American World Champ

kramit

This states my theory exactly. If Pat could ride full time with the worlds best, and have been doing so for the last few years, it would make a world of difference. I think he has the talent and drive. It would also eliminate the point that being in Europe was very different and tough for him to adapt to. If you want to be a world champ, go to where they are riding, and living.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This states my theory exactly. If Pat could ride full time with the worlds best, and have been doing so for the last few years, it would make a world of difference. I think he has the talent and drive. It would also eliminate the point that being in Europe was very different and tough for him to adapt to. If you want to be a world champ, go to where they are riding, and living.

Sadly he has missed the boat. He needed to be in and around at both youth and junior level.All within 1 year of his age his peers like wigg Gomez challoner frrier moret have already done sevral championships, wigg and Gomez and jack within a year or so will all be top route.

I believe in the level of competition makes you better theory, and think Pat would be well served to go ride/live in Europe. He has mad skills, but would learn alot from the masters of the sport. I wonder how he balances out the whole enduro cross thing as well. Does this help or hurt him? I think its helping the sport of trials in the US overall, but worry its a distraction for Pat. (maybe a better paying distraction??) He is Mentored by one of the best in the buisness, so I have faith.

Go Pat! :thumbup:

Edited by laser1

Sadly, I think it may be totally impracticle to even attempt in this day. Without factory sponsorship, a place to stay, a second job to pay for food, one cannot just do Europe for Years.

Pat has developed the skillset! Putting it in application in Europe while time lagged and upset bowel will be a challenge in itself for him if on a trip to and fro. All this works against you!

If he gets over and has a good day he may do well, if not, then just another learning experience. I doubt he has unreal expectations as he is a pretty level headed kid.

To be honest, I think his teknique on the modern bikes is already beyond anything Tommi Avahla could show him, who was(is)here spending time.

It is a different day. And Pat is on that different level. Damn'ed hard to set sections for, that is for sure! Without killing some!

I have to agree with Mark to some degree. The kid has talent and will get to the top in whatever series he rides. The difference is DESIRE. Does he have the desire to be World Champ. You will never become World Champion unless you live that life. If you have to sleep on floors you sleep on the floors. Hopefully on one of the top 5 riders floor. You meet the minders/tuners of the top 5 and beg them to haul your bike to where they are riding and help them and maybe get to ride when the big guy takes a break. You will never become a World rider without being one of them. Could he do it ? If he packed his bags with the thought he ain't sending them back across the pond until he does do it he could.

M.

;) THAT is a very strong statement

BUT we will see, I think that Pat has a new commitment and purpose to his riding!!!!!!!!!! Ask anyone who has say him ride in the last 6 months!

The EASY thing to do would be to stay home AND BE THE BIG DOG HERE! Pat has set up a very tough schedule for him this year and I for one hope he is very successful

:thumbup:

This is going to sound a bit silly but your asking a lot from an American to give up his late teens and early twenties as an American to become a European. Commitment to be the best at something is one thought but trials is about fun here in America. We do this for fun. Very few of us do this for work. When we see this as more work than fun then it starts to change rolls for us. We have a tendancy to let work be work and sport be sport in this country. Europeans as a culture tend to merge the two. They do the same with food and work schedule. I welcome the European view point by the way I don't want to stereo type.

What ever we can do to make that transition easier for our top riders would be best. It is our job in this country to make hard, dynamic, and fun sections to help our riders progress. What are we not challenging our riders with?

--Biff

I agree with Spinner that Dabsters comments are a bit strong! I do not pretend to really know Pat, only met him once! I know Noel, and got to talk a good bit with him in 08. I know a lot has happened since then, but I can see the progression in his riding for sure. If he has comitted to riding in Europe this year, it only proves to me he has more than enough drive to win! Otherwise why would he go! Sorry Dabster, but anyone from North America does not come all the way over there just to be an also ran! I do not think you can question his talent, commitment, drive and professionalism. A great combination for someone to succeed!

I agree with Spinner that Dabsters comments are a bit strong! I do not pretend to really know Pat, only met him once! I know Noel, and got to talk a good bit with him in 08. I know a lot has happened since then, but I can see the progression in his riding for sure. If he has comitted to riding in Europe this year, it only proves to me he has more than enough drive to win! Otherwise why would he go! Sorry Dabster, but anyone from North America does not come all the way over there just to be an also ran! I do not think you can question his talent, commitment, drive and professionalism. A great combination for someone to succeed!

I saw pat ride in the wtc in 08 and more closely in 09. I never said he didn't have talent. He was an also ran because for whatever reason he didn't show enough commitment to stay longer. The route to succes at world level is to be at the WTC period.

Professionilism would come with experience. Drive would allow him to stay here and work.

I don't buy this Americans get it harder its just as tough for all the unsupported guys from the uk as they have to struggle with finance, language and everything that pat had to.

Our teenagers are, well, teenagers!

I also saw Pat ride in '08 and know his dad Noel and was a supporter of him in his early career, but I like many others, was wholly disappointed in his attitude to his first visit in Europe. I also saw him ride on his own turf at Sequatchie and again he looked like he didn't want to be there and wasn't enjoying it at all even though he won the first day but got beat by Jack Challoner on the second day where he looked like he just gave up.

My feeling is that if he wants to be a world champion, it will be through peer pressure, family (Graig thats you!) and expectation from the US contingent and not be coming from within himself. I don't believe that's enough to be a world champion.

Feel free to prove me wrong - I've said it before, The US like winners! It would do the US trials scene a massive service if he won a world champs :thumbup:

IMHO ;)

Edited by AtomAnt

I'll say it again TIME WILL TELL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And Dabster there is a difference, The british lads with no support have at least 10 other british lads with support around to talk to at the least!

I'm not making excuses for Pat but no one is making him go back, HE WANTS TO. Let's let his riding do the talking not tear him down before he has another go.

I'll say it again TIME WILL TELL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And Dabster there is a difference, The british lads with no support have at least 10 other british lads with support around to talk to at the least!

I'm not making excuses for Pat but no one is making him go back, HE WANTS TO. Let's let his riding do the talking not tear him down before he has another go.

Tell me which 10 lads have more support than pat?

Is pat coming back? When for how long?

No one is tearing anyone down the thread was quite different to start with you yanks turned it round to "pat can be world champ" not anyone else.

I'm Back

Gone riding all weekend at the Sooner Cup.

If you reread my posts no where do I say anything about Pat being World Champion, Granted I'm sure that is his GOAL!!

As far as the support, you have more connection than I do so I'll get back to you on that.

One more thought, by your standard anyone not winning is an also ran?? :P