Gasgas

bikespace

Noticed Wiggy's bike today had a fancy looking high capacity fuel tank, so I grabbed a few pics, and asked Julian about it.

I think this one is a one-off at the moment (apart from the purple prototype in the picture). Edit: Apparently Dabster's got one as well, so at least three of them.

Even with the thickness of the material used at the moment (much thicker than a Sherco) it is already 200g lighter than an existing GasGas fuel tank.

One worth thinking about for Scotland? Or, just for those Gassers with liquid metal holding their alloy tank together :chairfall:

post-218-1141595166.jpg

post-218-1141595211.jpg

Edited by bikespace

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Couple more pics. I believe there is a possibility of putting them to market through Shirty, if there is sufficient interest. I think there will be. No idea why Gasser go with alloy if these can be bigger, lighter and less troublesome.

post-218-1141595278.jpg

post-218-1141595299.jpg

Edited by bikespace

I spoke to Julian about it too and meant to get some pics, but left before the end. They are being designed with the Scottish in mind. Looked very slick on Wiggy's bike.

Fits fine on the 250 I have. I have the 1st prototype which has been refined slightly for the one Alexz has now. I don't know who is the better tester( :chairfall: ) but I got round the wallace with no problems. Steve colley had an extra capacity ally one at the scott last year so think it would be good for that aswell and any road trials where you can always do with a bit spare.

From what I understand this is the High capacity version, there could be a standard size one too, big advantage of that is see through so you don't have to overfill all the time in clubtrials and the advantage of lightness and no problems occasionally associated with the standard Ally ones as mentioned above.

My manual for the 05 pro,

says that the capacity is 3.5 liters.. so ? is the 'larger' one not larger or is GG just having us on ! lol

I may of misheard him as it certainly looks like it would hold more than that.. No doubt bigwig or the dabster will enlighten us before too long :chairfall:

i saw that yesterday and did'nt understand the point (apart from it looked good) but now you said its lighter than stock....... yeah!

p.s. that bike was a f***in' machine! :chairfall: and superb ride he had.

I thought a trials bike( or any off road bike) that was to be used for road work i.e.SSDT, had to have a metal fuel tank for impact/accident safety-reasons?

I recall ( from a long time ago) that you had to replace the old Honda XR200? tank with a fabricated alloy one if you wanted to 'MOT'it for the road!

Anyone know for sure?

Dont know when this actually changed and stopped becoming an issue. In the 70's UK bikes had metal tanks whilst everyone else in europe got plastic. If you can remember montesas used to have an ally tank under a fiberglass cover. Nowadays its not really a problem as most vehicles have plastic tanks anyway ( i think the latest transits do for example). So I dont hink you need a metal tank for an MOT any longer

I thought a trials  bike( or any off road bike) that was to be used for road work i.e.SSDT, had to have a metal fuel tank for impact/accident safety-reasons?

I thought I remembered something similar, but from a while ago I think. You've got a Sherco like me Ham2. No problem there, and much thinner than the current Wiggy version.