Can I Convert My Land For Trials Practice?

scorpa3

I've got a couple of fields which haven't made any money for years, I was thinking about digging a few holes etc to use it for a bit of trials practice.

The smaller field is 6 acres in size, it is fairly flat with no trees or natural hazards, so I would have to change the appearance of the land. (If it was any flatter, it would be a football pitch, if you get my drift.)

Has anyone any experience with doing this sort of thing?

I would appreciate any thoughts on the matter. ie planning problems, insurance, compensation concerns etc.

Basically, is it worth the effort?

Pete,

Digging holes, making mounds, etc could be construed as development and could bring the planners down on you, let alone possible grief from noise complaints and so on. Rent the land out for horsiculture, put your bike on the trailer and use the rent you receive to pay the farmer near Broadway (that you mentioned recently)

The photo shows a number of houses in the vicinity. I read of someone up this way who wanted to open a quad track on his property. The neighbours put a stop to it before it even got off the ground.

I appreciate all the comments on this, I'm afraid it is pretty much as I was expecting.

Some of the land is still profitable, however the field shown in the photo doesn't make the cost of a decent round of drinks each year. The cost of fencing it for horses would take 5 years to break-even.

It's just so frustrating that it can't be made into a practice area. The machinery is no problem..... it's all the red tape.

How do the MX tracks get around this?

Sell it for a pony paddock....people are paying stupid money for these. Then use the money to buy a piece of woodland away from any houses, which dont sell for much. With the money left over you can buy yourself a new bike or 3!!!

Regards

Martin

PS....anyone living in the nearby houses got a horse? if so there's your buyer!

Edited by MartinM

Sell it for a pony paddock....people are paying stupid money for these. Then use the money to buy a piece of woodland away from any houses, which dont sell for much. With the money left over you can buy yourself a new bike or 3!!!

Regards

Martin

PS....anyone living in the nearby houses got a horse? if so there's your buyer!

Ohh how I wish it was that easy.

I'm afraid your idea sounds perfect, there's just one problem. Pony paddocks around the Cotswolds are two-a-penny, where as wooded banks for sale are very rare.

Unless you are interested in buying a field yourself? I have more of these if you need a choice. Come and make me an offer I can't refuse.

I'll take a wooded bank in part ex or maybe do a swap. Hell... I'll even put some cash on top for the right deal!

Probably easiest to plant some mature trees at the top of the bank, dig some "features" at the bottom and also put some mature trees in to add to the feel. Also plant trees on the rest of the land. You'll have a smallish area to start with that should grow in time.

the previous post probably echos my own thoughts, plant trees.. lots

Christmas trees are ideal, mature relatively quickly to a 'cash crop' fantastic at reducing noise. amongst the trees create artifical sections (just like horse paddocks have artifical jumps) from logs, trees, rocks (concrete waste).

result a small income and area to practice