Jump to content

Yamagodden

Rear shocks rates

Recommended Posts

Hi all , it seems there are lots of different  rear shocks out there,  some rated at soft and super soft   action ect and  i am 95 kg so need stronger spring  rate to go on the shocks . I would have said you needed stiffer shocks for stronger springs , what do you find works best??

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

I’ve got NJB ultimate on BSA C15 and Fantic 240. Personally I find they work very well and I’m 90kg, Now I’m trying to remember if they were soft or super soft, I just rang and gave them the bike and my weight so they could build them. Reasonable price too plus adjustable length. Had a pair of Falcon shocks and likewise rang the company and gave them bike and my weight. They were super soft and were fine on C15

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

Depends on bike set up a lot.I am 207 lbs and my ty has the shocks laid down a bit like a majesty  which means it needs a stronger spring.Falcon set mine up with 70 lb springs. Sounds stiff but works fantastic.If my shock mounts were not modified they would have used 50,s or 60,s.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

I'm the same weight as you and on my TY250 I've got standard damping Falcon trial classics with 50 lb springs and they are perfect for me. I don't hop the rear but if that is your intention then you would be better off with the superlight damping version.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

Thank you all for that ,  I can now make a decision  on what  is required,   will get some orderd  and start removing this monoshock  , sam brownlee informs me  they used a kwac AR50 shock when they converted  it..hopefully  will get her back to twinshock asap  and working as it should

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
On 6/11/2020 at 1:22 AM, feetupfun said:

I'm the same weight as you and on my TY250 I've got standard damping Falcon trial classics with 50 lb springs and they are perfect for me. I don't hop the rear but if that is your intention then you would be better off with the superlight damping version.

If my shock location was stock it was 50 or 60 lbs but when I told them I did the mod they changed it.I had them do the soft damping as the bike is mainly used for trials in intermediate lines.Been riding it over a year and shocks work nice.I save the bouncing for my TRS.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
On 6/10/2020 at 11:02 PM, timdog said:

I’ve got NJB ultimate on BSA C15 and Fantic 240. Personally I find they work very well and I’m 90kg, Now I’m trying to remember if they were soft or super soft, I just rang and gave them the bike and my weight so they could build them. Reasonable price too plus adjustable length. Had a pair of Falcon shocks and likewise rang the company and gave them bike and my weight. They were super soft and were fine on C15

There is so much smoke and mirrors with shocks and so much made of so little... Spending buying the best or most expensive won't bet you on the podium.. I recently did well on my old ty 434 with the original knackeered old shocks that came with the bike when it left the factory in 1974.  As mentioned the middle price range are plenty good enough for most riders.. and Norman at Njb had been doing shocks since the war... well almost.. he knows his stuff and you could do worse than giving him a bell.. if not OKO's Betors all do the job or if you want to go up a level Magical Falcons or rockshocks.. but it wont make you a better rider.. Hope this helps.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
1 hour ago, metisse said:

There is so much smoke and mirrors with shocks and so much made of so little... Spending buying the best or most expensive won't bet you on the podium.. I recently did well on my old ty 434 with the original knackeered old shocks that came with the bike when it left the factory in 1974.  As mentioned the middle price range are plenty good enough for most riders.. and Norman at Njb had been doing shocks since the war... well almost.. he knows his stuff and you could do worse than giving him a bell.. if not OKO's Betors all do the job or if you want to go up a level Magical Falcons or rockshocks.. but it wont make you a better rider.. Hope this helps.

 

Beauty of rockshocks is spare parts if you damage them, easily serviceable, variety of spring rates if swapping to another bike and you can change the length if required.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

I would use shocks that can be fitted with the right springs upon your weight in combination with the weight of the bike.

That is most importand, if you have the right static and dynamic sag most rear shocks will perform right, everything else is less important
and less costly in set up. In my experience to find the right spring is the clue. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

I have located a set of girling units as fitted originally but these  will be saved  for now,  I have had contact with norman  who will sort me out a set   as required,  with correct spring rates ect.. I am not a trials ace, I could buy  more expensive but it's more about period  bits  !

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

If you ask Norman he will paint them in Girling colours.. also Propol in Belgium has made a business refurbing old shocks to something like new. He specialises in Girlings and old knackered ones on French and Belgium for sale  sites are being snapped up to be rejuvenised.  His range off shocks are good and good value.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...