Ssdt Means One Trashed Bike?

gasgas

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello Mate,

No joy yet, phoned a guy today and was going to go down tomorrow but he sold it today to a local lad. Seen another one though, so the search goes on ;)

If not then it's time to cash in the ISA and get a new un, don't tell the missus though :D

Needless to say, when I do get one I'll be pestering you for all your trick bits info again! :blink:

Back on topic, I've done and finished 4 SSDT's and used 2 Mont's to do so, like previous posts it depends 90% on the rider.Good preparation,good maintenance and a bit of mechanical sympathy go a long way up there.

Having said all that if it was a choice between 2 identical bikes and only one had done the Scottish then I'd take the one that hadn't one all day long, but you have to judge each bike on it's own merits obviously.

Having said all that if it was a choice between 2 identical bikes and only one had done the Scottish then I'd take the one that hadn't one all day long

Aaah some honesty at last ;)

But, to come back to the several ssdt bikes.

They did open up the engine, didn't they, before they rode an other ssdt?

But, to come back to the several ssdt bikes.

They did open up the engine, didn't they, before they rode an other ssdt?

Depend on the bike!

Everyone is quoting Duncans TYZ, supposedly he has NOT done much engine work to the bike, I have a vague memory that he recently (in the last couple of years) admitted to changing the rings!

Why meddle with something which runs properly?

Lets just say he must be doing something right!

Wonder how well a Gas Gas/Sherco or Beta would have survived? Then again I doubt if they would!

ok its not in the class of Duncans Z but i did 3 ssdt's on a 2000 Sherco (Bultaco) 250 - the bike had 3 new plugs (one for each ssdt) never had the head off it and only required a waterpump seal in the 4 years i had it - its still going strong in the highlands.

its how you look after them that counts. - change the oil often - during the ssdt change it on wednesday when you come in - its nice and hot and takes 5 mins to do. - look after your spokes, and most important keep your radiator clean. Use the choke on the road and dont thrash it - if you know what you are doing (and where you are going :blink: ) you can make up all the time you need on the rough.

Whilst you might take the advice of people on these forums with a pinch of salt, if overthehill posts advice on the SSDT then, trust me, heed his words and heed them well. Few know the event better than him.

Right................My two pennath

Depends much on the ability of the rider and it does help if you have ridden it a couple of times to judge how long the moor crossings are, how fast to go on the road and most importantly how to prepare your bike.

Preparing your bike for the Scottish is not a 2 hour job in the garage, beleive me you need to check, check and double check everything. Some importers produce quite a comprehensive guide and this will help the bike to run all week.

Having a bike problem in the SSDT is like a domino effect, you loose time by fixing the problem then you race across the moors throwing the bike away occassionally causing more damage. get off the moors radiater clogged, but you think you need to race to get in on time, maybe nip it up etc. etc. so bike prep is really important

I have never used choke on the modern bikes used to on the twin shocks, but not recentlly. I take it easy on the road about 45mph, a modern bike with small radiater is not built for 20+ miles on the road singing its head off, yes the choke might lubricate the cylinder lining more, but it won't stop it boiling. BOILING BIKE is a SIEZED BIKE.

As OTH said make the time up on the rough pace youself it ain't an enduro

All my bikes run the best after the SSDT, yes the engine has done 500+ miles, but that is far better than a bike that has pottered around at club trials.

As for the appearence, might be a few rock scrapes, might need new plastics, but that's it, give her a oil change and she would do another six days.....don't know about the rider though :blink:

Anyone know how many times he has ridden the bike in the event ?

Big John another Scottish question for you? Bet he comes up with an answer aswell..Smart A**e :blink::P

Riding next to Walter this year, as I speak the old German Lingo fluently will have a chat..................His English is pretty good also ;)

Steve Moore took a 330 Gas Gas round for about 7 years, I know it is the only trial he does but, from memory apart from cycle parts he did nowt to it. His Beta will be on its 3rd SSDT this year, unless he has got a new one...doubt it!!!!!!!

All you guys proof me wrong :blink: Great examples/stories you give me.

So it is all up to the rider then. Every bike can be trashed if you won't have a feeling for her. I very much agree on that. It is unbelievable how certain people have absolutely no feeling for a bike, how she sounds etc. When i start up my bike i almost immediately hear if anything is wrong. I then monitor her carefully and when in doubt i start wrenching :P

Sometimes it is just carppy fuel, sometimes it needs airscrew adjustment, but one time it was a bigend corroding.

I wish all you guys a healthy engine/bike during yr ssdt for this year.

Hopefully one day i can join a ssdt myself.

I understand i need some more years trial riding under belt, but i intend working on that.