to a jackshaft to a chain driving the front wheel. Christini AWD also has a driveshaft and slip clutch with gears and chains to telescoping shafts that drive the front wheel. Looks like the SWM had a flex shaft that transferred power to the front wheel.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/5/2020 at 2:32 AM, dozerash said:

Pschrauber, sorry for not asking permission on posting the AWD SWM photos. If I knew they were yours I would have asked. 
Thanks for all the info on the bike, I find it very interesting that they built something like that back then. Would like to know how well it worked. 

If you’re going to get delicate about your photos then don’t post them on the internet

11 minutes ago, DD250 said:

Not at all

pschrauber is an extremely knowledgeable and helpful guy who has gone out of his way to help fellow trials enthusiasts,  why not just give a bit of credit where due ?

3 minutes ago, b40rt said:

pschrauber is an extremely knowledgeable and helpful guy who has gone out of his way to help fellow trials enthusiasts,  why not just give a bit of credit where due ?

On that we totally agree