Trials Promo Material

kevin j

Trying to put together some trials promo material (after talking about it for two seasons).

Intent: exposure at a motorcycle show where Tommy A has done his demos. I want to address two common crowd comments:

1. That's neat but I could never do that. Focus will be on youth, beginner, and club level stuff to show what the sport is for the average human.

2. Thats neat, do they do that around here? Promo for the local club, schedules, contacts, etc.

My intent is a short 10-20minute endless loop video, a couple permanent poster boards, and some single page handout/takeaway material.

I took simple home video of Youth-beginner Nov club events. That can be edited by people skilled in that task.

I am looking for digital still pics of similar: old vintage stuff from 50's, 60's 70's and modern. Youth, novice, advance, champ etc.

Needs to be stuff that is not copyrighted (read 'free').

Also looking for ideas and what others have done. I have copy of Ringo's bulletin and that is very much along the lines of what I was thinking.

I am looking for help, input and expertise to make this work. Ideas, things to avoid, etc.

If it does fly, it will be available to anyone else who wants to promote the sport.l

No official capacity or commercial endeavor, I just want to give back to the sport.

kcj

You supply the photos (or feel free to use any of mine from the galleries- just tell me which), give me a bit of music and I'll do you a looping Flash vid for a PC or laptop (like my SSDT one and soon to be released Scott Trial one)

I think that is a wonderful idea. I am new (1 year) to the sport of trials. I have been riding MX for many years I am 35 years old and tired of getting busted up all the time. I went to a world round at Goldendale WA several years ago and remembered how cool I thought it was. Not really having the slightest idea of where to get info and bikes parts... I chose to hunt out the info. I found out that there was a club in my town (spokane). It seems to be more of a underground sport at all levels of the sport (in the US). Just in the short time I have been riding trials I have gotten 2 friends to get trials bikes (both from MX ) and a couple more want to get bikes this season. Many middle aged men and women are getting back on bikes after several years away from the sport. I think that would be a great target audience for people wanting a bit safer alternative to more dangerous types of off roading. I think there are so many people out there don't even realize how easy of a sport it is to get into. And how much fun you can have with nothing more than a couple railroad ties and some rocks. I do however, enjoy the fact that it is kind of a grassroots sport instead of just the cool thing to do since you already have the "FOX" hat and want to copy Metzger. Not trying to ruffle feathers with the MX Freestyle group, I am still very into both. I still feel like I would much rather promote the sport to anyone who has the slightest intrest, Than keep it so exclusive. I cant imagine anyone who likes bikes to not have a great intrest in trials if they could just spend a half hour on one. JK

• 2 weeks later...

out of town for a bit for work in Montana. -20F was not condusive to thinking about trials.

Andy: tks. Probably self evident to everyone but me, but I was thinking video tape, oblivious to the march of technology. (but I am still riding a Yamaha. . . .) I have a friend who does my computer help and works with digital video and can do some editing. We will try to use mostly the local video, but some stills also. Is anything on the site fair game to use? Also, I'd like to ref the TC website for further info.

SETRA: awesome pic on the big ledge that I'd like to use. Haven't had enough time to review all the club pics. Are all of your pics OK to use?

Dave W: sounds like yours will be just what I need, I wish it was done. I can only view a few seconds of your sample.

Anyone else: I would like to include some video or stills of old (50's, 60's) bikes and world level stuff (deep mud banks, logs, etc). Any ideas of sources?

tks all, kcj

Kevin;

The S.T.R.A. pictures are alright for you to use (you typed SETRA, so I'm thinking thats ours) for your project.

I would be intersted to see the finished product. Some of our members have been talking about making a video of "everyman's trials riding", as opposed to the Balancing Act type of riding. Our idea is to have the On Any Sunday type video to show landowners that are considering the use of their property for competition.

Also, to promote our club trial last month here, my son took a Sherco 290, and a Sherco 50 to the local Suzuki dealer for a static display a couple weeks before the meet one Saturday. Turns out the trials machines generated so much interest, the owner insisted we leave 'em there through the next week. This was the week before Christmas, and he said his shop always has the best sales, and most people through the doors than any other time of year. We had a television set up next to the bikes, and trials tapes going continuously. We had a poster ther too, with details on the location of the meet, and contact information. We got dozens of calls fron civilians about the trials competition, and it boosted our attendance immeasurably.

I only wish we would have had a video to show those people at that shop of club level riders as well, and also some youth trial footage. I wonder if the extreme riding they saw on the screen might have had them thinking we all ride that way :D , and that they could "never do that". Who really knows. At least alot of people got their first close look at modern trials bikes. David, the shop owner, said the most popular question was, of course, "where's the SEAT!"

AB: I'd love it. I sent my address offline.

Jeff: exactly. (don't we all ride like that? It looks so simple on screen)

As I had in my original post, the comments I heard over & over fell into two categories: do they do that around here, and I'd like to but I could never do that. All the pro videos are world round pics or extreme riding. We are trying to show the pits, parking lot, old cars with small trailers, youth riding TY80 and XR70 as well as modern, Novice on old & new stuff, and some more advanced riders.

The whole point is to get people hooked by seeing what they would start off doing themselves or their kid riding.

It might not be very polished because of a time and money crunch. May redo it by taping alot more next season. However, anything I end up with will be avaialble for anyone else to use at cost of duplication.

kcj

• 2 weeks later...