Riding with arthritic thumbs?

mcman56

I have arthritis in both thumbs.  The trapezium bone has been removed in one hand and pending in the other.  Some knuckles are not in great shape either.  Both hands and wrists are getting quite sore from riding and stay that way afterward.  I would think modern suspension would be better but my Beta 4t is harder on my hands than my TY175.  On the beta I'm constantly on the clutch and front brake plus ride bigger obstacles.  (I did put thinner oil in the forks.)  On the TY I'm mostly on throttle only and suspect the skinny forks flex around to help cushion things.  I do try to minimize hand pressure when riding.   I have thought of an electric bike because you don't need to use the clutch but I'm not sure if the clutch is really part of the problem.  

Has anyone found any tricks, accessories or mods to make trials easier on their hands?  Are some bikes easier on hands?  This question is from the perspective of being able to ride not from the perspective of being able to ride well.   

I suffer from pressure on my ulna nerve when I ride. It results in a painful palm on the outside of the hand near the little finger and radiates down to the wrist. Basically my grip is squeezing my nerve when I ride. Trials gloves are very thin and unforgiving. I've found the only things that help are soft grips, padded gloves and not riding too frequently. I limit it to 1 trial or ride a week. Physio definitely helps such as squeezing a tennis ball. Hopping definitely makes my hands worse too. I also take 400 mg of ibuprofen before I ride to dampen down any inflammation. In between sections I do hand exercises too. 

For a period of about two years a few years ago I had very severe reactive arthritis which is a normal and lingering after-effect of Ross River Virus. It mainly affected my fingers, wrists and elbows. It meant I couldn't hold on well. Through that period, I avoided any sort of heavy loading on the front end. To help with comfort in smaller stuff, I backed off the fork spring preload slightly and ran lighter fork oil and experimented with handlebar position all of which made the bikes easier to hold onto. All my trials bikes are twinshock era which I find are generally easier on the arms and hands than modern bikes. I also found that my heavier twinshocks were easier to hold onto and rode smoother than the lighter ones.

• Like 1

I have arthritis in both wrists & fingers, i used to wear a TLD wrist brace # 5205 & take an anti inflam before rides,i also have a Sherco & KTM that i do High Country rides & single track with.

I had tried just about every supplement recommended, i would give them about 10 weeks & then try another 1, i was just about to think this is life as i know it then i came across NZ Green Lipped Mussel capsules, i noticed an improvement after about 2 weeks, I've been taking them every morning after breakfast for about 18mths now & i NO longer wear a brace or take any pre ride tabs, i recommend them to everybody :)

I also have a few fresh pineapple pieces & juice with my breakfast, pineapple is also an anti inflam, i worked as sparkie so used my hands a lot which probably didn't help with my hand condition, i'm 70 in a few months & have to say, i'm looking @ trail riding twice a week & playing around on my Honda tlr 250 as often & as long as i can :) !

I also did some damage to my left knee playing Over40's Aussie rules, it used to give me some sort of pain most days, i would wear a hinged brace when i rode my bikes, i've also noticed very little pain & i don't wear the brace anymore :)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 2/15/2023 at 11:31 AM, feetupfun said:

For a period of about two years a few years ago I had very severe reactive arthritis which is a normal and lingering after-effect of Ross River Virus. It mainly affected my fingers, wrists and elbows. It meant I couldn't hold on well. Through that period, I avoided any sort of heavy loading on the front end. To help with comfort in smaller stuff, I backed off the fork spring preload slightly and ran lighter fork oil and experimented with handlebar position all of which made the bikes easier to hold onto. All my trials bikes are twinshock era which I find are generally easier on the arms and hands than modern bikes. I also found that my heavier twinshocks were easier to hold onto and rode smoother than the lighter ones.

Do you think the old damping rod forks may be easier on hands...up until the speed they spike.  See the graph 1/2 way down the page in this link comparing damping rods with cartridge forks.   

https://racetech.com/page/title/Emulators-How They Work

The damping rod curve certainly looks easier on hands to me.  I'll try riding my TL250 and see how that feels.    

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

My thumb knuckles have arthritis which has recently been aggravated by switching to a modern bike as well and read that high quality olive oil blocks some types of pain when massaged into effected areas. Seems worth a try. 

Mediterranean diet has helped me with my aches and pains, and I'm just kinda easing into it. Down 40 Lbs. Modern is easier on me, so I'm building a vintage to mimic a modern as much as possible. I don't run my bars as fashionably forward as some,but definitely not back into trail bike position. Experiment with lever position too. I like Devil's club salve too, works better for me than CBD .

I was able to reduce shock through the handlebars on my TY175 by using a fat bar and rubber mounts from a mid 2000 CRF250.  See picture.  I was already using risers to put the bars in that position so there was no ergonomic change.  At rest, I can flex the bars a bit but notice no negatives while riding.  Rox Risers sell something that looks similar.  I don't see a good way to squeeze these into a modern bike without a big change in bar position but have found it is quite easy to change the valving in a modern Beta's forks.  

https://ibb.co/GWLwwMB

Hi ,, I use liquid jell massage gel , called blue stop , it’s in groceries stores , located aspirin & cold flue ,, exc,,  I  have used  tiger balm ,  it’s more exp , both work fine  basically for joints and muscles , , just don’t put on face & eyes ,  cheers  

4 hours ago, larry s. k. said:

Hi ,, I use liquid jell massage gel , called blue stop , it’s in groceries stores , located aspirin & cold flue ,, exc,,  I  have used  tiger balm ,  it’s more exp , both work fine  basically for joints and muscles , , just don’t put on face & eyes ,  cheers  

Find bike does not fibrate so much ,, and a seat ,  15 minutes once while , , I live. On gravel road , ,  have p****d off neighbors , , from racing ,  so  I put on better muffler , , , I had old hondas , like 50 to 100 cc   There pretty smooth ,,  , I using a 100 cc hodaka , at this time ,  cheers 2