Throttle taming stop

bikerpet

Today I let a young fella take my Evo 300 for a ride. I thought I should probably try to tame it a little to help keep both bike & rider in one piece.

I knocked up a throttle stop for the Domino as I've done in the past. I haven't seen any details about this tactic despite lots of threads on taming 300's.
It's not going to smooth the bike out like a flywheel weight or low compression head, but at least it does put a bit of a cap on just how out of hand things can get. Certainly limits the impact of whiskey throttle.

Inside the Domino's there is a gap around the cable track that's big enough to fit a strip of plastic. That strip can be cut to any length to limit the throttle rotation to whatever you like.

I make mine out of a bit of 40mm PVC waste pipe. Cut off a ring that's a fraction narrower than the cable track section of the throttle tube. Cut that ring into a segment then use a heat gun to soften it a little. Wrap it around the throttle tube and let it cool. Put the throttle back together and job's done. Just tweak the length of the strip to adjust the stop.

Takes a few minutes to make, a couple of minutes to put in or remove and can be easily trimmed back progressively (scissors or tin snips) as the rider improves.

It's surprising how little throttle rotation you need on a 300 for someone starting out!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Pretty funny timing. My daughter in law decided she wants to ride trials. She barely rides a bicycle. My son brought her to my house for her first go. I told mim about a stop or at least a lead attched to the magnet.

He just slowly worked with her  But a throttle stop does serve a purpose while learning.!!@

2 hours ago, lineaway said:

Pretty funny timing. My daughter in law decided she wants to ride trials. She barely rides a bicycle. My son brought her to my house for her first go. I told mim about a stop or at least a lead attched to the magnet.

He just slowly worked with her  But a throttle stop does serve a purpose while learning.!!@

Another option for real beginners is to just wind the idle up and disconnect the throttle cable completely. They learn to use the clutch to control power right from the start, so when they get a throttle in their hand it's already automatic to pull the clutch when they want to "stop the world, I want to get off".
A throttle stop helps at step 2 and could avoid the posting of a lot of YouTube videos, thereby contributing to reducing global greenhouse emissions. 😁

• Haha 1

Domino did once make an adjustable throttle, don't know if they still do however.

The HellTeam here in Australia had them available a while back.

https://www.thehellteam.com/throttle-domino-variable

PS: I bought one years ago that never got used and still in unopened packaging, can sell it for $40 AUD plus postage if anyone is interested.

Edited by fourex
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/28/2023 at 7:59 AM, fourex said:

Domino did once make an adjustable throttle, don't know if they still do however.

The HellTeam here in Australia had them available a while back.

https://www.thehellteam.com/throttle-domino-variable

PS: I bought one years ago that never got used and still in unopened packaging, can sell it for $40 AUD plus postage if anyone is interested.

When the stop is removed, does these revert to fast action, or slow?  The white tube suggests they are fast action, so I'm not sure about fitting one.  As a beginner I'd benefit and so would my lad, as we've had incidents of whisky throttle and whilst I'm OK, it knocked his confidence a bit.

Can't find any info outside of what you posted and another store in Europe.  I thought maybe it would say on the box or something.

Cheers

On 8/12/2023 at 4:24 AM, lowside said:

When the stop is removed, does these revert to fast action, or slow?  The white tube suggests they are fast action, so I'm not sure about fitting one.  As a beginner I'd benefit and so would my lad, as we've had incidents of whisky throttle and whilst I'm OK, it knocked his confidence a bit.

Can't find any info outside of what you posted and another store in Europe.  I thought maybe it would say on the box or something.

Cheers

Don't know for certain but Domino would be silly to confuse us between white/black tubes on their limited throttle, so my guess is "fast throttle".

Buy their "limited" throttle and their "black" tube and you've got all bases covered in my opinion. 

PS: Check photo, definitely fast white tube. 

Domino Limited Throttle.jpg

Edited by fourex
Photo Added.
  • Like 1

On 8/17/2023 at 10:28 AM, fourex said:

Don't know for certain but Domino would be silly to confuse us between white/black tubes on their limited throttle, so my guess is "fast throttle".

Buy their "limited" throttle and their "black" tube and you've got all bases covered in my opinion. 

PS: Check photo, definitely fast white tube. 

Domino Limited Throttle.jpg

Thanks mate.

I think they have been discontinued as I can't find them anywhere, even manufacturers site.  If thats true, I'm sure it's because someone devised a simpler workaround, but I'm at a loss as only just getting into this sport. :)

Maybe the fast throttle is a good thing if it's limitable.  I'll have a ponder.

17 hours ago, lowside said:

I don't think so. Fast throttle gives you full power without too much wrist movement. The throttle stop just gives you less movement and less power. A slow throttle gives you more sensitive control for slow manoeuvring but the power is still there when the wind it on. It's my guess that you could change the throttle tube in a limited throttle assembly if you wanted to.

On 8/19/2023 at 8:38 AM, lowside said:

Thanks mate.

I think they have been discontinued as I can't find them anywhere, even manufacturers site.  If thats true, I'm sure it's because someone devised a simpler workaround, but I'm at a loss as only just getting into this sport. :)

Lowside, as I posted previously, I have one that is new/unused for $40 AUD if you decide that is what you want. I also have a Two or Three Trial used slow black tube for $10 AUD.  So $50 AUD + Postage from Australia to wherever, just saying.

On 8/19/2023 at 8:38 AM, lowside said:

Thanks mate.

You'd probably have been able to make and fit a stop like I made in less time than you've spent posting here! Just try it.

Seriously, it took me under 15 minutes to dismantle the throttle, measure, cut some plastic, heat it, trim & re-assemble. Cost absolutely nothing. You could use some sturdy cardboard to try it for 10 minutes or so.

It's dead simple, no precision required at all.

• Like 1

why go to all the work of melting gluing etc or cost  . just put a plastic tube ( to length) on the top of the inside of the slide with  cable running through it to stop the slide moving so far up and then you can cut it down as and when more throttle is wanted or remove it for full throttle 

2 hours ago, on it said:

why go to all the work of melting gluing etc or cost  . just put a plastic tube ( to length) on the top of the inside of the slide with  cable running through it to stop the slide moving so far up and then you can cut it down as and when more throttle is wanted or remove it for full throttle 

Yep, same nett result, but getting into the top of the carby is much harder on many bikes than getting into the twist grip!