2 Stroke Mix

angusgill

The manual says 2% (50-1) i would recomend that you do that(fully synthetic).

the 2 stroke oil lubricates the main bearings and everything else, so its importiant you dont sieze up your bike (piston)

this is a very expencive repair as a friend has found out.

its better to have more than not enough... better to be safe than sorry ect...

its better to have more than not enough... better to be safe than sorry ect...

Not strictly true..... the stronger the oil mix that you put through then the weaker the petrol mix.... however too much oil can starve the engine of petrol and make the bike run lean. (Less fuel burning to the air mix). The oil only burns as a by product of the petrol combusting inside the cylinder. A lean running engine can run hot and therefore be more prone to seizures.

You could do a plug chop to see how your engine is running. A very black sooty plug will indicate that you're running too rich a petrol mix, black and wet then too much oil in the mix, very light brown then you're running too lean.

I'm no expert - but this is how I've been lead to believe it all is...

However the manual should give you the correct mix ratio as well as explainging what RON of petrol to use.

Shaun.

Too much oil in the gas will not make the bike run leaner, it will just foul plugs and run like crap. None of this is rocket science, just good common sense. To start with, use a good quality 2-stroke motorcycle oil, run it at the ratio the manufacturer recommends and then jet the carburetor correctly.

Trials bike engines are very forgiving lot and will put up with a fair amount of abuse, particulary running on the rich side. However, to get the most out of your bike, both for performance and longevity, it is important to pay attention to running the correct mixture, jet the carb properly, and service the air cleaner properly and regulary.

I run our trials bikes at 100:1, using Red Line two-stroke oil and have never had a fuel related problem. I only use one kind of two-stroke oil and stick to one ratio, and use Shell premium unleaded gas. then I tend to get pretty anal about the carb jetting, but that is just something I enjoy doing, and have been doing for the last forty years or so.

To start with, use a good quality 2-stroke motorcycle oil, run it at the ratio the manufacturer recommends and then jet the carburetor correctly.

I run our trials bikes at 100:1, using Red Line two-stroke oil and have never had a fuel related problem.

Don't Sherco recommend 50:1 ?

I have to admit I don't use anywhere near 50:1, but isn't that what they recommend?

The current Sherco factory recommendation is 80:1, which should be the absolute richest that you should ever run your bike. There are some oils that are not designed to that lean, so always try to run the proper oil.

It is a good practice to pick one brand of oil and gasoline, stay at one mixture (80:1 ~ 100:1) and jet the carb accordingly. If you constantly change oil brands, mixture ratio's, and even brands and octane ratings of the gas you will never be able to get a handle on the jetting.

• 2 weeks later...
The current Sherco factory recommendation is 80:1, which should be the absolute richest that you should ever run your bike. There are some oils that are not designed to that lean, so always try to run the proper oil.

It is a good practice to pick one brand of oil and gasoline, stay at one mixture (80:1 ~ 100:1) and jet the carb accordingly. If you constantly change oil brands, mixture ratio's, and even brands and octane ratings of the gas you will never be able to get a handle on the jetting.

I run AmsOil Sabre Professional at 100:1 in my Aircooled TY250 Twinshock that I regularly ride on the road with no problems at all!

Too much oil in the gas will not make the bike run leaner.

Must disagree with you on this. A carb mixes at a given ratio of air to liquid (vapor) content. Specific to the liquid content, as you increase the amount of oil, you decrease the amount of fuel. Take it to the extreme on too much oil, and there is hardly any fuel content in the mix. The less fuel, the more lean the charge going into the engine.

I suppose that in theory what you are saying may sound correct, but in reality it is not. The more oil you keep putting in the gas the richer the mixture...to the point that the plug will foul and the engine will die.