2023 Gas Gas TXT 300

Butch

8 hours ago, apriljo said:

I taught a friend to start my bike and after pulling the bike backwards he was moving the kickstart until he felt resistance before kicking. It won’t work if you do this since you’ll be turning the engine out of the sweet spot. There’s a bit of easy resistance at the start of the kick when you do it with the trick and you want to kick through it.

i agree with Captain Bob. You should bring the bike to the dealer and have them start it. It’s a lot harder to ignore a customer standing in the store with their new bike in tow claiming they were sold a lemon than it is to ignore a phone call. 

What a great trick.  I was struggling with this myself until I tried this. Definitely the way to go.  And yes, the dealer is definitely the alternative if he cannot get this bike started.  I'm thinking however, that he will get it fired right up.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, CaptainBob said:

I went to my garage and started my 300 TXT again today just for a test.  It was a cold engine.  I was wearing sneakers (a first!) and used the start procedure I outlined to you earlier. I did not use my stand this time but was flatfooted.  It was a piece of cake.  Started on the second kick.  Choke was on and no throttle applied when I kicked it over.  Very little resistance is felt when I kick the bike.  BTW, I had forgotten to turn the gas on, and it still started.  Don't forget to turn on the fuel petcock.  It should be pointing downward.

You need to remember.... roll the bike backwards in gear until you are up against the compression. You need to do this for every kick.   Squeeze in clutch, pull out kick starter and kick.  Do not try to set the Kickstarter on the compression stroke.  Leave it alone and just back the bike up till you hit compression, flip out the kick start lever and give it a healthy kick. 

That being said, I think I would assume you have a flooded engine and you may want to try to start the bike a little differently.  Do not put the choke on.  Open the throttle wide open and follow the kick procedure I described.  I would kick it that way a few times first just to clear any flooding condition out.  Maybe 5 or 6 times.  Use a stand to step on to make it easier.  My guess is, she will fire up!

You are about 7 to 8 hours away from me.  I am in Berlin, MA.  A road trip might be fun.  Let me think about it.  Maybe grab the wife and get her out of the house for a couple days.  😁  Try the method I described and let me know how you make out.

Forgot to mention.  Before, and when you give it a kick, hold the front brake lever to keep the bike steady.  If you are old and feeble like me, you may need to lean the bike towards you a little to get your foot on the kick starter.  That is why I mentioned to stand on a bike stand, stool or something, to lift you off the ground.  Makes it easier.  Once you get it started and see how easy this procedure is, you will not need the stand.  Good luck!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Glayne said:

I do know the wide open throttle trick to clear a flooded engine, I would not suggest it in this case, possibly only after a good tip or flip over on these Gassers. Choke on, no throttle for cold start. 

I have flooded my 300 TXT several times when I was first trying to figure out how to start it.  I ended up having to kick it with a wide open throttle to clear it.  Obviously, you turn it down when it starts.  WOT is not an issue when clearing a flooded engine on these bikes.  What is your reason for not using WOT?

• Like 1

I don't think playing with the throttle will help. Mine starts cold with choke, no throttle. What is missing is the *sharp fast kick*

Yes I understand opening the throttle opens the slide and allows more air past the piston helping clear the mixture of fuel that is not within ignition parameters. If the kick is not *sharp and fast* enough  the venturi is likely to also bring in more fuel, in my opinion. 

Yes the rolling back in gear trick works good, but no better than neutral once you have the kick figured. After a crash or a stall I may use the roll back if there is no hurry and terrain allows. When I shut off my bike I find neutral and when I want to re-start it I use a *sharp fast kick*

Gas Gas would have never sold as many bikes as they have if it was designed to roll back/clutch/kick/release clutch/roll back/clutch/kick... In my opinion. They can be goofy bikes, not that goofy.

I had the starting woes as well and wanted my 02 TXT Edition back when I upgraded. Certainly not now although I had great times with the TXT.

Butch, is there a trials club anywhere nearby you? Someone there would certainly have the knack, or as I call it the *sharp fast kick*

• Like 1

Glayne, when you kick the bike with WOT, you have the fuel shut off.  It absolutely helps.  That technique is SOP on a flooded two stroke. I just cleared a 100cc Yamaha twin 2 stroke that had sat for 10 years and had a ton of fuel in the crankcase.  The only way (without disassembly) I could get the bike cleared and started was to kick with WOT.  Lots of kicks!  lol   In terms of the 300 TXT, I will further say, kicking that beast over from its compression stroke is extremely difficult, especially for us older folks.  I weigh 265lbs, been kickstarting bikes all my life and trying to start that beast cold in neutral on the compression stroke is impossible for me flatfooted.  I occasionally get it started when warm flatfooted.  When cold however, I have to get up on a stand or something.  I have had a lot of guys a lot younger than me tell me they use a stand, rock, or lean the bike against a tree and stand on the pegs to aid in starting as well.  And even when use the stand (cold engine) giving it a sharp fast kick with choke on and no throttle, she doesn't start easily.  These bikes have a reputation for starting hard.

The rolling back techniques is child's play and she starts every time and works MUCH BETTER than the neutral sharp kick on the compression stroke.  Maybe that's why they say different strokes for different folks?  lol  My guess is you are a much younger guy.  I'm happy your TXT is an easy starter.

• Like 1

They are a pig to start, very hit and miss, I'm thinking of selling my 2022 as my right knee is a bit loose and the constant kicking and sudden stop on the foot peg is not good, I find if I can lean it against a tree and stand high in the pegs it starts easy, Obviously not easy stalled in an offcamber muddy hill, I might go TRS lecky start 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, retromlc said:

They are a pig to start, very hit and miss, I'm thinking of selling my 2022 as my right knee is a bit loose and the constant kicking and sudden stop on the foot peg is not good, I find if I can lean it against a tree and stand high in the pegs it starts easy, Obviously not easy stalled in an offcamber muddy hill, I might go TRS lecky start 

retromic, try that rolling back technique.  It was a game changer for me.  She starts so easy now.  My right knee is bone on bone plus, being almost 76 doesn't help.  Just not as limber as I used to be..  I have zero difficulties starting the beast using that technique.

• Like 1

Hello again my trials friends! I have an update. First captain Bob my wife and I would love to meet you and your wife. Like I said I can't talk anymore but I write things I'm wanting to say. And the wife does my talking lol. But seriously we would enjoy that. So today the dealership picked the bike up and took it to the shop. The salesman we bought it from called my wife and said it started on the first kick. I actually skipped a cancer treatment and we went down there to see what he did. Granted he's a young guy 30s probably but he's not a big brute. He's probably not much bigger than me and I'm a skinny guy. Thanks to cancer but I hope to gain about 15 back. Bike was cold. I felt the motor. He didn't pull the choke. He just gave it a really fast hard kick. It took about 5 kicks this time but it lit up. I was happy, embarrassed, and excited all in one big emotion because it sounded perfect! It purred like a kitten and just sounded awesome. No smoke at all (67:1) until he grabbed a lot of throttle then I believe it was clearing itself out. Just sounded so good 😊 now if only I can start it. I didn't try the rolling it back method yet. I can't wait until it comes back tomorrow and I am going to try that. I'm going to try it with cat work boots and also motocross boots which these Fly boots are very heavy. So I know the bike is okay. I was excited to finally hear it run. I wanted to take a spin around his lot but didn't take my helmet with me. I have an old MX helmet and I just bought a Jitsie helmet for the trials bike. Probably wear these Fly boots until I can afford trials boots. But it's not the bike. Embarrassing as it is I guess I'm just not kicking it fast enough. He even told me I have a good hard kick but it's not a fast kick. He said I look like I'm starting an old Harley? So I hope the rolling in gear method and the heavier boots are the solution? I don't know. But I really appreciate everything everyone has told me. I hope to update this saying I started it in a few days. Thank you all so much 

Edited by Butch
  • Like 4

Don't be too embarrassed. They are difficult bikes to kick start.  My DR650 is much easy by comparison.  On your first few rides be mindful of how powerful and responsive the bike is too.  A field with some room to run is safer than a backyard with obstacles within 20 yds.  Especially if you might be a little rusty or not yet on your A Game health-wise.  It's a snappy bike. It surprised me!  Lol

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

That is good news Butch!  I figured it would start.  It should, it's a new bike.  Wait till you try the rolling method.  You are going to crap when you see how easy it is.  You will not need your big heavy boots. Like I said earlier, Last time I started mine, I was wearing sneakers.  I do not recommend that but, it can easily be done.   When on the compression stroke, it does take a heavy fast kick.  That is why getting on a stand and kicking it is easier (but still difficult to start).  But, when you try the rolling method, you are going to be quite surprised.  Still give it a fast kick. The kick will go through a lot easier than when on the compression stroke.  BTW, when I had the mechanic start mine when I picked it up, he couldn't do it flatfooted.  He needed to get a bike stand to stand on.  The dealer told me there is a trick to these and once I figured it out, it would be OK.  He never told me the trick though!   I will shoot you a PM if we head out your way.  That is a really good possibility.  Maybe, within the next two weeks.  Do not worry about the speech issue.  I am also person with cancer issues.  10 years ago, I was told I had less than 6 months to live.  But that is another story....  🙂

• Thanks 1

I probably did get a little rusty Scottro and I'm going to take the first ride in an open area. I have a domino slow action throttle to install so hopefully that tames the explosive power down a bit. I'm definitely going to be very careful. I spent enough of this year down in Montefiore hospital in Pittsburgh this year 😁 I had enough white sheets lol. Captain Bob I'm so glad you survived your cancer too. It's scary. I'm still doing radiation. A week and a half left yet then spend winter building back up. I have to gain weight back too but I promised the wife I will be careful lol. Not funny but it is in a way. Yes we have to go to Johnstown today for a treatment and I want to try that roll back in 2nd gear, hold brake, pull clutch, get up on bike and give her a hard fast stab. Maybe that will be the magic ticket. I heard that same thing about being a knack to start a Gas Gas and it's a special technique but it's interesting that only the 3 of you on this forum cared to share that information. I read that it's a rite of passage of owning a Gas Gas 😂😁 well maybe it is but I never really looked at it that way. It's funny though after having 2 stroke bikes since 73 that they got so weird to start. I wish Gas Gas had an e-start option. I'm sure they would sell them! Well this topic has gotten really interesting. Lots and lots of great information on these 2 pages. I like this trials Central it's cool. I will let you know what's happening. It's the drama of the Internet lol. Thanks again guys and gals who helped me on here. I'm hoping to give you an update by tomorrow.

I don't think hard starting is generally an issue with modern 2 strokes.  I got a 2022 kx112 as a pit bike on steroids, and it's a breeze to kick start. Granted,  it's smaller displacement. But it's rated at 25-30hp, so compression has gotta be up there.   It's easier to start by a factor of 10-20.   I have new 2-stroke lawn equipment and chainsaws that fire right up too. Apples to oranges probably...  I think the geometry of the bike, design of the kick start mechanism, and compression are a perfect storm on the txt300.

• Like 2