Throttle tube question....

CaptainBob

Although experienced in motorcycle racing/riding, I am brand new to trials.  I have a 2023 Gas Gas 300 TXT Racing.  As I ride the bike, I am sometimes feeling like I need more throttle on demand.  Perhaps, a larger ratio throttle tube.  Maybe something like a 1/4 turn.  Am I out of my mind or, is this something others have done to their bikes.  Is the stock throttle tube OK and i just need to learn to use it better or what?

Appreciate any and all comments.

I just checked the throttle tube.  It is a Domino throttle assembly.  It has a grey grip and the tube under the grip is white.  I guess I already have the faster action?  I guess I just need to man up and twist that throttle a bit more.  I will definitely try upping the gear when riding as well.

• Like 2

There is a "faster than fast" option available!

TRS sell a modified Domino white tube used on the GOLD TRS models that has a little ramp attached to it, that makes it turn faster than the white tube Fast Domino.

It is TRS part number 70129

• Like 2

👍 Make some noise is what we usually say, third gear really rocks.  If it was a Montesa you'd want to twist it even harder.

...? do you brake and clutch with only the index finger and do you have your levers fairly level of tilted way down.  Keeping the levers closer to level helps.

Edited by lemur
add

7 hours ago, CaptainBob said:

I just checked the throttle tube.  It is a Domino throttle assembly.  It has a grey grip and the tube under the grip is white.  I guess I already have the faster action?  I guess I just need to man up and twist that throttle a bit more.  I will definitely try upping the gear when riding as well.

Actually reading more of your posts, I think what you are looking for can be resolved by learning clutch control. You are expecting the bike to hit harder with the throttle. The secret is in learning to slip the clutch at just the right time and then dump it just after you get to almost full revs. 

You need to find other trials riders to ride with!

• Like 4

2 hours ago, lineaway said:

Actually reading more of your posts, I think what you are looking for can be resolved by learning clutch control. You are expecting the bike to hit harder with the throttle. The secret is in learning to slip the clutch at just the right time and then dump it just after you get to almost full revs. 

You need to find other trials riders to ride with!

I am sure you are right.  I hadn't thought about that.  I have been practicing clutch control but did not necessarily connect those dots.  Thank you.  I also need to explore higher gears a bit more as well.  I do appreciate everyone's comments and suggestions.  Thanks again!

• Like 1

On 7/18/2023 at 6:41 PM, CaptainBob said:

Although experienced in motorcycle racing/riding, I am brand new to trials.  I have a 2023 Gas Gas 300 TXT Racing.  As I ride the bike, I am sometimes feeling like I need more throttle on demand.  Perhaps, a larger ratio throttle tube.  Maybe something like a 1/4 turn.  Am I out of my mind or, is this something others have done to their bikes.  Is the stock throttle tube OK and i just need to learn to use it better or what?

Appreciate any and all comments.

I thought the same thing when I purchased my 2012 Gasser, my 02 Gasser did not need as much of a pull. I bought the fast tube, then noticed that it already had the fast (white) one! I got used to it, did not take long, although it feels much different than any of my other bikes.

As mentioned above a rev and dump or clutch slip can get you a lot of power really quickly.

• Like 2

Another +1 to the clutch vs throttle.
Think of throttle as "available power" and clutch as "applied  power".

It's no problem to have an overabundance of available power if you just don't apply it.
If you speed up the throttle you'll be in a world of trouble when traction is poor, unless your clutch finger is really, really good.
With the massive flywheel trials bikes have, the motor can only accelerate at relatively leisurely rate. Snap your throttle wide open and hold it for a couple of seconds and note how the motor just keeps winding up, then note how long it takes to wind back down again. Compare that response to any of your racing bikes - chalk and cheese. So you're never going to get faster acceleration than that even with a quicker throttle, and it's not really that snappy at all.
A 300 trials bike is anaemic on all out power compared to a 300 just-about-anything-else, but torque is available and pretty consistent from idle on up. They're a tractor compared to a sports car. Go and try and get exciting performance out of a tractor by twiddling the throttle, not going to happen! But ease out the clutch on that tractor with a serious load behind it and things can get exciting as it proceeds to rotate about the rear axle. Similar for a trials bike in some ways - they'll never accelerate off throttle like an enduro bike for instance, but feed out some clutch with some RPM on and something's going to start rotating - the wheel if it can, the bike if the wheel's hooked up. That can certainly get exciting!

Once you get the idea of using clutch to control power you'll start thinking every throttle is sluggish! Clutch response can go from zero to 100% in milliseconds, faster than you could even think about twisting a throttle.

Edited by bikerpet
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, bikerpet said:

Another +1 to the clutch vs throttle.
Think of throttle as "available power" and clutch as "applied  power".

It's no problem to have an overabundance of available power if you just don't apply it.
If you speed up the throttle you'll be in a world of trouble when traction is poor, unless your clutch finger is really, really good.
With the massive flywheel trials bikes have, the motor can only accelerate at relatively leisurely rate. Snap your throttle wide open and hold it for a couple of seconds and note how the motor just keeps winding up, then note how long it takes to wind back down again. Compare that response to any of your racing bikes - chalk and cheese. So you're never going to get faster acceleration than that even with a quicker throttle, and it's not really that snappy at all.
A 300 trials bike is anaemic on all out power compared to a 300 just-about-anything-else, but torque is available and pretty consistent from idle on up. They're a tractor compared to a sports car. Go and try and get exciting performance out of a tractor by twiddling the throttle, not going to happen! But ease out the clutch on that tractor with a serious load behind it and things can get exciting as it proceeds to rotate about the rear axle. Similar for a trials bike in some ways - they'll never accelerate off throttle like an enduro bike for instance, but feed out some clutch with some RPM on and something's going to start rotating - the wheel if it can, the bike if the wheel's hooked up. That can certainly get exciting!

Once you get the idea of using clutch to control power you'll start thinking every throttle is sluggish! Clutch response can go from zero to 100% in milliseconds, faster than you could even think about twisting a throttle.

Excellent explanation!