Repair 2014 Beta Evo 2T Air Box Damage?

bigbird2

I have a hole in  the right side of my airbox that needs to be  fixed/sealed to prevent unfiltered air from getting into the intake.

Can anyone tell me what the air box is made of  and/or what would be a good product/material to adhere to it for a long term fix.

THANKS!

I don’t know the material but my guess would be some kind of high density polyethelene. Did the box take an impact and break or just wear through? How big is the hole? Is it a flat surface or a shaped part? Pics would help. You could fiberglass it or buy sheet plastic from a place like ePlastics and JBWeld and rivet into place. 

Thanks for the responses folks.  It is a small (~1/4") hole from impact on the left side above the rear master cylinder.  I am actually doing a mod to the brake system to install a LHRB to go with my EFM Auto-Clutch so I have now decided to heat and flex bend the air box to allow a brake hose to go to the 2nd (LHRB) part of the Master Cylinder.  

I have tired to bond to plastic gas tanks in the past for mods and fixes and it is NOT easy an nearly nothing sticks to the "plastic".  Any ideas appreciated!  THANKS!

Agree it's most likely HDPE, which can be fairly easily heat welded. A hot air gun is best, but you want a very small jet which most household guns can't provide without overheating. If looks aren't a serious consideration an old soldering iron will do the job (after plastic welding the tip will be nigh on useless for soldering). If you take your time you can usually get a moderately good finish - a little bit of judicious sanding can clean it up further, although it's not going to look "factory".

Just gradually work some plastic in from the surrounding area until the hole closes. If you can trim a bit of excess plastic from elsewhere on the box it can be used as a bit of filler. Can help to have something as a backing while welding.