125cc World Class Vs Us Expert Class

mich lin

Well said Lane, i've seen many a 70's/80's rider come back into the sport and either start riding regulary again or just once or twice a year. One thing I can tell you I never underestermate them, riding TY175 or 240 Fantics etc: they certainly are capable of walloping a lot of young bucks on their 06 machinery.

On the matter of the 125's, one of our top juniors here in West Aus went to europe last year rode in Italy and got soundly beaten, this season he's riding a 125 here in Aus with greater precision and control than his old 250 and beating all commers regulary.

If Bernie was as proactive as Lane on this forum and had exactly the same opinion (which i'd say he would) would you guys give him such a hard time?

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hate to sound negative but, are there that many people surprized that the best 125 riders in the world did better than our expert class?

I wasn't. They are the best in the WORLD.

BTW, Ronnie is on a 125, has been on a 125 and will be on a 125.

Cody Webb is about 7 foot tall and 220 lbs. Can't see him on a 125

and being able to compete head to head with a well trained "popcorn fart" sized

rider.

In a earlier post I said LINE selection is what makes them better.

I'm sure there are other things too.

BUT I think ENGINE SIZE makes NO difference 125 vs. 250-300

I DIDN'T want to have someone start a 125 battle AGAIN

IF your taught to ride EXACT lines.( 2" to the right, rear to the left 4"

Now Weight back and pop. Front wheel left 2" OK set) Your probally going to get pretty good.

Don't matter what SIZE bike. If you can put the bike in the

right spot 95% of the time it makes it look easy. Line up wrong, start off on the side of the tire instead of staight up then add mud and easy dry rocks turn to hell when only half the tire is on the ground.

There Youth and Junior Minders did the same things that Doogie's,Caby's, Raga's did.

Have the rider place the bike EXACTLY where they wanted it.

The US guys just started the next part of the section where they ended up.

That looks close enough ? Lets go around that rock?

Insanity is doing the same things over and over and expecting different results!

I think this applies to the present US Trials scene. The NATC must have given up on ever having another US World Champion because the system they have in place hasn't worked for 3 decades yet they refuse to consider radical change. Maybe they don't care about the WTC because their mission statement says that they are only concerned with the US National C-ship. Even if that's the case, they have not been very successful in the Pro class with only 5 people competing in the 2005 series.

Mich, the insanity definition applies to you as well. You've been saying that the US trials scene needs to be transformed to get results in the WTC for a long time to no avail. It's time to kick down the door and put on the full court press and gather those who support your well reasoned proposals to make the best possible effort to get this thing done. Where do I sign up and what can I do to help? Let's get this ball rolling!

If I may be so bold to comment on this subject as I saw all the US experts go through to Geoff & Bruce and then the WTC youth straight after. There were two obvious differences:

[1] The WTC youths know how to get grip and feather the power delivery working the suspension with their leg work and most of the US guys didnt display that skill trying to rely on raw power to do the work.

[2] The US experts balance control wasn't of the same calibre as the WTC youths. Many times I saw multiple dabs lining the bike up for a step or hill climb

Thats my observations for what its worth.

IMHO :)

You need to get your minders more involved too. Calling out time remaining and saying "You're doing great" when the rider is paddling his way up the section in a Kinell style ride in a vain attempt to get out for a 3 isn't minding.

A number of people asked me about Michael Brown's minder and commented on how good he is. Apart from being a total Sex God in the world of Trials :) he is actually (as much as it pains me to admit it!) bloody good at what he does. Very much a Martin Lampkin style of minding. Apart from being on top of time, he's right there, he knows the line, he's calling position, he's calling encouragement. They're a team. I didn't see that with the US guys.

A number of people asked me about Michael Brown's minder and commented on how good he is. Apart from being a total Sex God in the world of Trials :D he is actually (as much as it pains me to admit it!) bloody good at what he does. Very much a Martin Lampkin style of minding. Apart from being on top of time, he's right there, he knows the line, he's calling position, he's calling encouragement. They're a team. I didn't see that with the US guys.

I agree, his minding was up there with there very best. (not commenting on the sex god thing though although after I saw you with Jake, I can understand why you would make that comment :) )

Maybe I could start a 'Minders How To' type school

"Right then yer mouthy *******s, shout me through this section for a clean and you get your certificate"  :D

Can you help with my overwhelming urge to listen to Country music and say "y'all"? It gets to you y'know. :)

Alan, when the US riders already know everything and have all the support they think they need. Of course they don't need my help.

As for being on top the world podium anytime soon with team Stuntrev! I doubt it! We have done OK for a private team from a 3rd world trials country.

OUR RESULTS

* The first US trials team to score FIM world championship points since Ryan Young in the middle 1980s @ Spain 2000 15th in the world (Best American)

* The oldest rider ever to score FIM world championship points @ Spain 2000

* 2 youth national titles

* 2004 AHRMA national vintage championship

* Two time US Trials De Nations team

* US women's open winner

* Junior class winner, European championship San Marino 2004

* 8th overall Women's international trial Italy 1998 (Unoffical world championship) Best American

* 9th overall Women's international trial Italy 1999 (Unoffical world championship) Best American

Not amazing results but worth the effort!

Will we continue international trials? I don't know!