Halfords Fork Oil Query

348mate

I would imagine Halford's don't make it and whoever does will make it to a standard. I can't see it doing any damage, after all you're forks are not really high tech.

Would go with boofont on this......cant imagine Halfords would have there own fork oil. Didn't someone on trialscentral a while ago say that a lot of oil companys use the same product, and the only difference is the package ?

I design hydraulic systems. In the US at least, there are so many private label brands of motor oil, hydraulic oil, gear and two stroke oil. etc. etc. One vendor I deal with will do any label you want as long as minimum of couple hundred liters. Any additive pack or recipe you want also, but that costs big money. Pick a standard recipe off the 'menu', they will put a new label on it and voila!, I'm in the oil marketing business.

So my point is, many off brand unknown names are very good products, the same additives as the top name and top$$ products. The issue is, I just don't know. There is no way to tell what cost and level of recipe they chose, was it leftover stuff from small lots, or in between blends from the unknown mix tank, or different suppliers each time depending on where WalMart or Mills Fleet Farm bought it from?

I think even these odd names today are SO much better than top name oils 20 years ago that you can't go too far wrong using any product nowadays. Just change it often and keep the dirt and wear particles out. So using the shop name shouldn't be an issue. Better than none, or old oil!

Personally, I experiement until pick a brand name that seems to work well in the clutches, buy it ahead whenever it comes on sale, stay with it, and change it often. For example, among all our bikes, I use less than 20 liters a year in transmission fluid changes. Paying an extra couple bucks per liter isn't much over the year. Gives me the warm fuzzy peace of mind, or 'placebo effect' anyway.

kcj

Well, until someone can do a direct comparison with other fork oils for me i dont know how to rate it? 

And halfords fork oil is better than no fork oil.

All fork oil is hydraulic oil with a bit of coloured dye in it. If you want to pay extra for some with extra 'additives', such as 'seal swell',its down to personal choice.Quite why you would want to swell your seals though is beyond me.