I'm over biked. Older twin shock?

carlanthony663

Yeah, there is nothing wrong riding a twun shock. My problem I grew  up in the 70"s as an expert and just love to prove to modern riders what they can do. Its not good for me or the bike!

Most vintage trials are made for more apropiate sections, but not all. It is far easier on a modern bike. A 1998 is not a modern bike. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, sherpa325 said:

It's not to hard to dumb down a 250 gasgas. A mate of mine had the same predicament and basically tamed his gasgas by gearing it down, flywheel weight, low compression head, slow throttle and eventually a thicker base gasket. The bike is so easy to ride and still has enough power to ride decent sections. It's also very easy to start and obviously still has great brakes and suspension and is 30kgs lighter than a twinshock. The other late model bike that is easier to ride is the Yamaha engined Scorpa. They are a great bike with a very easy motor to live with. Twinshocks require a decent level of mechanical ability to get them to perform, generally speaking the brakes are average as is the clutch and suspension and you can spend a lot of money on them if you are not careful.

Yamaha engined Scorpa/Sherco = Sherco/Scorpa TY 125F.   

17 minutes ago, MIckyT said:

Get a Beta Evo 125 cc great reliable bike and so easy to ride.

Sadly a fair bit above the budget that unfortunately. I use the trials for winter training for the summer road racing, that soaks up the majority of the finances. Decided to keep the 250, add a slow action throttle, look into a low compression head and see if anyone supplies an additional flywheel weight which is looking unlikely!

Just ordered a slow action throttle and the superstars at John Short have been able to order me a low compression head from S3. New tyre being fitted on Saturday also. Hopefully that will make a significant enough difference to get some genuine traction and learn how to ride properly.

Thanks for all the advice guys, really appreciate it.

• Like 2

Don't think it's been mentioned

( and may not work ?)

Could the ignition timing be retarded just slightly to soften the power ?

Usually this can be done easily for no cost, and easily reversed if it doesn't work.

7 minutes ago, djr said:

Don't think it's been mentioned

( and may not work ?)

Could the ignition timing be retarded just slightly to soften the power ?

Usually this can be done easily for no cost, and easily reversed if it doesn't work.

I have read about this, apparently it is a potential solution. One I probably should have tried before spending £145 on the low compression head! The slow throttle tube is now on, new tyre fitted and awaiting the arrival of the head in the post. I'll be sure to give the timing a try too just to see what effect it has.

• 4 weeks later...

You mentioned a Montesa and I haven't seen anyone reply to that yet. The Montesa was the first trials bike I rode that I felt comfortable on as a beginner, and I ended up buying one myself. I got the 300RR and I did not at any point find it too much for me, and I still don't. I enjoy four stroke traction and despite the bike being heavier than a two stroke, it hasn't limited me in any way. Can't recommend them enough. If you get the chance to try one that may best answer your question, although it may take a good half hour or riding to get used to how a four stroke feels if you've only ridden two. Cheers!