349 rebuild......slowly!

fox889

6 hours ago, barnesy said:

It's looking good! 

Especially the tank can I ask did you paint that yourself? got a new tank cover to paint for my 348 and I'm after tips 

yep, painted it myself. I’m no painter but it came out pretty good considering the state it was in.

long story short, rub down tank-high build primer x 3 coats-wet sand 1200 grit-white primer x 3 coats (unless your high build was white anyway, mine was grey)-stopper putty if you’ve got any pin holes or imperfections-as many coats of gloss white (or whatever colour you’re using) as you can (I used Autotek gloss white large tin 1k)-wet sand 2000 grit-medium compound-light compound-final polish.

as I said, I’m no painter but have done several bike tanks with half decent results, so if you need a heads up, just ping a message over & I’ll do my best to answer it.

6 hours ago, barnesy said:

I bought mine new, way back when, and it looked awesome, yours is heading that way :)

The front forks on mine were red with black hubs and gold rims.

The foot pegs were horrendous and made of butter. Oem was definitely not best !

The forks were chrome, badly pitted, but definite signs of chrome. The frame pre-powder coat had signs of chrome, possibly someone years ago decided to chrome the frame? I had already painted the forks silver (to match what was there) having looked through dozens of 349 WW photos, think I need to paint these red now. 
Thanks for your input.

nick.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, barnesy said:

Thanks for the info on painting, if I get a finish like yours I'll be very happy!

And keep the pictures on the restoration coming...

I thought I’d been a clever clogs & used the greenhouse as a make shift spray booth, all glass, nice & warm, no dust. Paint job still ended up with dust particles on it & a couple of orange peel areas. If you get the same, don’t worry, 2000 grit then 3000 grit with plenty of soapy water & all the dust marks disappeared. Don’t forget, that even with 4 or 5 coats of paint, paint from a rattle can is very very thin so too much wet sanding can go through the paint. 😳

What did you use to stop petrol attacking the finished result ?

I used rattle can lacquer from Halfords and it did not resist a minor spillage, very disappointing. You would think that paint from a car accessory business would be paint resistant.

1 minute ago, collyolly said:

What did you use to stop petrol attacking the finished result ?

I used rattle can lacquer from Halfords and it did not resist a minor spillage, very disappointing. You would think that paint from a car accessory business would be paint resistant.

Mmmm haven’t got that far just yet! Mine is purely a ‘tank cover’ I have an alloy tank that sits beneath the tank cover. I would hope that any spillage would not affect the paint......you’ve got me worried now!😳

When I did mine, I used a rattle can for the primer/filler build up, then rattle can brilliant white. Flatted it back to matt (500 and 1200 grit), applied decals (last original set from Vallmoto), then had an aquaintance with a body shop apply 2k clear coat in his painting booth.

That was petrol proof.

Finished 05.JPG

Finished 11.JPG

Edited by dr nosh
Added Pictures

2 hours ago, dr nosh said:

When I did mine, I used a rattle can for the primer/filler build up, then rattle can brilliant white. Flatted it back to matt (500 and 1200 grit), applied decals (last original set from Vallmoto), then had an aquaintance with a body shop apply 2k clear coat in his painting booth.

That was petrol proof.

Finished 05.JPG

Finished 11.JPG

Very nice!